Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Product shots

Alan, (the guitar maker), has given me the job of doing the product shots for his 1960's clone FX range.
There are 5 stomp boxes to shoot, and I am posting the first trial shot for your collective opinions please.

[img]http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/images/upload/I'm about to UPLOAD these.jpg[/img]

Cave canem

awesome! you'd be the perfect person for product shots methinks. i was going to suggest (depending on the intended effect) a warmer colour for the background since the product itself is a bit plain in terms on colour.

Thanks ST.

Bearing in mind that a headline will read "Sonic Ranger", do you think it matters that the name is not totally visible on the item?

Regarding the bg, hang on, I'll look at modifying it as a test.........

Cave canem

Warmer.

[Image: ImageWARM.jpg]

Cave canem

Or how about this?

[Image: ImageSPACE.jpg]

Cave canem

Warmer best accentuates the white lettering, IMHO.

Why not turn the knob to 8 so that the letters are fully visible? A very slightly higher shooting angle would also help.

Good stuff.

Red is definitely better, especially because it complements the design on the plate. Yeah, good idea slej... turn the knob so we can see the words. Smile

Rufus Wrote:Or how about this?

http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/images...eSPACE.jpg

I prefer this background and I also like the way the light comes in from the top left corner.

However, I'm wondering if you might be better turning the gizmo around and trying a few shots from different angles. The writing on the left or right with that light coming softly to the corner of the gizmo might look good, could be more legible that way too?

Dunno - maybe worth experimeting?

Polly

I'm also wondering what the words under Sonic Ranger says Big Grin

Rufus .... I've been looking at this more closely with someone else and he suggests you tilt the gizmo up slightly as there's no need to show that empty area at the bottom, which is merely the part that would be unseen, if it was standing on a shelf, floor or wherever. Aim to show more of the 'working area' of the thing and less of the areas that do nothing. Also -get a clearer view of the writing as that's more likely to be want people want to see.

Polly

Folks!

Your input is great, thank you!

Tomorrow, (Monday), I shall re-shoot this first group to show the entire lettering and reduce the wasted areas.

Stay tuned, I'll need your input again then, please. Smile

Cave canem

If your friend makes a compressor/sustainer I'd be happy to test it out and write a constructive and entirely positive review in exchange...

Big Grin

I'm afraid that he's just had 5 reviews by UK guitar magazines! All very favourable too. He's a very talented man. ( :o Grrr!!! Jealousy)

Cave canem

Here is Mondays effort.

Opinions please?

[Image: bg%20SR.jpg]

Cave canem

That's a lot better imho ... but I think you need to rotate the image so that the product is displayed upright.

it's also better as it fills the frame more so there's less to distract from the actual product.

Pols

Ah.... Thanks Pol Smile

I'm glad you like it, especially since I photographed all 5 models like this!!!

Cave canem

Here are all 5 layered together:

[Image: bg%20all%205-1.jpg]

Cave canem

That's excellent Rufus... The 'anti-gravity' feature must be a big selling point!!! Wink

<><
Camera: Panasonic Lumix FZ10
Image Management/Editing:ArcSoft PhotoBase4
Advanced Image Editing: Adobe PhotoShop 7

I think lighting is the biggest issue here. I noticed that there are shadows that should be eliminated. Detail is important in a product shot. The background you choose after will likely be fine with which ever you choose.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Cailean Wrote:That's excellent Rufus... The 'anti-gravity' feature must be a big selling point!!! Wink

Absolutely! I have an anti-grav device on E-bay for £999,999 (plus postage). Big Grin

Cave canem

Petographer Wrote:I think lighting is the biggest issue here. I noticed that there are shadows that should be eliminated. Detail is important in a product shot. The background you choose after will likely be fine with which ever you choose.

Yes, it's certainly not perfect. Ho hum.

Incidentally, if you wonder why the fifth box is at a different angle, it's 'cos it's unfinished and I'm hiding the cables!!

Cave canem

So... off topic, but how do they actually sound? Smile

Hello ST.

I shall ask Alan for the reviews, and post them, (if that's ok).
He does ship to AU btw! Smile

Cave canem

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post