Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Picking up my 5D tomorrow.

Should have the 5D just in time for the wedding shoot on the weekend - will let you know how it performs.

Cheers,

Chris

Canon stuff.

Wooo! Good on you! Tell us more! Big Grin

As soon as you can........................Full subjective review please!!!!

(Holds stopwatch, taps claws, stocks up on biscuits, and waits).

Cave canem

Woooo! Exciting!!!
So you are going to use it on the weekend wedding shoot? I guess most Canon cameras (all cameras?) should basically be the same so shouldn't take very long to get used to it right? Smile
Exciting!!!!! wooooo!! Smile

I advise against taking new equipment to do a commercial shoot like a wedding. Unfamiliarity with the control layout may cost you shots - and I hate basing a commercial shoot on untested equipment. Just my $.02

Toad Wrote:I advise against taking new equipment to do a commercial shoot like a wedding. Unfamiliarity with the control layout may cost you shots - and I hate basing a commercial shoot on untested equipment. Just my $.02

Makes sense to me, I wouldn't even rely on my new equipment for a field trip the fiorst couple of times, I took two sets of gear!

Toad - I would normally agree. However, I have a 20D (almost identical layout/controls as the 5D) as a second body and am very familliar with it.

If all else fails I can always shoot the wedding on my 20D (as I usually do).

I think it will work out well - anyway may have to eat my words after the weekend.

Will let you all know.

Canon stuff.

Well all the best of the weekend! I want a full rundown on the new camera after you get back! Big Grin

I now have the 5D in my hands.

First impression is the LCD on the back - it is huge and the image is so much clearer (almost twice the size in terms of pixels to view the image).

It definitely looks like a 20D on steroids - with a bit of extra bulk all around and bit more heft to it. I actually prefer the look of the 20D to the 5D just slightly.

The grip is a definite improvement.

The shutter is about half as loud as the 20D - much more acceptable.

More later - I want to play now :-)

Canon stuff.

PLAY PLAY PLAY PLAY PLAY PLAY PLAY!@!!!! oh my ! excitement!!~!@#$ Smile

ready for the wedding on the weekend?

I just found out that I am invited to a wedding tomorrow;
so I'll bring my camera and play along

Hey Adam - wouldn't that be amazing if it is the same wedding I am going to photograph Smile

Shawn and Sandra are the couple I am shooting for.

Cheers,

Chris

Canon stuff.

Would have been amazing!!!
but it's another couple's wedding I am attending (and just-so-happenning that I'm bringing my camera along).

I will be a good wedding-attender and not get in the way of the pro Tongue

The nice thing about this wedding is that it's at uni! so before/after the wedding, I can study here... haha
I'm in the library now, just borrowed a reserve book which I can borrow overnight, but must return by tomorrow, how convenient! since I'm coming tomorrow!

Time to go play your 5D! woo! excitement!

Hit that congregation with a heavy word on tithes there mate...that's one heck of a love-offering!!(arf!)

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Well - the wedding came and went - 8GB of compact flash cards put through the 20D and the 5D.

The 5D was wonderful - in use it felt just like the 20D. All controls were right there where I was used to them.

The exposure of the 5D seems to be more accurate than the 20D and I felt that the 580EX flash was really a perfect match for the camera. Dynamic range definitely seems to be improved on the 5D as well. I also feel that it is not as noisy at ISO 1600 and 3200 as the 20D.

The large LCD and the quiter shutter were a boon as well.

I shot all day and didn't have to change the battery once. Manual says that it is good for 800 shots - so about 200 less than the 20D.

It really performed very well. The only sad thing is it looks so much like the 20D it seems like you don't have a new camera - until you put it through it's paces of course!

The best thing about it was how the full frame allowed me to use the wide angle end of my 24-70 lens - it made a world of difference not having to change the lens whenever I had to do a wide shot.

Will post a few pictures later.

Cheers,

Chris

Canon stuff.

Wedding Shooter Wrote:The best thing about it was how the full frame allowed me to use the wide angle end of my 24-70 lens - it made a world of difference not having to change the lens whenever I had to do a wide shot.

Awesome stuff Chris... good to hear that your new cam is serving you well.

I'd like to hear more about your adjustment from the 1.6x fov crop to full frame - did you miss the tele end? And the extra wide angle would have added some new opportunities, I'm sure...

Well - having the 20D as well meant that any tele shots could be done with it.

The 24-70 is a perfect match for the 5D. I had my 85 1.8 on the 20D and shot the whole ceremony with those two lenses.

I used the 10-22 for some shots of the interior of the limo.

Canon stuff.

Hi

Could it be possible to post some shots with 10-20 lens?

Regards

Christian

I will try to get some up in the next few days.

I will post them in the Photo Showcase section under Canon 10-22 Shots. Of course these will be from a 20D - can not use this lens on the 5D.

Cheers,

Chris

Canon stuff.