Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Practicing Digital Photography: Trees, Trees, & More Trees (Thread Two)

Here is your opportunity to post some of the photos you have taken of trees. They can be from any season, or time of the year. Post some general information such as the type of camera you used, settings used, as well as info about the setting if you can for the other members.

Feel free to add to the thread as you like and have fun practicing your digital photography skills!

View Thread One on Trees, Trees, & More Trees

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

I like oaks because of their strength and endurance. These sister oaks have been on a familiar footpath for years, then one clear winter day I got low and between them. I'm not sure how, but the shot conveys the power I feel about oak.

Attached Files Image(s)

OK!! Ed.

More trees in the highlands. This time around the Drumnadrochit area.

Techie Stuff. Much as before.

Attached Files Image(s)

(Jan 13, 2014, 07:38)WDHewson Wrote:  I like oaks because of their strength and endurance. These sister oaks have been on a familiar footpath for years, then one clear winter day I got low and between them. I'm not sure how, but the shot conveys the power I feel about oak.

Hey W.D., I agree with you about Oaks. A very nice shot!.

Taken on a friend's estate, he was a real tree character, and a gentleman, now deceased. Ed. Used an 3.1m Olympus compact.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

It's skeletal self, dendritic, against a blue sky with more blue light scattered from below off the powder snow.

Attached Files Image(s)

Taken at Eastnor Castle near Ledbury Herefordshire.

Techie Stuff.
Nikon D300, F/11, 1/15th Sec, ISO200, 18mm, Aperture Priority, White Balance Auto.

[quote='Phil J' pid='92882' dateline='1390434298']
Taken at Eastnor Castle near Ledbury Herefordshire.

Techie Stuff.
Nikon D300, F/11, 1/15th Sec, ISO200, 18mm, Aperture Priority, White Balance Auto.

Tilting the camera upward about 25 degrees might have provider another interesting aspect.

Tom,

Can't do 25 degrees but here's one at 90 degrees.

Regards.

Phil.

(Jan 23, 2014, 11:14)Phil J Wrote:  Tom,

Can't do 25 degrees but here's one at 90 degrees.

Regards.

Phil.

I like both, but must admit your first is best.

This was taken with my oldie but goodie camera, a Kodak Easyshare C713. (I think it's a cherry blossom tree-whatever it is, it drives my spring allergies crazy!) Sure is a pretty tree though. Pam

Too close for my taste. I suggest more background or make it Macro - or something ???

(Jan 27, 2014, 20:05)Tom G Wrote:  Too close for my taste. I suggest more background or make it Macro - or something ???

Tom G, I think I'll try macro. It happened to be the only picture on my computer related to trees at the time I posted and it was a very old picture at that. I've got hundreds of pics still not transferred to my computer, but I recently added a few that better qualify for this category. Both taken with a Nikon P510.

[Image: 12195454653_db22093d81_c.jpg]

Sony HX1, f/4, ISO-125

(Jan 28, 2014, 15:59)manspam Wrote:  
(Jan 27, 2014, 20:05)Tom G Wrote:  Too close for my taste. I suggest more background or make it Macro - or something ???

Tom G, I think I'll try macro. It happened to be the only picture on my computer related to trees at the time I posted and it was a very old picture at that. I've got hundreds of pics still not transferred to my computer, but I recently added a few that better qualify for this category. Both taken with a Nikon P510.

Both very nice shots; the color in the first one is outstanding and the stark silhouette of the second against the sky is also very good. Perhaps the cars in the first shot should be cropped out. They seem to detract.

Now,those are both quite beautiful. Good composition and technically spot on.

Phil.

(Jan 28, 2014, 16:08)Korry Wrote:  [Image: 12195454653_db22093d81_c.jpg]

Sony HX1, f/4, ISO-125

Korry,

There is something about this photo of yours which I find disturbing and I can't put my finger on what it is. The picture is technically competent, the colours good and composition complies with all the rules. Yet, there is something which I find disturbing.

Sorry, it is probably just me.

Phil.

(Jan 28, 2014, 16:51)Tom G Wrote:  
(Jan 28, 2014, 15:59)manspam Wrote:  [quote='Tom G' pid='93045' dateline='1390874713']
Too close for my taste. I suggest more background or make it Macro - or something ???

Both very nice shots; the color in the first one is outstanding and the stark silhouette of the second against the sky is also very good. Perhaps the cars in the first shot should be cropped out. They seem to detract.

Thank you Tom. I actually cropped out a parking sign on the left side of the picture and debated about the cars. This is a beautiful park, and a great place to walk my dog. Here's a couple for you without signs, cars, or detractions.

(Jan 28, 2014, 17:02)Phil J Wrote:  

Now,those are both quite beautiful. Good composition and technically spot on.

Phil.

Thank you kindly Phil. I just noticed your photos of the trees in the highlands and the path near the castle. Great shots, that path draws me in and makes me feel like I'd be enveloped by nature and the trees in the highlands is quite a sight. Thanks for sharing your corner of the world with us.

(Jan 29, 2014, 19:04)manspam Wrote:  
(Jan 28, 2014, 16:51)Tom G Wrote:  [quote='manspam' pid='93077' dateline='1390946348']
[quote='Tom G' pid='93045' dateline='1390874713']

Thank you Tom. I actually cropped out a parking sign on the left side of the picture and debated about the cars. This is a beautiful park, and a great place to walk my dog. Here's a couple for you without signs, cars, or detractions.

Hey Manspam, These are quite excellent. The contrast of colors and the shadows are superb. Don't know what else to say, but these are worthy of framing.

A Rainy Autumn Day

The rain had stopped but it was still too wet to sit down. This photo was shot near the River Colne at London Colney, Hertfordshire, back in November (2013):

Pentax K-5II, 40mm prime lens, f/8, 1/15s, ISO 3200, tweaked in Paintshop Pro X4.

Philip

Philip,

Composition - Spot on, Exposure - Spot on, Colour rendition - Spot on. In fact, nothing wrong with it, it's a great photograph. It looks a bit slippery under foot, what's around the bend at the far end of the picture I ask myself? In my humble opinion, this photograph is a potential winner.

Regards.

Phil.

Thank you, Phil. To answer your question - the path follows the river and, in about 100m, reaches the bridge carrying London Colney's main street over the river. Here is a shot of the bridge in the rain during the first week of January (2014) -

The path there is under the water which, in normal conditions, flows only through the big central arch. People can usually follow the path along the river bank and through the smaller arches on the right. The two big trees are normally on the nearside river bank.

[ Pentax K-5Ii with 18-135 zoom lens (both weather-sealed) at 21mm, f/5.6, 1/40s, ISO 3200; Paintshop Pro X4 ]

Philip

Birch Bark

A photo of naturally peeling birch bark, recorded in the gardens at Cliveden, Buckinghamshire, on 26/02/2014:

Pentax K-5 II with 35mm prime lens, f/4, 1/1000s, ISO 160, processed in PaintShop Pro X4.

Philip