Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

RAW -> ?

Just wondering, what workflow do people use when using RAW? The utility that came with my camera converts RAW to TIFF (rather large ones at that... may be uncompressed). After you edit and play around with the photos in photoshop, do you save it back to TIFF format, or to JPEG?

Capture One.

Huge time saver for me. Cuts out 80% of Photoshop work, maybe more.

http://www.phaseone.com/content/c1softwa.../c135.aspx

which download would you recommend as a trial?

C1 Pro?

C1 Se?

or

C1Db?

Doesn't describe what the differences are. Am very new to Raw processing. Thanks Slej.

Jerry

Nos an modica tantum nostri somnium
"We are limited only by our imagination"

Photoshop Camera RAW. I use it as just the first step in my processing. Capture 1 may be more full featured - dunno haven't used it. I tend to do my real retouching work in Photoshop do the "official" PS plugin fits my workflow well. It is also free - always a plus in my book - and for the things I tend to do with it - white balance correction and color noise reduction - it does just fine.

Sorry, a little bit unfamiliar with this area - you actually save it back to RAW after editing etc?

Nope - I save it as TIFF after editing - I resave as jpeg to post to the net or email.

Capture One but use the one in PS CS if I'm out and about on the notebook as it isn't overly poweful and saves a bit of time rather than running both packages.

I like to keep TIF's for a while but they don't normally stay that was as it is too big a file format to keep all my work that way. An average wedding would fill up 9gig keeping it that way.

Jerry, I have SE, and can't really see a reason to upgrade to Pro. However, SE has some definite "consumer-level" enhancements over LE, such as arbitrary rotation and support for "pro" level cameras.

For an image that doesn't need PS work, I output from C1 to JPEG. This is much more common now that I've got good lenses, as the images are much sharper to begin with.

If an image needs PS for whatever reason (blending exposures, additional sharpening, artistic endeavors,) then I will likely output from C1 to TIFF, do the PS work, save as JPEG and delete the TIFF.

cool, thanks guys. outputting to jpeg and then deleting the tiff makes sense as you don't want these hundreds of megs of files lying around taking up space.

and you can always convert the raw file again, right? but what if you want to edit it again down the track?

and what about layer information and all that -- do people keep the psd / psp files?

Thats exactly the kind of explanation I was looking for Slej. Thanks! Am off to download the trial version.

Nos an modica tantum nostri somnium
"We are limited only by our imagination"

shuttertalk Wrote:outputting to jpeg and then deleting the tiff makes sense as you don't want these hundreds of megs of files lying around taking up space.

Storage is cheap, but why waste space? Unless you want to edit the file again.

shuttertalk Wrote:and you can always convert the raw file again, right?

Right.

shuttertalk Wrote:but what if you want to edit it again down the track?

Why would you want to do this? Didn't get it right the first time? Move on!

shuttertalk Wrote:and what about layer information and all that -- do people keep the psd / psp files?

Sometimes, if you think you'll want to edit the file again.

Tongue

lol, well put. thanks, Mitch. Smile

yeah .. im using C1 Rebel; .. but i think i should get higher ..cause the numbe rof batches are so limited ...

Or get a faster computer Peter Smile

hahah ... i wish i could .. actu;ally .. getting a laptop at the end of the year .. but dont know which sort would be good for photo stuffs ... for a good price ~_~

I keep everything, and delete on an exception basis. I actually tend to delete the jpegs at the end of the workflow because they are trivial to regenerate from a TIFF.

As Mitch says, storage is cheap - I "hope" that my time is worth more than that. The working files (TIFFs, PSDs, Jpegs) can be dumped to CD as my hard drives fill up - the time that it takes me to get it back from the CD is way less than my recreation time. Plus - a lot of times I cannot recreate what I did in Photoshop the first time - the creative proces swith me is very trial and error - with the UNDO command being my most frequently used.

As for "getting it right the first time" - that is not how it always works with me - your mileage may vary.