Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Samsung EX1 / TL500 Review

I really like how camera manufacturers are now pushing the message that you don't have to carry a DSLR to be serious about photography. More and more, we're seeing alternatives arise that give photographers the control, features and performance they need in a more compact, non-DSLR type package. I read the review of the Samsung EX1 / TL500 on Photographyblog and it got me really excited - how's this for features: 24-72mm equivalent zoom lens, large 1/1.7" CCD, f/1.8 maximum aperture, ISO 80-3200, RAW shooting, flip out, articulated LCD and external controls, including dual control dials.

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/s...x1_review/

Quote:Having reviewed literally hundreds of cameras over the years, it's still very rare to pick a new one up for the first time and instantly think that most things feel just right. That's certainly the case with the EX1, thanks to its wealth of external controls
also

Quote:Image quality too is excellent, thanks to the larger than usual CCD sensor and the sharp and bright 24-72mm lens.
Anyway, it ended up with a "highly recommended" rating, so head on over to read the review to whet your appetite.

I see that most of the competition in this review is the m43 cameras. Actually, the s90 and g11 are the real competition for this camera - the sensor is much smaller than the m43 cameras and no interchangeable lens - so basically cannot compete in the mini *systems* camera category. If you want to see a really exciting camera in the same category, stay tuned for the LX3 successor. Just my $0.02,,,.

I agree with regards to the competition - there's no way I'd put it up against the M43 crop - they're in a different class of their own. I reckon this one is up against the likes of the LX3, S90 and G11, Ricoh G-series as you pointed out. What I am excited about is the thought that - hey you don't need a big DSLR to be an enthusiast. They're pushing ahead with cameras such as these to equip those who want portability without compromising image quality and functionality / ease of operation.

I had the opportunity to do a shoot the other day of aerial gymnasts performing on suspended ribbons of silk. I used both my Nikon D200 and my GF-1 during the shoot. The shots taken at high ISO were as good or better from the GF-1 - and I felt that the dynamic range of the GF-1 was superior to the Nikon.

I did not expect that result from a head to head comparison of the 2 cameras under identical (and difficult) conditions. This supports your theory about not needing an SLR to take quality photos, Jules. I now also feel much better about my decision to take only the GF-1 to Iceland next year.

I think that the camera manufacturers actually missed the boat with regard to their target market. They felt that the largest market for these cameras would be people upgrading from a point and shoot - but it appears that the bulk of the market is from enthusiasts *downgrading* from an SLR.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by bridgette1967
Oct 31, 2018, 09:08
Last Post by EdMak
Jun 9, 2015, 09:30