Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Resizing Images

I need to know how to resize images to the following criteria: 2MB, 1600 pixels for longest side of image and 300dpi.  The image size in Photoshop wouldn't give me what I needed.  I used the Save to Web feature and, too late realized that the images weren't saved as 300dpi.  I did a lot of searching on the web for how to do this, but came up empty.  Can someone please help me?  It may be too late for the competition that I entered, but there is always next year.[Image: rolleyes.gif]
Thanks,
Faye

Hello Faye.

If you are using a Windows PC, you could try the FastStone Image Viewer. Choosing Resize/Resample in its Edit Menu (using one of my images) brings up the settings window shown below - it seems to have exactly what you require. FastStone is free software, so do a web search, download, and install.

Cheers.
Philip

Faye, open the image in Photoshop. In the "Image" drop down menu click on "Image size"
In the window that opens, make sure that "resample image" is ticked, enter the long side dimension in px in the upper, dimensions field, in your case 1600 (the short side will fill in automatically) and enter 300 in the "Resolution" field and make sure that the reference field says "Pixels/inch". Choose the re-size interpolation method you would like to use, "Bicubic, Linear or Nearest Neighbour." If in doubt, leave it on Bicubic. Nothing else matters. Click O.K. and it's done. You now have the image at the size you require. Now, in the "File" drop-down menu, click "Save as" and choose "Jpg" from the dialogue that appears, and then choose the compression that you want to use, which will dictate the file size. I wouldn't use a number smaller than 60. Enter the location where you want the image to be saved to and click O.K.

GrahamS
Take my advice.  I'm not using it.Wink

(Jan 11, 2017, 15:29)MrB Wrote:  Hello Faye.

If you are using a Windows PC, you could try the FastStone Image Viewer. Choosing Resize/Resample in its Edit Menu (using one of my images) brings up the settings window shown below - it seems to have exactly what you require. FastStone is free software, so do a web search, download, and install.

Cheers.
Philip

(Jan 11, 2017, 16:21)GrahamS Wrote:  Faye, open the image in Photoshop.  In the "Image" drop down menu click on "Image size"
In the window that opens, make sure that "resample image" is ticked, enter the long side dimension in px in the upper, dimensions field, in your case 1600 (the short side will fill in automatically) and enter 300 in the "Resolution" field and make sure that the reference field says "Pixels/inch".  Choose the re-size interpolation method you would like to use, "Bicubic, Linear or Nearest Neighbour."  If in doubt, leave it on Bicubic.  Nothing else matters.  Click O.K. and it's done.  You now have the image at the size you require.  Now, in the "File" drop-down menu, click "Save as" and choose "Jpg" from the dialogue that appears, and then choose the compression that you want to use, which will dictate the file size.  I wouldn't use a number smaller than 60.  Enter the location where you want the image to be saved to and click O.K.

Graham, I had tried what you describe several times and it didn't work.  My images were downsized to around 4 mb, not the 2mb that I needed.  I'll give it another shot, though.  Who knows, I may have kept making a silly error.  Thanks for responding.

When you get the final chance to save, there is a horizontal slider that can vary the file size. Ed.

To each his own!

Faye, don't check the file size with the image open. Check the size of the closed file on the hard drive.
Also note what Ed said above. The slider that he is referring to is the file compression slider. The bigger the number (0 to 100) the lower the compression. For a smaller file, use a lower number to compress more.

GrahamS
Take my advice.  I'm not using it.Wink

(Jan 11, 2017, 14:23)Faye Wrote:  I need to know how to resize images to the following criteria: 2MB, 1600 pixels for longest side of image and 300dpi.  The image size in Photoshop wouldn't give me what I needed.  I used the Save to Web feature and, too late realized that the images weren't saved as 300dpi.  I did a lot of searching on the web for how to do this, but came up empty.  Can someone please help me?  It may be too late for the competition that I entered, but there is always next year.[Image: rolleyes.gif]
Thanks,
Faye

The 300 dpi number needs to be converted to ppi.  dpi is a printer term and might not equal ppi.

Specific functions must vary model dependent, this is CS4. Al

To each his own!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Eddy Canon
Jul 17, 2016, 09:35