Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Practicing Digital Photography: Motorcycles, ATVs, and Similar

Here is your opportunity to post some of the photos you have taken of motorcycles. I know that we have some already posted in the thread related to cars and trucks. With motorcycle season here for many of us, I am adding a dedicated thread specifically for motorcycles, ATVs, and the like.

Post some general information such as the type of camera you used, settings used, as well as info about the setting if you can for the other members.

Feel free to add to the thread as you like and have fun practicing your digital photography skills!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Cadwell Park Lincolnshire UK
Nikon D5100
70.0-300.0 mm f/4.0-5.6
ƒ/6.3 300.0 mm 1/1000 200 No flash Shutter speed priority AE
full exif at https://www.flickr.com/photos/penneybr/1...2111062534

Visitors

Attached Files Image(s)

Suzuki Boulevard C-50. Looks nice. Do you like it? Where do you ride?

Here are some of the pictures I took last Saturday of two vintage motor cycles. One a Velocette, Venom Clubman, 500cc single cylinder of 1958 vintage. This has been stripped to the frame, sand/grit blasted then stove enameled/powder coated and then all other parts stripped to their bare components repaired/replaced and then reassembled. As you can see she’s like she was when she rolled out of the Velocette factory in 1958.

The same procedure has been carried out on the 1966 Triumph Speed twin 500cc twin cylinder vertical air cooled.

Both these have been restored by a father and son outfit who operate no more than a half a mile down in the village from my house. Now they are on the lookout for (and I quote) anything out of the ordinary, which will prove to be interesting to restore. Personally I was thinking Arial Square Four, or maybe a Vincent Black Shadow, would be worthy of these chaps time and undoubted talents.

Hope you enjoy the pictures. Please let me know what you think of them. They are presented here in the order in which they were taken.

As usual, the camera was: Nikon D300 and used a Nikkor 18 -200 VR zoom with an 'on camera' SB800.

And here are some more.

And a few more.

I do hope this is of interest to at least some of you. Many thanks for taking the time and effort to look. Oh, and let's have a vote of thanks to Barbara for letting us have the opportunity to display our love of motor cycles in their various shapes, sizes and descriptions. Thank you Barbara.

Best regards.

Phil

Thanks Phil, great "Portfolio", must let Brother in law see them. He is ardent Aerial restorer, has 7, 1926-55, I think. His youngest, bought new, sold on, and then on/on. He stumbled onto it, is a garden, enquired about it, was ready for scrap heap, owner happy to let him take it away. Now, as new, all done himself, sends nothing away. Talented people around. Ed.

To each his own!

Getting his 1926 ready for a run. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

Thanks for those kind words Ed.

The Aerial in #9 is a very good example of engineering at its best. Elegant, simple, trustworthy and reliable. All facets which seem to be irrelevant to life in 2014. Sad really.

Best regards.

Phil.

Hello Phil.

Great photographs of those beautifully restored bikes - they look like new! I especially enjoy the detail shots - the clarity is very good.

Cheers.
Philip

Just a few months short of her eleventh birthday and still serving me well.
Quick shot taken with my Huawei.
1/500@f/1.8  ISO 50  3.66mm ( 27mm equivalent )

[attachment=7375]

Regards to all,
Mike.

" Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst "
Henri Cartier - Bresson.

That looks in great condition, Mike - many more happy years of riding still to come! (I had my Honda CX500 for 25 years.)

Philip

Well thanks Philip. I hope so too. Then again , I reach 70 in June. Possible I conk out before my trusty steed.
CX 500, that brings back memories. Was a mass of new tech and innovation when it first appeared in the, I think, late 70's early 80's. Had a reputation of having a rock solid engine. You must miss it !
Regards,
Mike.

" Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst "
Henri Cartier - Bresson.

Yes, Mike, I got my first CX500 in 1979. For me, its real innovation (and probably the reason for its reliability and longevity) was its relative simplicity - a shaft drive two-cylinder push-rod transverse V-twin power-plant, everything so accessible that a full-service could be done at home in a few minutes! Sadly, that one was written off when a car pulled out of a side road, quite literally right in front of me - I was very lucky to get away with only my left arm fractured in three places, but it was another year before I could pull a clutch lever. I then managed to find a very low mileage used CX500, in exactly the same colour scheme as my first. That is the one I used with great pleasure and without any major faults for the next 25 years, although I will admit to being only a fair-weather rider! I do miss the CX and biking generally, but it had to go, as my hips proved to be not as robust as the bike!

Enjoy your magnificent machine for as long as you can, and take care.

Philip

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post