Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Practicing Digital Photography: Flowers

Here is your opportunity to post some of the photos you have taken of flowers. They can be from any season, or time of the year. Post some general information such as the type of camera you used, settings used, as well as info about the setting if you can for the other members.

Feel free to add to the thread as you like and have fun practicing your digital photography skills!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

I have a strange feeling this will be one highly popular thread Big Grin

Starting with a simple one..

[Image: 9397941081_35893833f8_c.jpg]

Taken with Sony HX1 (manual focus, everything else was on auto mode).

The garden is looking very tired now so looked back to the summer. Here is an orchid photographed around the Italian lakes back in June. Taken using a Canon 100mm macro lens on a Canon 60D. 1/20 sec at f 5.6. I have cloned out a bit of damage on the main flower head, selectively brought up the contrast a little and applied a vignette to lighten the background a bit more.

Both goodies. Ed.

Big start barbara, here are a few of mine

Attached Files Image(s)

Both the dahlia and the frittialia are lovely. Nice work, well done, melvin. particularly like the soft tones of the dahlia.

Lovely. Ed.

Nice - thanks for sharing! Can't wait to see more! :0)

One old one:

[Image: 8215765419_52bb9af241_c.jpg]

Taken by Sony HX1, 1/4 sec, f 2.8.

Interesting image. Did you choose f2.8 because you were looking for the shallow depth of field or was it to keep the shutter speed to something you could hand hold? With no visible background you could easily have reduced the aperture and brought the whole of the flower into focus. Great detail in the flower though and interesting composition. Overall - I like it.

i apologize for omiting any details, camera was a canon 5d, with 100mm is macro lens, apeture was f4 shutter was around 1/60th, hand held

Used my Fugi finepix (not an SLR) with the Program setting ISO 800. THis is a flower I could not resist because of the water droplets

Feel free to add to the thread as you like and have fun practicing your digital photography skills![/size]
[/quote]

Attached Files Image(s)

Great shot for a compact, “Ivan”, especially at such an ISO. Good job.

Great, I would clone out the "Blobs" on the right side. Ed.

(Oct 14, 2013, 04:25)Dean Wrote:  Interesting image. Did you choose f2.8 because you were looking for the shallow depth of field or was it to keep the shutter speed to something you could hand hold? With no visible background you could easily have reduced the aperture and brought the whole of the flower into focus. Great detail in the flower though and interesting composition. Overall - I like it.

Thank you!

It was because of a DOF. I wanted it shallow and focused on the center of the rose to show off the texture and the complexity as much as possible. Also, with any other setting background would be visible/textured and I wanted to avoid that.

Early morning light, bit hazy..

70-300 f6.3

This is a small part of a wild flower meadow, photographed in August this year. Settings on Pentax K-5: 40mm, Aperture Priority f/9, 1/2000s. Strange settings as I carelessly hadn't checked that the ISO was left on 1000. But on the positive side, there should be no camera shake or wind movement of the flowers!

Very nice on the recent additions to the thread! Thank you for sharing with us! Really enjoying them!

(Oct 30, 2013, 05:31)alberm Wrote:  Early morning light, bit hazy..

70-300 f6.3
Now I know what shocking pink looks like. Was it really that vivid?

(Oct 30, 2013, 06:32)MrB Wrote:  This is a small part of a wild flower meadow, photographed in August this year. Settings on Pentax K-5: 40mm, Aperture Priority f/9, 1/2000s. Strange settings as I carelessly hadn't checked that the ISO was left on 1000. But on the positive side, there should be no camera shake or wind movement of the flowers!
You can’t beat a wild flower meadow. Beautiful. Next year, if you can return, try getting down lower, almost level with the flower heads.

(Oct 30, 2013, 08:07)Dean Wrote:  
(Oct 30, 2013, 05:31)alberm Wrote:  Early morning light, bit hazy..

70-300 f6.3
Now I know what shocking pink looks like. Was it really that vivid?

+5 vibrance in LR, no other PP, shot in Kerala, another shot without PP just as vibrant Wink

(Oct 30, 2013, 06:32)MrB Wrote:  This is a small part of a wild flower meadow, photographed in August this year. Settings on Pentax K-5: 40mm, Aperture Priority f/9, 1/2000s. Strange settings as I carelessly hadn't checked that the ISO was left on 1000. But on the positive side, there should be no camera shake or wind movement of the flowers!

Summer seems so long ago, lovely image Wink

Thank you Dean (and thanks also for the suggestion for next time), and thank you Alberm.

And I agree with Barbara - lots of delightful images here.

All colourful, good for testing printer? Thanks. Ed.

My Canon T5i with a 100 mm Macro. I probably had a 4x magnifying lense on it as well but I can't remember. I had 18 MP to work with and I cropped it rather severely to get the image. Hand held at ISO 100 and 1/320. Took quite a few shots to get just a few in focus and this was the best of the bunch.

Attached Files Image(s)