Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Save as....

Sometimes I have to save documents I will use again and again as my textures, some of them are made by several layers I want to manipulate depending on the image. So I save them as a new image in tif format to keep the layers and also because I think they are less big than .psd files.

Everytime I save a document in tif format I get this box and I don't know what is the best to tick...

Thanks so much for your help... Smile

[Image: saveas.jpg]

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

I was hoping that someone else would know the answer to this, because I always just leave it at the default settings. :/

I do prefer saving layered tiff files to .psd, as photoshop documents are proprietary and aren't an open and documented standard. There's a better likelihood of layered tiff files being readable and compatible in the future.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

If I use tiff files I do not compress them or use lzw as the compression is loss-less.

Quote:LZW

You can compress and decompress any type of TIFF image of any bit depth using LZW, a lossless method. The application can store the compressed image in a TIFF 5.0 file or keep it in memory. An average 2:1 compression ratio is achieved with LZW compression on typical photographic images.

Thanks a lot Craig for your information.

The other day working with different tif files in the same image PS said that this image had different depth. I just could say ..."I really don't mind.. go on"... I didn't know what depth was.

Paul Cezanne

oops,
well, I don't know about compression, I usually leave tiff images uncompressed (NONE),
but for the layer compression and pixel order I have no clue and leave it at the default settings.
But the depth should just refer to your bit depth, could it be that you had a 16bit tiff between other 8bit pics?

cheers, Uli

I don't know why I thought I had answer this post...

Uli, you are right. Some of my textures might be 16bit tiff and that is why PS complains about different depth. I will check that.

Thanks Smile

Paul Cezanne