Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Remote switch & Live view help

Hi everyone
I was out tonight trying to capture some deer in a field. I had my canon 300mm lens with Kenko 1.4x teleplus attached with a tripod. I had my remote switch plugged in and took a couple of test shots of the field before the deer arrived. Everything was fine. Then disaster - when the deer arrived I pressed the remote control and the camera made a clicking sound like it was taking the picture. I looked after a few shots and had no images of the deer on my memory card. Couldn't find anything helpful in my camera manual. What am I doing wrong? Please help - I know its probably something simple but I can't fathom it out.

With regards
Jane

(May 23, 2015, 14:02)snaphappy Wrote:  Hi everyone
I was out tonight trying to capture some deer in a field. I had my canon 300mm lens with Kenko 1.4x teleplus attached with a tripod. I had my remote switch plugged in and took a couple of test shots of the field before the deer arrived. Everything was fine. Then disaster - when the deer arrived I pressed the remote control and the camera made a clicking sound like it was taking the picture. I looked after a few shots and had no images of the deer on my memory card. Couldn't find anything helpful in my camera manual. What am I doing wrong? Please help - I know its probably something simple but I can't fathom it out.

With regards
Jane

Forgot to add that I was using Live view at the time!

Did you have any images at all? Ed.

To each his own!

(May 23, 2015, 14:42)EdMak Wrote:  Did you have any images at all? Ed.

Yes I did Ed, but not of the deer. Only the field shots I took when I set the camera up. It was only a few minutes before the deer came so didn't need to change the settings.

Jane

Are you of the opinion you had less pics on the card than you took. Ed.

To each his own!

Did you get nothing? A Blank Black Image? Does it take something now?

(May 23, 2015, 15:44)EdMak Wrote:  Are you of the opinion you had less pics on the card than you took. Ed.

Yes, the camera sounded and reacted like it had taken the photos, but nothing was on the sd card, only the testing ones. I can't make it out. Jane

(May 23, 2015, 16:01)EnglishBob Wrote:  Did you get nothing? A Blank Black Image? Does it take something now?

Hi Craig, I didn't get anything at all with the deer. The card did not register anything at all, just the testing shots I had done. Tried it indoors when I got home and it worked fine. I have used the remote shutter outdoors at night on live view and haven't had any problems. What am I doing wrong?

With kind regards
Jane

That is odd, you could hear the shutter going but nothing recorded. I've never shot using live view so not able to help there, always prefer to see through the viewfinder.

You didn't change anything between the test shots and the deer arriving? added/reseated the cable release? reseated or changed memory cards? Just throwing out random thoughts. Did you use liveview for the test shots and the actual shots of the deer?

I was working up to, perhaps you were on 2, or 10 second delay, easy to do so on my Sony. Ed.

To each his own!

(May 24, 2015, 03:04)EdMak Wrote:  I was working up to, perhaps you were on 2, or 10 second delay, easy to do so on my Sony. Ed.

No Ed, it was on normal one shot. I have tried it at home today and cannot get it to work on live view. No problem with it when it it not live view.

Thank you for your replies Ed.

Regards Jane

(May 23, 2015, 20:31)EnglishBob Wrote:  That is odd, you could hear the shutter going but nothing recorded. I've never shot using live view so not able to help there, always prefer to see through the viewfinder.

You didn't change anything between the test shots and the deer arriving? added/reseated the cable release? reseated or changed memory cards? Just throwing out random thoughts. Did you use liveview for the test shots and the actual shots of the deer?

I have been trying it all again today and still cannot get the remote to work in live view.

Thank you for your replies Craig

Regards Jane

Hello... If you look in your hand book... under the live view headings it will tell you what functions you have available. AF Live, AF Live face recognition and AF Quick Mode - Not sure if your body has all of these but see what you do have.... In AF Live mode and in AF Face recognition mode the AF is very very slow and you will need to compose the shot, half press the shutter and wait for the square in the centre to go green and hear a Beep... signifying AF lock...press the shutter all the way and then you can get an image recorded. In AF Quick mode you have to focus the AF point square not the live view square... press the shutter... the mirror will actuate, the view to Live will return, the square will go red signifying AF lock, now press the shutter button again and you will hear the mechanism operate and you will record and image. The Live View is really for movies and for low light focussing as in manual focussing at either 5 or 10x magnification on stars or other low light objects that the AF cannot work with as there is not enough light for the AF sensor in the bottom of the mirror box to work with... Bottom line is there is no way to use the remote to operate in live view that I am aware of- in quick mode it will operate the shutter mechanism... maybe that is what you heard, but as you are only pressing once no image will be made as you have only done the focussing and have yet to repress and get the image. There may be something in the shutter box that operates with live view that is not duplicated in the remote port.... Read you manual and work the camera step by step and see what your body does... but I think you will find it's not going to work on remote... Hope this has helped

Kind regards

Rolf

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Do the instructions make any reference to this? ED.

