Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Practicing Digital Photography: Buildings & Homes

Here is your opportunity to post some photographs you have taken of buildings and homes. They can be occupied buildings, unoccupied buildings, homes, historical buildings, or non-historical buildings.

Post some general information such as the type of camera you used, settings used, as well as info about the setting if you can for the other members.

Feel free to add to the thread as you like and have fun practicing your digital photography skills!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Taken on a visit to my favourite city in the UK--- Edinburgh. Sadly it was dull and overcast. I think the building is New College Edinburgh University. Shot from Princes Street, across the park, up to the Old Town.
For some reason that baffles me (novice folks) EXIF data has gone awol. Nikon P500 Bridge used.

http://img.gg/fhAoXN9

Link is dead? Ed.

Melrose Abbey, floodlit for Xmas. Sony a290. 1.3 sec @F3.5 18mm Sony lens. ISO 800. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

Thanks Ed. f/4.8 1/250 iso160 14mm ( 35mm equiv= 76mm)

http://img.gg/8NmFyhE

Hughenden Manor, a Victorian mansion in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, England. In the 19th century, it was the country house of the Prime Minister, Benjamin Disraeli. It is now a property of the National Trust.

This photo was taken one afternoon in July this year (2013) -

Pentax K-5, 40mm, f/5, 1/800s, ISO 160, processed in PaintShop Pro X4.

Philip

Coleton Fishacre, Kingswear, Devon. Built in the arts and craft style with art deco interior, for Rupert D’Oyly Carte, the house and gardens are now owned by the National Trust.
Visited back in 2008 so this one was taken with my canon 350D, 18-55 kit lens. 1/80sec at f14. Just a slight correction of levels and sharpening in PS.

The Cathedral and Abbey Church of Saint Alban - St Albans Cathedral, Hertfordshire:

This was taken in the soft sunlight of yesterday afternoon, at a distance of almost a mile away, from the hillside across the valley of St Albans Verulamium Park. Pentax K-5II & 75-300 zoom at 240mm, f/6.3, 1/400s, ISO 200, processed in PaintShop Pro X4.

Philip

(Dec 9, 2013, 18:56)MrB Wrote:  The Cathedral and Abbey Church of Saint Alban - St Albans Cathedral, Hertfordshire:

This was taken in the soft sunlight of yesterday afternoon, at a distance of almost a mile away, from the hillside across the valley of St Albans Verulamium Park. Pentax K-5II & 75-300 zoom at 240mm, f/6.3, 1/400s, ISO 200, processed in PaintShop Pro X4.

Philip
Impressive depth of field for such a large aperture. Steady hand or tripod?

Galashiels War Memorial is always well mentioned, designed, as was the Fountain, by Sir William Lorrimer. Top pic, Memorial only, bottom includes the Fountain all overlooked by Sir Walter Scott. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

Here’s another clock tower, a bit smaller this time. It is the Clocktower on the Institute (village hall) at Kingsand, in South East Cornwall. Built to commemorate the coronation of King George V. Taken this year with my Canon 60D. Hand held at 1/500sec and f13. I gave a talk to the WI who meet in the room on the first floor, up the outside stairs. The men have a snooker club on the ground floor, with access straight off the road.

(Dec 10, 2013, 02:54)Dean Wrote:  Impressive depth of field for such a large aperture. Steady hand or tripod?

Depth of field is large mainly because of the distance of the subject, Dean - about 1500 metres. The lack of blur is a combination of steady hand, sensor stabilisation, and fast shutter speed due to using Av Mode with almost the lens's widest aperture selected.

Philip

Like the clock tower Dean, right side needs straightened a bit though. Ed.

Chimneys three.
The type's they are, indicate, in older days, Baths were available for use. They are in the town centre.

Top, Conservative Club.

Middle, Salvation Army.

Bottom, Liberal Club, it is old!!

Buildings still exist, but not as used as listed. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

This is just a test. The local clubhouse @ the bowling green. Nikon P500 Bridge. Landscape mode,1/1000 @ f/3.5, iso 160.

[Image: 20_04_13_0083_edited-1_281280x96029_281280x96029.jpg]

Test worked Mike. Surprised Landscape Mode, used F3.5. Ed.

Apologies Ed. My error. Should be Sport mode. " Senior moment ".

Ta Mike, I've had 3 this morning already. Ed.

Nice contributions to this thread - thanks for sharing with us! Very enjoyable!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Some of Gloucester Cathedral, the local 'jewel in the crown', which is approximately 1300 years old.

This one taken from 'Castle Meads' area, about a mile and a half away.

Techie Stuff.

Nikon D300, F/8, 1/60th, ISO 200, Bias +0.3, 177mm, Metering-Pattern, Tamron SP70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD.

Looking up the main isle towards the alter. The two visitors provide some perspective and scale. F/4, 1/60th, ISO 200, 18mm, 2 x SB800 & 2 Nissin 340T Strobes.

180 degrees about face from the one above.
F/4, 60th, ISO 200, 18mm, 2 x SB800 & 2 Nissin 340T Strobes.

Main Entrance.

The Tower.

Looking at these, if I'm to do much more of this, I'm really going to have to get one of those fancy Perspective Control lenses to put a stop to these converging verticals.

Donations in plain brown envelopes to ....................................... Well, perhaps not.Undecided

Great going thread.
Local Chapel, outside and inside, taken for a book. Ed.

Sony a290. 1000th @F5 18mm Sony Bog Standard lens ISO 100

Interior, 1/30th@3.5 same lens. ISO 125, tripod

Attached Files Image(s)

Ed,

Cracking shots. I particularly like the interior. Was that available light and some support system? It looks too warm to have been flashed, even with CTO gells. OK, maybe it's just my eyes. Smile

Phil.

Ta Phil. Available light, (Cynic friend used to say, if you have a flashgun, it's available)! As you can see from the exterior shot, lovely day, and all available!! lights were switched on. Was for a book illustration, but a misunderstanding between the Author, in Australia, and his local contact, were not wanted, specific interiors, pertinent to the Sculptor, a local man, was the brief. Impressed with the book, was a labour of love, doubt it made money, author was related to the sculptor. I did not charge for all the pics ,taken over a month or so, in and around the area, got a very honourable mention in the book though. Cheers. Ed.

I took a great number of photographs of buildings for my book, just a few years ago. In fact it was the need to take the photos that started me off with photography. I found it very difficult. More so than I imagined it would be. Main problem, which none of images posted here have had, was that often I would travel up to London for the day to visit particular buildings and find that they had waste skips, cars, vans, etc parked outside or the Council had dug up the road and the scene was full of traffic cones and barriers. Many times it was impossible to get far enough away from the building to get a full shot or there was a lamp post bang straight in front of the sculpture I wanted to detail. I learnt a lot about cloning in PS though.