Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Portrait Practice...

I'd really like to try my hand at portrait photography but don't want to shell out for the requisite lighting equipment... Is it worth-while to experiment with common household lighting? (Taking shades off of lamps, etc.) Or, will the results be so poor that it's not really practice...

<><
Camera: Panasonic Lumix FZ10
Image Management/Editing:ArcSoft PhotoBase4
Advanced Image Editing: Adobe PhotoShop 7

Absolutely!

I'd suggest starting with window light and a reflector (a large piece of white board from the craft shop works, as does a silver sun reflector for cars.)

With household lamps you can go for the "bare bulb" effect, or use a desk lamp to get more directionality.

Then you can graduate to inexpensive hardware-store halogen work lamps (just don't use them with children or animals - these lights get VERY hot!)

The only thing to watch for is white balance - especially if you mix the lights. For example, window light will appear bluish while tungsten will be very orange-yellow; mix the two and it's a good candidate for conversion to black & white. Wink

Thanks for the encouragement & tips... I'll see if I can get my wife to sit for me, though I'll probably have to promise not to post anything here... well, what she doesn't know won't hurt her! Wink

<><
Camera: Panasonic Lumix FZ10
Image Management/Editing:ArcSoft PhotoBase4
Advanced Image Editing: Adobe PhotoShop 7

make sure she doesn't have any spys on here =P

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10
Apple MacBook Pro 15" (Retina Display)

"What do you want to pack today?"

Cool.. let us know how you go! That's the beauty of digital - you can experiment and get results straight away. And what's more, you can photoshop the ones that don't turn out right! Smile

Waste nothing =)
where in film we couldn't experiment and the crap ones were crap for ever, in digital you leae the good ones and photoshop the bad ones =)

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10
Apple MacBook Pro 15" (Retina Display)

"What do you want to pack today?"

That's true about film, Dewey - sadly true - but a great capture in film is a classic forever - when it's hot, it's better than digital by a mile - but there is no saving a miss - like you can in digital.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post