Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Practicing Digital Photography: Wild & Tame Animals

(Dec 21, 2013, 15:04)Phil J Wrote:  What do you think of this one?

Again, lovely graded sharpness giving depth to the image, but the crop is just too tight for me - it would have been great to see all the flowing hair at the top and right.

Philip

Thank you for the compliment Philip. In respect of the crop issue, would this one be more to your taste?

It was taken at the same time, virtually at the same place, maybe six or seven feet difference in positioning. This is a learning curve, in that it is obvious that different people exhibit different tastes. I know that is stating the obvious but, it is a question of choosing that which one thinks will prove most popular when posting.

Techie Stuff.
Nikon D300, F/5.3 250sec, 120mm, Aperture Priority Bias +0.3, M/Mode - Pattern.

(Dec 23, 2013, 13:33)Phil J Wrote:  Thank you for the compliment Philip. In respect of the crop issue, would this one be more to your taste?

It was taken at the same time, virtually at the same place, maybe six or seven feet difference in positioning. This is a learning curve, in that it is obvious that different people exhibit different tastes. I know that is stating the obvious but, it is a question of choosing that which one thinks will prove most popular when posting.

Hello again, Phil.

You can see that I have highlighted two comments in your post.

The first is the really important one for me. Every image, even those I don't like, and every comment about an image, positive or negative, are contributions to the learning process, provided that I am always trying to understand what it is that makes one image a better photograph than another.

The second is not as important - it can contribute to the feel-good factor, but popularity is not necessarily an indicator of quality. It is probably better to choose to post images that you feel positive about, and hope that the responses really are helpful in assessing and/or advancing progress.

In the case of your latest image, the two old friends are posing for you perfectly. But, as they say, three's a crowd, and that third one behind is a bit of a problem. But ignoring that problem for now, what do you think about this tighter composition that still shows the ponies in their environment? -

Philip

Hi Philip,

Maybe I haven't been sufficiently informative about 'my own selection criteria' in relation to that which I post.

Firstly, I sit down and examine and experiment on those images which I feel have most potential, and secondly I then arrange the resultant images in 'what is for me' an order of merit.

What I meant when I said 'will prove most popular' was that in a commercial environment 'would SELL most copies' or if you prefer, 'generate most profit'. That is because I believe the final arbiter of that which is or isn't 'good or popular' will be decided by the market, not by any other criteria, but by the market. Why? That's because if someone or a group of consumers in a market segment are, in the final analysis, prepared to lay out their own hard earned cash, 'or that of their company' in order to purchase something,' including photographs', then that is the ultimate arbiter of what is or isn't good or popular.

No doubt there will be many who disagree with me on this, and they have every right to do so, but, that is the way in which I personally come to my decisions on what to post. All comments are welcome, either positive or not, as this is an indicator as to the way in which any given segment of the market is going.

I hope you enjoyed a very merry Christmas and that the New Year will be happy, healthy and prosperous for for you.

Best Regards.

Phil.

Phil,

Thank you for your good wishes, and I echo those in wishing you all the best for the future.

There is probably little I can write in response to the rest of your post that would influence you, as the approach you describe is so alien to my world, and I find it rather depressing. However, it might make sense to some people that my interest is in each photograph for its own sake, not in whether it will be popular or saleable.

In all areas of artistic endeavour, doubtless there will be some statistical overlap between the good and the popular, and between the good and the saleable. But I'm certain that there are people, including myself, who hold the opinion that there is also much work that falls outside those areas of overlap - excellent works that do not make it in the marketplace, and mediocre works that have popular appeal.

For me, photography is an interesting pastime that began after retirement a couple of years ago. It is a voyage of discovery into the aesthetic and the technical - a quest to learn what it is that makes images astounding for me, and to learn how to make stunning images. Those aspects are different in their detail for every image and, in my opinion, that's what makes photography so fascinating and challenging.

As an example of being interested in the image for its own sake, I asked for a comment on my crop of your photo of the two ponies. In my opinion, the bright sky in the original post distracts the viewer from the subject. The original might sell to pony lovers and others simply for its cute "Aw!" factor, but I think the cropped image is a better photograph, and it would be even better without the other pony behind.

Philip

Hi Philip,

Having taken your example 'on board' I've done the following.

1/ Cropped to approximately the same size as that which you did.
2/ Cloned out the third pony.
3/ Adjusted the levels & contrast.
4/ Made adjustment to the 'Vibrancy', and.
5/ Added a little sharpening.

So here is the result of my efforts. Do you think it an improvement?
Please let me know.

Just seen this, bit behind, my take. Fence/posts is the killer, big cloning job. Crop is now is too tight. Better with original and a new sky, and a bit more at the bottom, do-able. ??????? Cheers. Ed.

(Dec 28, 2013, 08:54)EdMak Wrote:  Just seen this, bit behind, my take. Fence/posts is the killer, big cloning job. Crop is now is too tight. Better with original and a new sky, and a bit more at the bottom, do-able. ??????? Cheers. Ed.

Hi Ed,

Thanks for your input. Short answer is yes it's do-able given the time to do so, although the bottom hasn't been cropped, so any more would need to be invented. Like the thought of a new sky. As you say the fence and posts would present a problem, but, also do-able given time. It might be more efficient to go back and re-shoot next year.

