Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Renting Lenses

Hey anyone heard about or used this service before?
http://www.rentglass.com/

You can rent lenses for 1, 2 or 3 weeks, and they send it out to you / get it returned via postal service (US only). Might be useful if you need a lens for a particular event, project or photo shoot... or even if you want to try before you buy.

I've hired some equipment before (flashgun) for a once off wedding shoot, and it does make sense especially if your budget doesn't allow for the investment at that particular time. That was from a small shop in the city; this one is a novel concept in that you can do everything online and they ship it to your door.

Now, I wonder if there is a similar service outside of the US?

They seem to be missing a couple of brands....

I've never rented a lens, but wish I had. (It didn't even occur to me that it would be possible for my format.) There's a shop downtown that rents them for very reasonable rates; it makes it very cost-effective to just rent a telephoto or ultra-wide lens for the few times they're needed. Knowing that this option is available has changed which lenses I plan on owning.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Sounds like a great idea. I wish it was available locally...

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

My local store rents lenses, in fact in thier display they have a canon 400 2.8L on display... with a big rent me sign.

What's your experience with renting then? Was the equipment in good condition? And what if you break/damage it (I assume that would be an accident...) do you/they have insurance? Or do you have to pay then?

uli

I wish there was something near here. I doubt these guys will ship to Canada. I would like to be able to rent a fast l series for the dog shows. The lighting is terrible in these barns.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

The lenses at the store near me are all mint... they offer and strongly recommend insurance on the rentals, and on the $8k Canon they insist on it. You also have to put down a security deposit.

I can not stress strongly enough the need for you to have a signature on your rental receipt that you signed your goods back in. The majority of hire places here make you sign to take gear out but not to take it back.

For the past year I have been involved in a civil case for a piece of gear that went missing after I had returned it. And not only have they tried to claim the cost of replacement but also loss of income on hiring it and all expenses. So a 2k piece of gear has become 7.5k.

BEWARE!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post