Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Practicing Digital Photography: Wild & Tame Animals

Backyard squirrel.

Nikon D7100, f/5.6 1/1000 ISO100 400mm focal length (600mm 35mm equivalent).

House Wren
Fought off a House Sparrow for the right to live here.

Attached Files Image(s)

OK folks, it's been a while since I posted anything and I hope that these will in some small way make up for my absence.

Some while ago I posted some pictures of our new puppy 'Buddy', whilst he's still a puppy he is now coming up for a whole year old and he's increased in confidence and inquisitiveness in leaps and bounds.

I could do with some advice from other dog owners though; He will not walk on a lead, put his lead on and he sits down and refuses to budge. We've tried all sorts of things to get him to 'go walkies', all to no avail, so if anyone has any advice on how to get him to 'go walkies', we'd be most grateful. Thanks.

Here's Buddy.

Thanks for viewing Buddy's progress. Big Grin

Time flies Phil, the last two do it for me, love to see more. Ed.

To each his own!

Baby wild rabbit on our drive.

I would make this upright, if not, then clone out the "Tar" at top right, very eye catching. Worthwhile. Ed.

To each his own!

(Sep 2, 2014, 03:41)EdMak Wrote:  I would make this upright, if not, then clone out the "Tar" at top right, very eye catching. Worthwhile. Ed.

Good picture of the Rabbit though Ed. As you say "Very eye catching", to the extent that it 'could' be cut out and pasted onto a different background and then used in a publication such as a calendar.

Regards.

Phil.

Good thinking Phil, it would be easy to lift this shot out, and, put anywhere. Ed.

To each his own!

Lovely photo but yes maybe some cropping is necessary

Whoops, I put my lion image in the wrong place...here it is again with one or two of his friends....the image of the two monkeys at least needs rescuing if anyone knows how...that would be appreciated... Regards Jeff

Attached Files Image(s)

A quick P/S exercise. ?? Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

Breakfast

With photography it sometimes happens that you are in the right place at the right time, and have to grab what you can. When I woke up very early one morning last May, I went into the kitchen to brew a cup of tea. I am not a bird watcher or bird photographer, but what I saw happening on the lawn outside, through the gloom before sunrise, caused me to grab my camera from the lounge and attach a long zoom. Luck was with me - when I returned to the kitchen, the bird was still there. So, standing well back from the window, I shot a single frame every few seconds for about a minute, before it flew off.

These are nowhere near the best photos of this bird (I think it's a sparrowhawk) that you can find on the Web, but I doubt that I will ever see this happen again. So I post them not only for those interested in birds, but also as a tribute to the technology, both hardware and software, that has enabled me to achieve an acceptable (for me) record of the event. Consider: the light was very poor - cloudy sky before sunrise; the shots were taken standing well away from the kitchen window and through the double-glazing; the ISO was set at 3200; the DSLR + zoom (at 300mm) were hand-held, with image stabilisation on; the aperture was at its widest of f/5.8; the shutter speed was 1/50s or 1/40s.

[ Pentax K-5 II DSLR; Pentax 55-300mm Zoom; images processed in PaintShop Pro X6 and cropped to about 60% of their original 16 MP, then down-sized to 900x600 for this forum. ]

Cheers.
Philip

Fantastic Philip, wish I had seen that!

Here's my effort today: herons - I was so fortunate today to get a long series on herons fighting, fishing, flying and in one case emitting a spume. Here's a couple. The fighting ones are a long way away and needed a massive crop so not as crisp as you would like.

Cheers. Jeff

Attached Files Image(s)

I took this sequence whilst on holiday in Cyprus. We were having a family lunch at a restaurant so I had my 17-40mm wide angle zoom on my camera when this couple of feral cats decided have a territorial dispute. I couldn't get close enough with this lens so I have had to do some considerable cropping but I was pleased with what I captured at the time. (Both cats seemed to survive the encounter though the ginger one's pride was punctured).

Regards
John

Equipment was Canon 5d with 17-40mm F4L USM at 40mm ISO 100 at F4 1/3200

Interesting series to show the vicious aggression of both herons and cats - good captures, Jeff and John.

Cheers.
Philip

(Mar 25, 2015, 04:48)Gandalf1953 Wrote:  I took this sequence whilst on holiday in Cyprus. We were having a family lunch at a restaurant so I had my 17-40mm wide angle zoom on my camera when this couple of feral cats decided have a territorial dispute. I couldn't get close enough with this lens so I have had to do some considerable cropping but I was pleased with what I captured at the time. (Both cats seemed to survive the encounter though the ginger one's pride was punctured).

Regards
John

Equipment was Canon 5d with 17-40mm F4L USM at 40mm ISO 100 at F4 1/3200

"What a wonderful sequence.
Beautiful colours.

Diane"

Thank you for your kind words Diane