In the meantime, here is another for your collective consideration.

Cheers.

Phil.

Techie stuff.

Nikon D300, F/7.1, 160th/sec, ISO200, 40mm, M/Mode Pattern, Bias + 0.3 Aperture Priority.

How about one taken closer to home? Taken of a mother and foal in a field in Upton-St-Leonards, Gloucestershire.

Techie Stuff.
F/5.6, 200th/sec, ISO200, Bias +1.3, 18mm, Ex/Mode Pattern, Aperture Priority.

(Dec 28, 2013, 07:35)Phil J Wrote:  Hi Philip,

Having taken your example 'on board' I've done the following.

1/ Cropped to approximately the same size as that which you did.
2/ Cloned out the third pony.
3/ Adjusted the levels & contrast.
4/ Made adjustment to the 'Vibrancy', and.
5/ Added a little sharpening.

So here is the result of my efforts. Do you think it an improvement?
Please let me know.

Sorry for the delay, Phil - I've been out in the pleasant weather here all afternoon, then to Sainsbury's this evening.

I think your new version of the two ponies is a really nice image - not too tight at all for a full length portrait of the friendly pair, and showing enough of their surroundings. The sky was an unnecessary distraction and the image is much better without it. I also think that the fence matters not a jot - one expects to see animals like these in a fenced paddock, so it is a valid part of their environment. You have done a good job with the processing, particularly in cloning out the third pony, to make the image so much stronger (you might perhaps just tidy up a bit more around the pony's back end). I suspect that their owners would be very pleased with the resulting photo.

To be honest, I'm not as enthusiastic about the next two. The grey horse is a bit too head on to be attractive and the background unfortunately slices the image in two. The brown & white one is at a better angle, but the wide-angle lens does its shape no favours, and the gate bar goes straight across its head. Sorry!

Philip

Hey Philip,

Nothing to be sorry about, you just stated some facts as you saw them!! Smile

Phil.

How about this little chap? Neither particularly wild, nor tame, he (I assume it's a he) and his family go wild for the Cob Nuts from the tree in my back garden.

Techie Stuff.
Nikon D300, F/5.6, 1/30th/sec, ISO200, Ex/Bias +0.3, M/Mode Pattern, 250mm, Manual Exposure. Taken through closed double glazed patio doors.

has a 3D look Phil, like this. Ed.

(Dec 28, 2013, 16:14)Phil J Wrote:  How about this little chap? Neither particularly wild, nor tame, he (I assume it's a he) and his family go wild for the Cob Nuts from the tree in my back garden.

That's a lovely shot of the squirrel, Phil, and it is a well composed image.

However, the colours in your other posts look much more natural than they do here - the animal's fur has a magenta cast, and the greens are just too bright and vivid to be real for me. Just my opinions, of course, but this is the way I see those things -

Philip

A friend's very tame labrador, Molly.

Scratch My Back PLEASE!

Ft. Worth Zoo 2013

[Image: 9037634888_17a547bd44_b.jpg]

(Dec 30, 2013, 01:05)MrB Wrote:  
(Dec 28, 2013, 16:14)Phil J Wrote:  How about this little chap? Neither particularly wild, nor tame, he (I assume it's a he) and his family go wild for the Cob Nuts from the tree in my back garden.

That's a lovely shot of the squirrel, Phil, and it is a well composed image.

However, the colours in your other posts look much more natural than they do here - the animal's fur has a magenta cast, and the greens are just too bright and vivid to be real for me. Just my opinions, of course, but this is the way I see those things -

Philip
Nicely done job there Philip. Retrospectively I might have overcooked it a bit. Smile

Phil.

(Dec 30, 2013, 13:21)coachline56 Wrote:  A friend's very tame labrador, Molly.

Coachline,

Well done, an absolutely cracking shot of what is obviously a lovely natured dog.

Regards.

Phil.

Coachline,
Good as it is, personally I would adjust Shadow/Highlights, there is more detail in there, and, if possible, clone out the rubber tread, does make a difference. Ed.

(Dec 31, 2013, 05:13)Phil J Wrote:  
(Dec 30, 2013, 13:21)coachline56 Wrote:  A friend's very tame labrador, Molly.

Coachline,

Well done, an absolutely cracking shot of what is obviously a lovely natured dog.

Regards.

Phil.

Thanks Phil,

It looks good at A3 too and Molly's owner received it, in a frame, as a christmas present from her brother.

Regards

Coachline.

(Dec 31, 2013, 08:27)EdMak Wrote:  Coachline,
Good as it is, personally I would adjust Shadow/Highlights, there is more detail in there, and, if possible, clone out the rubber tread, does make a difference. Ed.

Hi Ed,

I'm not a great fan of tinkering with photos but I agree that your suggestions would enhance it.

Regards

Coachline.

I have a Canon Rebel T3. I was playing with my new fisheye lens I got for Christmas. This my pet hen. I thought it was cool the way her comb seems to be coming through the lens.
Suzanne

Suzanne,

That's one heck of a lens!! I'm so glad you told us the subject was your pet hen, from the angle of view I'd have never of guessed it. Oh, welcome to the forums.

Regards.

Phil.

Friendly, very. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

Ed,

Yet another example of photographic excellence from you. Proof positive that 'there is no substitute for experience'. Smile

Regards.

Phil.