Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Practicing Digital Photography: Flowers

From the Ranch - 2012

[Image: 7040876181_00d3d18118_b.jpg]

Primroses

I enjoyed a lunch yesterday at the garden centre restaurant, then had a wander around. In one of the greenhouses, there were thousands of primroses bursting into bloom:

And this is an example of one of the pots:

Images shot with a Pentax MX-1 compact camera at ISO 200, using aperture priority mode and the natural light coming into the greenhouse (overcast outside); the first was at the full frame equivalent focal length of 35mm (wide angle) and the second at 112mm (short telephoto).

Philip

Pot Marigold

[Image: 1505225_10203297149976362_902072860_n.jpg]

Nikon D300 with cheap s/h Sigma 24mm macro lens I picked up on eBay. Lit by LED lamp in a light tent. F5.6, 1/40 sec using tripod.

This marigold was flowering in my garden in January!

A decorative tulip apparently. At Chatsworth House, Derbyshire, UK.

Irises

A photo recorded near the water gardens at Cliveden, Buckinghamshire, on 26/02/2014:

Pentax K-5 II with 35mm prime lens, f/8, 1/80s, ISO 500, processed in PaintShop Pro X4.

Philip

Two photos taken in a churchyard at London Colney, Hertfordshire yesterday (1/4/2014), using a Pentax K-5 II with an old 35-70mm zoom lens:

1. Spring Blossom

ISO 500, 70mm, f/11, 1/125s.

2. Sunlight Through Daffodils

ISO 160, 70mm, f/11, 1/100s.

Cheers.
Philip

More excellents. Ed.

To each his own!

Thank you Ed.

Cheers.
Philip

(Oct 14, 2013, 09:15)lvanderzee Wrote:  Used my Fugi finepix (not an SLR) with the Program setting ISO 800. THis is a flower I could not resist because of the water droplets

Feel free to add to the thread as you like and have fun practicing your digital photography skills![/size]

Love this sharp and stately image Invanderzee!
Some of my greatest flower shots came through my Fuji Finepix.
Z

Taken through a double glazed window from the sunlounge.

Techie Stuff.
Nikon D300, Tamron 70-300 VR Zoom @300mm, F/8, 125sec, M/mode - Pattern, Aperture Priority, White balance - Auto.

Hello Phil.

The flower with the water droplets is beautiful and, although haven't seen the real thing, I would guess that the wonderful colours are spot on. Sadly, for me the background (both the different flowers and the white framework) spoils an otherwise very pleasing photo. Small point - the top flower has been clipped at the top.

Cheers.
Philip

Phil, full marks to the window cleaner, you drop a few points. Salutations. Ed.

To each his own!

Taken in the kitchen sink, hence the black background. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

Beautiful photo, Ed.

(But you need to get some bleach on that sink.)

Cheers.
Philip

Fabulous Rose shot Ed. Although an unusual location, have you tried some form of 'drain cleaner'? Smile

Best regards.

Phil.

Rapeseed:

Many of the fields around here are now glowing yellow with the flowers of the rapeseed (aka oilseed rape) plants.

1. Part of a field of flowers:

2. Looking up at a few flowers:

Both shots were taken with an old (film era) Pentax 28mm prime lens on a K-5 II, so it had to be focused and set up manually, at f/8, 1/320s, and ISO 160.

Cheers.
Philip

Lovely. Ed.

To each his own!

Philip,

It just goes to prove, 'there's nothing wrong with those old style manual lenses'. It's just that we'd forgotten how good they are. Mind you, the composition and exposure decision was all yours, so maybe you've forgotten just how good YOU are, as well. Smile

Regards.

Phil.

Thank you, Ed and Phil.

Cheers.
Philip

(Nov 2, 2013, 17:06)danielbennett2020 Wrote:  My Canon T5i with a 100 mm Macro. I probably had a 4x magnifying lense on it as well but I can't remember. I had 18 MP to work with and I cropped it rather severely to get the image. Hand held at ISO 100 and 1/320. Took quite a few shots to get just a few in focus and this was the best of the bunch.

Excellent shot. Well done. JobySmile

(Apr 6, 2014, 12:54)EdMak Wrote:  Taken in the kitchen sink, hence the black background. Ed.

Never mind Aggie & Kim(UK readers should get that), this is a beautiful shot. Smile Joby

Thanks all.
This was taken for a friend, the rose bush is over 100 years old. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

Lovely flower, Ed. But there are some strange "contour" effects going on in the background?

Cheers.
Philip

Early days editing, before Photoshop, may have been Gimp, which I did try for a short period, or a Prog I got from a friend. Trying to blur the background a bit. Might have another go sometime. Taken about 3 years ago. Thanks. Ed.

To each his own!

we have no garden, wife's brother 3 miles away, suffices. One of wife's roses, prolific, was a good year. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!