Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Photographing the Aurora Borealis

I am being tempted by a Fred. Olsen cruise advert "In search of Norway's Northern Lights". This runs from my nearby port of Southampton UK in Feb. or March 2014 for 15 days, working its way up the Norwegian coast as far as Alta and back.
I would welcome any photo tips on capturing these fantastic skyscapes ( if they decide to show up !). I use a Nikon D7000 with a 17-55 f/ 2.8 and also carry a 10-20mm Sigma. Have any of you already got the tee shirt ?

Im so not a landscape photographer but i did a photo trip to Iceland earlier this year with an excellent Icelandic photographer http://www.iuriebelegurschi.com/, inspirational guy and taught me so much, check his shots of the Lights. And the equipment you have will be suitable with a good solid tripod for those long exposures..

(Nov 4, 2013, 11:33)alberm Wrote:  Im so not a landscape photographer but i did a photo trip to Iceland earlier this year with an excellent Icelandic photographer http://www.iuriebelegurschi.com/, inspirational guy and taught me so much, check his shots of the Lights. And the equipment you have will be suitable with a good solid tripod for those long exposures..

Thanks very much for this link. I have visited his site and the images are stunning. I am a little concerned about my physical ability to cope with any backpack trekking to the photo sites after leaving his transport vehicle as I am now getting on a bit. How demanding was it in terms of distance and gradients please alberm ?

(Nov 18, 2013, 06:26)Wight snapper Wrote:  
(Nov 4, 2013, 11:33)alberm Wrote:  Im so not a landscape photographer but i did a photo trip to Iceland earlier this year with an excellent Icelandic photographer http://www.iuriebelegurschi.com/, inspirational guy and taught me so much, check his shots of the Lights. And the equipment you have will be suitable with a good solid tripod for those long exposures..

Thanks very much for this link. I have visited his site and the images are stunning. I am a little concerned about my physical ability to cope with any backpack trekking to the photo sites after leaving his transport vehicle as I am now getting on a bit. How demanding was it in terms of distance and gradients please alberm ?

One thing to bear in mind is that you might feel it easy to try to get your shot from the deck of the ship.
When the ship is anchored overnight it might well feel stationary to you but a long exposure on a tripod will still have some movement from the ship. So, if they'll let you go ashore perhaps you will be able to find a spot with some foreground which you need for the best result.
P.S. I love the IOW.

(Nov 30, 2013, 12:59)Gil Cox Wrote:  One thing to bear in mind is that you might feel it easy to try to get your shot from the deck of the ship.
When the ship is anchored overnight it might well feel stationary to you but a long exposure on a tripod will still have some movement from the ship. So, if they'll let you go ashore perhaps you will be able to find a spot with some foreground which you need for the best result.
P.S. I love the IOW.
Thanks for that Gil. Most helpful Smile

Luckily most of the sites i visited were very close to the jeep we used but it would be worth dropping him a note to get more info on his trips for the distances Wink

(Dec 1, 2013, 04:33)alberm Wrote:  

Luckily most of the sites i visited were very close to the jeep we used but it would be worth dropping him a note to get more info on his trips for the distances Wink
Thanks Alberm . . . I will do that . Happy Xmas !

I haven't reached Northern Europe so far, but I would definitely go there in a heart beat, even just to see the lights, not photograph them. If you want to see an unique spectacle, go for it! Smile

(Dec 3, 2013, 07:46)kNox Wrote:  I haven't reached Northern Europe so far, but I would definitely go there in a heart beat, even just to see the lights, not photograph them. If you want to see an unique spectacle, go for it! Smile
Thanks for that Smile Only cause for concern is that I am now aged 82 and although as keen as ever, my legs are not as strong as they were and if I fall, I don't bounce so well. Bits tend to fall off !! Have a great Xmas ! Smile

(Dec 3, 2013, 11:27)Wight snapper Wrote:  
(Dec 3, 2013, 07:46)kNox Wrote:  I haven't reached Northern Europe so far, but I would definitely go there in a heart beat, even just to see the lights, not photograph them. If you want to see an unique spectacle, go for it! Smile
Thanks for that Smile Only cause for concern is that I am now aged 82 and although as keen as ever, my legs are not as strong as they were and if I fall, I don't bounce so well. Bits tend to fall off !! Have a great Xmas ! Smile

Hm, I hadn't thought about that. Don't worry, I'm 24 and if I fall I'm more likely to crack the floor (and myself) rather than bounce, so you're not alone Big Grin

(Dec 4, 2013, 06:28)kNox Wrote:  

Hm, I hadn't thought about that. Don't worry, I'm 24 and if I fall I'm more likely to crack the floor (and myself) rather than bounce, so you're not alone Big Grin
The answer is for you to get out there and do the hard stuff while you're still young and fit. I have trekked the Canyons of America and the Canadian icefields so at least I now have memories ( and images ) to look back on. You make tomorrow's memories today Smile

(Dec 4, 2013, 06:54)Wight snapper Wrote:  

The answer is for you to get out there and do the hard stuff while you're still young and fit. I have trekked the Canyons of America and the Canadian icefields so at least I now have memories ( and images ) to look back on. You make tomorrow's memories today Smile

Thanks! I sometimes get caught up in everyday stuff and I just forget to "get out there". I'm planning to make a lot more outdoor trips soon. Smile

(Dec 4, 2013, 06:55)kNox Wrote:  
(Dec 4, 2013, 06:54)Wight snapper Wrote:  

Thanks! I sometimes get caught up in everyday stuff and I just forget to "get out there". I'm planning to make a lot more outdoor trips soon. Smile
Good on you. "Thinking's good . . . doing's better" so they say Smile

Haha, you're right! Big Grin

Fortunately, photography has allowed me to go out a lot more, so I've already started doing some of the stuff I'd been thinking!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post