Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Reptiles and Amphibians

Hi folks

Do you have any photos of reptiles or amphibians to share? It seems there have not been any on this site for over 10 years, unless you count my Galapagos iguanas and so forth, which must be a travesty. Reptiles are so photogenic. But at the same time very hard to shoot I would say.

Hopefully you all have a few stacked away somewhere?

Here's my contribution to start the thread off: a grass snake spotted crossing the lake at the local reserve on 11th of this month. This shot could be entered for the most outrageous crop of the year award, but what a beauty! I hope you like it. I have a similar shot with the flicking tongue to view, but probably not so good overall. The snake swiftly changed direction when pursued briefly by a swan but was ignored by the group of lapwings it then approached.

D610+Nikon 80-400G.

Regards all and looking forward to some reptilian contributions!

Jeff

Attached Files Image(s)

Taken in the greenhouse at Kew Gardens.
A bit of a surprise!

2 crackers, so far. Ed.

To each his own!

Gorgeous. Stick it in the July competition!

(Jul 27, 2015, 07:12)Freeman Wrote:  Gorgeous. Stick it in the July competition!
Hi - if you mean my Kew lizard, thank you but, sadly, that was taken in June and wouldn't qualify. I'll see if I can find something else.

(Jul 27, 2015, 12:50)Derbygirl Wrote:  
(Jul 27, 2015, 07:12)Freeman Wrote:  Gorgeous. Stick it in the July competition!
Hi - if you mean my Kew lizard, thank you but, sadly, that was taken in June and wouldn't qualify. I'll see if I can find something else.

Yes, I did mean your lizard and at least I now have some kind of chance in the competition! Love it. Jeff

(Jul 27, 2015, 14:10)Freeman Wrote:  
(Jul 27, 2015, 12:50)Derbygirl Wrote:  

Yes, I did mean your lizard and at least I now have some kind of chance in the competition! Love it. Jeff

You're on! Smile

This is a close up of a frog in my garden.Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

I've been unable to get out and about for the past coup,e of months due to some back and hip issues. During this time I have discovered I have a family of skinks living in my backyard. Now I am getting mobile again and able to shoot I will try and get some shots of them.

Update, now 3 crackers! Ed.

To each his own!

Hello I don't know what you mean?Sad

See my Post above, no. 3

Cheers. Ed.

To each his own!

Hi jimmer

It's colloquial English to say the images are cracking good shots - it doesn't mean we are all crackers! I suspect only us oldies know about such language (!!!).

By the way I love your frog. How close were you? Did you mean the mouth to be out of focus? Either way it works for me because the eyes are the focal point of the picture and you have skilfully achieved a blurred background. The left eye even shows a reflection of you and your house, I think?

Regards

Jeff

(Jul 28, 2015, 09:35)EnglishBob Wrote:  I've been unable to get out and about for the past coup,e of months due to some back and hip issues. During this time I have discovered I have a family of skinks living in my backyard. Now I am getting mobile again and able to shoot I will try and get some shots of them.

Hi Bob

I have to confess I don't know what a skink is (pardon my ignorance) unless it's a skunk by another name, perhaps? Sorry you have been waylaid - we have been deprived of your excellent images meanwhile.

Looking forward to seeing the skinks!

Jeff

Skins are small lizards, usually 3-5 inches long.

Albino Cobra and a rattle snake

Attached Files Image(s)

Hello Freeman oh I understand now!!! Yes I did mean to get the mouth out of focus I just wanted the eyes in good focus, and yes that is the conservatory reflecting in the eye. It took a long time for him to keep still I followed him for ages. Kind regards Jim

Still more Crackers!! Ed.

To each his own!

(Jul 29, 2015, 08:24)jimmer123 Wrote:  Hello Freeman oh I understand now!!! Yes I did mean to get the mouth out of focus I just wanted the eyes in good focus, and yes that is the conservatory reflecting in the eye. It took a long time for him to keep still I followed him for ages. Kind regards Jim

I admire your patience, Jimmer, and the picture! Cheers, Jeff

(Jul 29, 2015, 08:17)Paul I Wrote:  Albino Cobra and a rattle snake

Terrific stuff! Wow! I specially like the rattlesnake - would you be tempted to crop out some of the background I wonder or add a touch of vignette? Cheers, Jeff

Here's an oldie, but only one I can think that fits the subject.

Golden Crocodile, not an albino. Mandalay Bay Shark Reef, Las Vegas, Nevada.

Fuji Finepix 3800, ISO 100, 1/25th, F/2.8, 36mm, ISO 100.
[Image: golden-crocodile.jpg]

Trying to escape! Toad in a hole.....