To each his own!

(May 24, 2015, 14:31)EdMak Wrote:  Do the instructions make any reference to this? ED.
Hi Ed,
The hand book will be quite explicit on what Live View WILL do and some of the error codes and issues that Canon say will affect it. They make no mention of using a remote release with live view. The remote port just mimics the shutter release so will not have the same electronic links to the Live View function that camera shutter button will have. For example... a simple remote will not actuate the "half press" that will get the AF working - it will just fire the shutter if the remote has the functionality of a half press it will enable the AF first and pressing on will actuate the shutter release and allow an image to be recorded, but that will be all it can do... it will not have the links to other parts of the overall body functionality that the shutter button will have... If there is no mention it can generally be taken that there is no functionality otherwise it would form part of the instructions for use... I can't get LV to work on my 1DS Mk 3 or the 1D Mk 4 or my 5D so I am fairly certain LV will not work as the shutter button does in LV. I can get a "shutter actuation" sound in Quick Mode but as I said in my last, that's only half the function... it needs another reset and press which the remote will not do or the electronics do not recognise the input from the remote... My remote is a Radio trigger the "Phottix Aion" and has a lot of functions that the remote can set but only input to the camera is the AF set and the release...

Kind regards

Rolf

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

(May 24, 2015, 14:31)Rolf Wrote:  Hello... If you look in your hand book... under the live view headings it will tell you what functions you have available. AF Live, AF Live face recognition and AF Quick Mode - Not sure if your body has all of these but see what you do have.... In AF Live mode and in AF Face recognition mode the AF is very very slow and you will need to compose the shot, half press the shutter and wait for the square in the centre to go green and hear a Beep... signifying AF lock...press the shutter all the way and then you can get an image recorded. In AF Quick mode you have to focus the AF point square not the live view square... press the shutter... the mirror will actuate, the view to Live will return, the square will go red signifying AF lock, now press the shutter button again and you will hear the mechanism operate and you will record and image. The Live View is really for movies and for low light focussing as in manual focussing at either 5 or 10x magnification on stars or other low light objects that the AF cannot work with as there is not enough light for the AF sensor in the bottom of the mirror box to work with... Bottom line is there is no way to use the remote to operate in live view that I am aware of- in quick mode it will operate the shutter mechanism... maybe that is what you heard, but as you are only pressing once no image will be made as you have only done the focussing and have yet to repress and get the image. There may be something in the shutter box that operates with live view that is not duplicated in the remote port.... Read you manual and work the camera step by step and see what your body does... but I think you will find it's not going to work on remote... Hope this has helped

Kind regards

Rolf

Many thanks Rolf. I have found another download booklet for my camera regarding Live View (which the main booklet did not have in such detail) and this confirms what you have said. I had not read this Live view booklet since getting my camera and had forgotten all about it. I shall attempt the deer another evening, I am sure they will be in the farmers field for quite a while.

Thank you for all the information, it is much appreciated.
With best wishes
Jane

(May 24, 2015, 15:43)snaphappy Wrote:  [quote='Rolf' pid='101678' dateline='1432499469']
Hi Jane

Glad you have a resolution Smile I have always maintained that the best photo course is to get to know your camera by getting to know the makers handbook... Big Grin

Kind regards

Rolf

Many thanks Rolf. I have found another download booklet for my camera regarding Live View (which the main booklet did not have in such detail) and this confirms what you have said. I had not read this Live view booklet since getting my camera and had forgotten all about it. I shall attempt the deer another evening, I am sure they will be in the farmers field for quite a while.

Thank you for all the information, it is much appreciated.
With best wishes
Jane

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Confucius says, "When all else fails, read the instructions." Happy ending. Ed.

To each his own!

Thanks Guys. I had used the remote shutter when doing night sky photos, so assumed I could do it in the early evening. Lesson learned, never assume anything!!

Regards Jane

A day you learn something, is not a day wasted. Ed.

To each his own!

Now reading the manual is just unsporting Rolf Big Grin

(May 25, 2015, 09:21)EnglishBob Wrote:  Now reading the manual is just unsporting Rolf Big Grin

Bit too IKEA ? Big Grin

Kind regards

Rolf

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post