Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Practicing Digital Photography: Roads & Roadways

Here is your opportunity to post some of the photos you have taken of roads or roadways. They can be from any location; they can be paved or not. Post some general information such as the type of camera you used, settings used, as well as info about the setting if you can for the other members.

Feel free to add to the thread as you like and have fun practicing your digital photography skills!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Edinburgh City Bypass, through the windscreen.
Nikon Coolpix, 1/110@F2.8. 6mm.
I was not driving!! Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

Thank you! Looking forward to seeing more! :0)

(Oct 5, 2013, 12:06)Barbara G. Wrote:  Here is your opportunity to post some of the photos you have taken of roads or roadways. They can be from any location; they can be paved or not. Post some general information such as the type of camera you used, settings used, as well as info about the setting if you can for the other members.

Feel free to add to the thread as you like and have fun practicing your digital photography skills!

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice! Welcome to the forums! Can you tell us a little more about this photo achesley?

(Oct 10, 2013, 19:53)Barbara G. Wrote:  Nice! Welcome to the forums! Can you tell us a little more about this photo achesley?

I-70 in Utah, West bound to California on my motorcycle. As I crested the rise, Bang, the scene jump out at me. Taken on the move with a Minolta Dimage Z1 on Auto/Landscape. No processing.
Wink 

I was going to post an image but I haven't got a url (web site). Is there some where on shuttertalk one can temporarily use please?

(Oct 12, 2013, 12:36)Animator Wrote:  I was going to post an image but I haven't got a url (web site). Is there some where on shuttertalk one can temporarily use please?

When you open up the REPLY window to what you were typing your message in, scroll further down after doing a description of the photo and you see ATTACHMENTS:
New Attachment: Choose File. Go to your picture that you want to add, double click it and add it.
lol , I learned more about it after adding my photo then being asked for a comment. ;-)

Size is an issue, the site will tell you if it is too big, personally, about 300Kb. Ed.

First, thank you to the person who answered my query :-))

I took the photo on holiday recently. Thought it was an unusual 'Fork in the Road'.

Canon 50D camera
1/125 sec at f/7.1
ISO 100

This is Krupp Ave in Michigan. I love driving down this street to get home in the fall.    

Nice one. I would add more contrast, and sharpen, big difference, to me. Ed.

Just gotta stop to help a turtle out.
Camera was my old Minolta Dimage Z3 which met with an unhappy ending being dropped at about 65 mph. Photo was at F8 Shutter 250 ISO 50 Pattern was Landscape. Actually camera was in the auto mode and Landscape.

Attached Files Image(s)

(Oct 14, 2013, 13:49)EdMak Wrote:  Nice one. I would add more contrast, and sharpen, big difference, to me. Ed.

As you see I am a complete newcomer to the forum and read the comments with interest. I tried sharpening and adding more contrast to see if it did indeed improve the pic. I think it does, slightly.

Would you help me by adding a couple of guidelines as to when sharpening might be useful? And what does it actually do?

Cheers.

Attached Files Image(s)

Wow! I think you did a great job on this! And, by the way welcome to the forums!

To me, you can add sharpness to make the image more vivid. If done properly, it can add more quality to the existing photographed image.

How to Increase Sharpness of a Photo

This article may be helpful for you.

(Oct 19, 2013, 14:09)Barbara G. Wrote:  To me, you can add sharpness to make the image more vivid. If done properly, it can add more quality to the existing photographed image.

How to Increase Sharpness of a Photo

This article may be helpful for you.

Thanks for the tip and for the link. I learned a lot there, not only about sharpening but also other stuff like how to kiss and how to make a coffin! How good is that?

The single track road through The Quiraing, Isle of Skye with the mist creeping in from the sea.
Canon SX40HS, 1/240, F4, 25mm, ISO 200. Camera set to auto.

[Image: TheQuiraingroadsmall_zps1f7b7010.jpg]

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed.”
Ansel Adams

I was camping on Red Squirrel Road (north of North Bay, Ontario) a few weeks ago. These 4 guys would roll by once or twice a day and I could hear them coming. Caught them from a good distance with my new 100 to 400 mm Zoom on a Canon T5i, shot at the 400 end. Can see the foreshortening perspective.
Oops! Had a problem. Been told the file maximum size is to be 1024 kb. How do I reduce a full size photo to the required posting size?

(Oct 30, 2013, 07:07)danielbennett2020 Wrote:  I was camping on Red Squirrel Road (north of North Bay, Ontario) a few weeks ago. These 4 guys would roll by once or twice a day and I could hear them coming. Caught them from a good distance with my new 100 to 400 mm Zoom on a Canon T5i, shot at the 400 end. Can see the foreshortening perspective.
Oops! Had a problem. Been told the file maximum size is to be 1024 kb. How do I reduce a full size photo to the required posting size?
Either rename a copy of the file and save it, compressing the jpeg down to less than 1 MB, or resize a copy of the image in PS to something like 1000 x 800 pixels. Then save with new name. That should result in a small enough file to post. I save my images to be posted to a folder called shuttertalk. Ensures I don’t alter my original image and reminds me what I’ve posted too.

(Oct 30, 2013, 08:03)Dean Wrote:  [quote='danielbennett2020' pid='90549' dateline='1383138462']
I was camping on Red Squirrel Road (north of North Bay, Ontario) a few weeks ago. These 4 guys would roll by once or twice a day and I could hear them coming. Caught them from a good distance with my new 100 to 400 mm Zoom on a Canon T5i, shot at the 400 end. Can see the foreshortening perspective.
Either rename a copy of the file and save it, compressing the jpeg down to less than 1 MB, or resize a copy of the image in PS to something like 1000 x 800 pixels. Then save with new name. That should result in a small enough file to post. I save my images to be posted to a folder called shuttertalk. Ensures I don’t alter my original image and reminds me what I’ve posted too.

Thanks for the help. I resized and I've posted as a reply to this post so we'll see if that works.

Attached Files Image(s)

(Oct 16, 2013, 07:11)achesley Wrote:  Just gotta stop to help a turtle out.
Camera was my old Minolta Dimage Z3 which met with an unhappy ending being dropped at about 65 mph. Photo was at F8 Shutter 250 ISO 50 Pattern was Landscape. Actually camera was in the auto mode and Landscape.

I realize this isn't "photographically relevant", but I would like to know what kind of motorcycle is in your photo. Thanks,

Tom G

Had to pull over and take this one on a foggy drive north to Stayner, Ontario.

Attached Files Image(s)

When you turn off the main road, always give way to the trees:

(Nov 5, 2013, 05:23)MrB Wrote:  When you turn off the main road, always give way to the trees:

Nice capture. The eye is drawn to the sign which has great photographic weight in the picIture. I suggest cropping the pole on the left and see how it looks, then consider cropping on the right to keep the sign in a place that you like it.

Thank you, Daniel. In terms of creating a better photographic image, I think your suggestions are exactly right. It was posted as is, just for its comedy value, the lamp post left included just to give it the context of being a real, though ridiculous, street scene!
Smile
Cheers.
Philip

P.S. I think yours is good too!