Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Rise of the All in Ones?

Apple has been pretty much king of the All In One PCs with their iMac line, and their windows counterparts have mostly been lacklustre.

There's the new 27" XPS One from Dell which have been receiving glowing reviews. The jewel in the crown is a gorgeous 27" 2560 x 1440 PLS display, which some reviewers say is better than some professional monitors they have worked with.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/04/dell-...g/?m=false

I think if you're not into Macs, then this is a great alternative.

That is a nice machine indeed. I've been keeping an eye on the all in one PC's, but being the computer nerd that I am it's hard to accept something that I can't easily take apart and manipulate, upgrade or repair myself. When I first started researching them in their infancy, they were lacking certain aspects that would spark my interest to purchase, such as enough speed, ram and hard drive space for my unusually intensive use and abuse I put my PC's through, also the screen sizes were smaller and too pricey for the big ones. Now that's changed, thanks for reminding me to check them out, I'm in need of a new PC in the coming months so I will be considering this one. Never was a Dell fan myself, but have never had any bad experiences either so it's worth trying for me.

I'd hate to throw out a perfectly good 2560x1440 27" screen just because I want to upgrade my PC internals.
I think these all-in-one PC's are great for the first six months when all the internals are still "current tech", but as soon as it comes time to upgrade they become a huge burden. I look at them and see all the restrictions and downsides of a laptop without the convenience or portability a laptop gives you.
I'm sure the LCD manufacturers love them though. Big Grin

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Couldn't see getting an all in one myself, my system is currently running two monitors, and thinking of adding a 3rd screen for more work space.

I must say though, having used two generations of iMacs - I just love the form factor of just having a large monitor on your desk, and no separate unit hiding somewhere under the desk. Also you can always add another monitor easily if that's your thing...

Do people actually upgrade components anymore? I used to build my own systems in the past thinking I would be able to upgrade individual components later. But each time when it came to upgrade I would just build a new system from scratch as the motherboard, ram etc all was obsolete by then and the tradeoff wasn't worth it.