Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Practicing Digital Photography: Night Time Photos

Here is your opportunity to post some of the photos you have taken during the darker evening hours - night time photography.

Post some general information such as the type of camera you used, settings used, as well as info about the setting if you can for the other members.

Feel free to add to the thread as you like and have fun practicing your digital photography skills!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

By the light of the

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice - you are welcome to share more details about capturing this photo if you would like.

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

ƒ/25.0 52.0 mm 30 100 No flash Shutter speed priority AE
Full exif details at https://www.flickr.com/photos/penneybr/13937187876/

ƒ/22.0 18.0 mm 25 100 No flash Shutter speed priority AE
full exif at https://www.flickr.com/photos/penneybr/13957259126/

Perhaps a bit eerie over Lake Erie.

Attached Files Image(s)

Brian, in shots like those I think it is good to include the location in your post. I have never been there but, in Google Street View, it looks as though they were both taken from the A15 in Lincoln, the first on a footbridge over the road near the River Witham, and the second from the centre of a pedestrian crossing.

I like the first one more - it is a very good shot of both the cathedral and the light trails (but perhaps the verticals need a tiny bit of straightening). The short blue/white trails on the left of the road - presumably that was an emergency service vehicle?

Cheers.
Philip

(Apr 28, 2014, 11:41)MrB Wrote:  Brian, in shots like those I think it is good to include the location in your post. I have never been there but, in Google Street View, it looks as though they were both taken from the A15 in Lincoln, the first on a footbridge over the road near the River Witham, and the second from the centre of a pedestrian crossing.

I like the first one more - it is a very good shot of both the cathedral and the light trails (but perhaps the verticals need a tiny bit of straightening). The short blue/white trails on the left of the road - presumably that was an emergency service vehicle?

Cheers.
Philip

A police car

Melrose Abbey, floodlit for Xmas. 1.3 sec@F3.5. 800 ISO. 18mm Sony 18/55mm. Hand held, jammed againsts Surrounding railings. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

Steam Age.

Attached Files Image(s)

Very nice

Here are a couple of photos I have taken with my Canon 600D. The first photo was taken at Felixstowe Dock f/4 ISO 800, 1/15 sec exp and 55mm focal length in manual. The second was taken at Orford Quay on auto using f3.5, ISO 800, 25 sec exp. Opinions and tips would be very gratefully received.

with regards Jane

Attached Files Image(s)

Jane, if these are, "As seen", then you are happy. Any post processing? I would like to have seen a bit more detail/lightness. Well done. Ed.

To each his own!

(Jun 6, 2014, 02:41)EdMak Wrote:  Jane, if these are, "As seen", then you are happy. Any post processing? I would like to have seen a bit more detail/lightness. Well done. Ed.

Thank you Ed. I have sharpened them both a little and played about with the brightness and contrast in the first one. Still learning about post processing.
Jane

Are these, "over the top"? Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

(Jun 6, 2014, 03:50)EdMak Wrote:  Are these, "over the top"? Ed.

The Orford photo with the lobster pots is better around the baskets, but the water behind them looks funny to me. The other one is much better. Could I ask what you did and how? As I say I have only just started using post processing. I have got Corel Paintshop Pro x6 and any tips are welcome. Thank you
Regards Jane

Working on small file size, 130/320 approx, as opposed to original, makes a difference. The Felixstowe, was sharpened, which adds contrast, then slight brightness/contrast until I was happy with result. Other was opened in Camera Raw, which allows a fair bit of fine tuning, I just move sliders until I get what I want. Use P/S CS4E. Next time as well as Manual, try Auto, I am always impressed with it's capabilities! Cheers. Ed.

To each his own!

(Jun 6, 2014, 12:45)EdMak Wrote:  Working on small file size, 130/320 approx, as opposed to original, makes a difference. The Felixstowe, was sharpened, which adds contrast, then slight brightness/contrast until I was happy with result. Other was opened in Camera Raw, which allows a fair bit of fine tuning, I just move sliders until I get what I want. Use P/S CS4E. Next time as well as Manual, try Auto, I am always impressed with it's capabilities! Cheers. Ed.

Hi Ed, Sorry for the delay in replying to you. Thank you for these tips, I will now go try them out on other photos I have taken.
Regards Jane

Moonglow.

Almost identical to #1, so apologies to 'I kiss horses'.

Techie Stuff.

Nikon D300, ISO200, F/16, 400th/sec, 300mm, sharpness hard, auto white balance, hand held whilst propped against a wall.

Taken from my back garden 13/06/2014.

(Jun 16, 2014, 12:55)Phil J Wrote:  Moonglow.

Almost identical to #1, so apologies to 'I kiss horses'.

Techie Stuff.

Nikon D300, ISO200, F/16, 400th/sec, 300mm, sharpness hard, auto white balance, hand held whilst propped against a wall.

Taken from my back garden 13/06/2014.

For some strange reason I was unable to edit #19, therefore, as above, but, with a little editing in PhotPlusX5.

Attached Files Image(s)

Middle America travel............

Attached Files Image(s)

Earlier tonight I saw these two perched on 'Telephone Cables' outside and overhanging my front garden. So being unable to resist the temptation; Ladies & Gentlemen may I present Walter & Dorris Pigeon. They seem to have been around and together for an eternity, well, at least the last five years or so!!

Techie Stuff.

Nikon D300, F/7.1, 1/25sec, ISO200, 200mm, M/Mode Centre Weighted, Manual Exp, On Camera Nikon BS800 on TTL/FP/BL direct flash. at about 50yds distance.

Well spotted Phil, and, composed. Ed.

To each his own!

Thank you Ed. Got to admit I was quite chuffed, as with all birds, they can fly off with no notice at all. My apologies to everyone; in the Techie bits, it should have read On camera Nikon SB800 (NOT BS) Smile .

Made me giggle