Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Rate suggestions?????

I have a large number of images shot during Hurricane Katrina and have been contacted by a business that wants to use several of them in print, web and trade material. Any idea on what to charge? They also want to hire me to spend a day (8 hrs) shooting their crews at work and provide them with those images. Again how much????

Canon D60, 28-135mm IS, 200 f2.8L, Metz 45CL-4

Wow cool... congrats on the opportunities... no idea how much to charge, but congrats anyway! Big Grin

The photographic industry is an interesting one for pricing and it varies wildly with pricing ranging from "what you think your client will pay" to some of the standards such as these http://photographersindex.com/stockprice.htm or many other industry rates.

As an example for corporate work I have a day rate of $450 with 1/2 day of $250 which normally comes with a single usage contract meaning they can't use the images repeatedly. If they want a non-exclusive usage the rate can easily double. Plus it includes travel rates plus a charge for editing and burning their selected images.

On the other side I tend to give away a lot of work cheaper if I think it will benefit me from word of mouth or further work.

I've heard people say go big or go home. I guess you really have to be able to back up the work you do and are making a steady income from your images to be able to do that. As J said, I give people good deals if I think it will have them return or get some word of mouth. Selling to a media company like what you describe has me thinking that you shouldn't go too low. If they don't like what you are asking you can simply ask "what was it you were hoping to pay?" Then go from there.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Big Grin WOW Big Grin
I checked around locally and quoted an hourly rate of $125.00 or $800.00 per day and they booked me for three days!!!!!!!!

Congrats dude!!! Big Grin

I wish someone would pay me $800 a day to take photos! Big Grin

Wish this would happen more often, but I'll take what comes!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post