Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Photoclass III

Hey everyone,

just so you all know what's going on, I thought I'd share some pics from my photoclass. we are through week 5, and this weeks topic was exposure: low key and high key pictures.
we were doing some in class shooting, sticking our camaras into each other's faces, and I was shooting the shooting - so her is a couple snap shots just for your amusement:

[Image: portrait%201.jpg]

[Image: portrait%202.jpg]

so homework is taking low key and high key pictures, here are some of the ones I am thinking of showing for low key next week, what do you think?

[Image: lowkey1.jpg]

[Image: lowkey2.jpg]

[Image: lowkey.jpg]

[Image: lowkey3.jpg]

Thanks for looking,

uli

Shot #3 (and #5 sorry!!!) wulinka are just fantastic............. good luck... Cool

FujiFilm Finepix S5600

i also think the face of the old man is reaqlly good

uuhmm looks like the cover of ...

[Image: lowkey%20copy.jpg]

byrt, you really got into this one, huh Wink you think I should try Tongue ??
I must admit I like it myself.

thanks sooo much for your comments!

uli

byrt what have you done uli's pic that yellow frame is just a shocker!!!!!!!!!!

RolleyesRolleyesBig GrinBig Grin

Yellow border makes it like the National Geographic :p
Your "portrait 1" pic didn't show, but your "portrait 2" pic is good Smile It tells a lot Tongue from all the text I didn't understand what was happening, until I saw a pic and then understood what you meant by "sticking cameras in each other faces"

So, what did you learn?
What are highkey and lowkey exposures? Can you explain to me? hehe, or maybe I should be searching google? :O:O From the pictures I think it's to do with making things dark?

hey adam you got it Big Grin

From what I understand, high key is mostly white tones, and low key is mostly dark tones.

Some of the tones are a little bit too dark, I can't make out what the pics are of.

I love the "National Geographic" shot though!! Fantastic!

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

I feel the same as Schell. I do like the old fella.Smile

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Quote:Yellow border makes it like the National Geographic :p
your quick Adam...........I can see the correlation now

Byrt, perhaps if it was red I would have thought of "time magazine"

Uli, its a great shot could be on either!

Thanks guys.

the "high key" "low key" thing actually fits nicely into the dicussion we've had about metering modes. for low key pictures, you underexpose most of the frame, in order to show some detail in the highlights.
So for exmple, if I had exposed #2 (hanging flower) for the water surface that fills most of the frame, it would have turned the famous middle gray and the flower would have been overexposed, so that the colors wouln't have been distinct.
that's what you really want spot metering for, I would say, so you can expose for the highlights in your picture. xou can kind of see, why evaluative metering wouln't work.....

I think the picture of the chinese is still a low key, because all the hood and stuff surrounding his face are underexposed to show the detail in his face. I don't know if it really is a "classical" low key, because the brighter parts are quite a proportion of the frame.... who cares.

today we have some 30+ inches of snow in New York, so here's a high key (exposed for shadows).

[Image: highkey.jpg]

Smile Smile Smile

uli

Hey awesome stuff, Uli! I'm glad you're enjoying your classes...

I really like your portrait of the old man - and Christian is right - it belongs on the cover of NG! Big Grin

It gives me thoughts to participate in a photoclass like this myself. I'm sure it would improve the quality of my shots and give me a lot of knowledge. Smile
I just enjoy the portrait of the old man. Do you have it in like 2048x1536 pixels? I would love to see this foto on the wall of my room. If you don't mind.

wulinka Wrote:today we have some 30+ inches of snow in New York, so here's a high key (exposed for shadows).
That is just spectacular. I'd be out shopping for a white frame for it if I were you.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com