Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Scam or not?

I occassionally receive emails requesting permission to use my images that people have seen through flickr or redbubble.

Recently I have received three requests in a very short amount of time causing me to be wary...

The first email was a request for a quote to use one of my images on a book cover (non exclusive). The email was from a "@ucpress.edu" email address and appeared to quite legit, providing author names that check out and a contact phone number at "University of California PressAcquisitions Department"... I haven't called the phone number.
I replied requesting more info on the size of the print run / would credit be given for the photo? etc.. I suggested a one off fee of $300US as a fair price depending on the terms.

The second email from a .se (swedish?) email address requested permission to use one of my images in a header for a new web site. They attached an example of what they were hoping to use (an edited version of my image which looked quite professional looking header)...
I replied stating that I would give permission for $75AU.

I'm normally quite wary of scams but I still wasn't really concerned until I received the third email (and I quote):
"Hi !
I am interested of purchase some pictures from you!
I am building a website and would like to use a picture from you.
Please send me a price.
Jim "
This was also from a .se email address. I replied fairly bluntly asking them to be more specific.

I'm sure at least one of these is a scam to obtain my bank account details or something similar. I'll see what details they ask for when they respond... and give them nothing.

My question to you - Are there any dangers in sending them a paypal invoice directly to their email???

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

Interesting... was it the same pictures?

I wonder whether your picture(s) or flickr page was featured somewhere or mentioned in an article or blog post? That could explain the rush of emails... but it does sound weird if you haven't received many before this.

I think paypal invoice would be a pretty safe bet actually - that way they only see your email address registered with paypal and the payment notification is instant. No messing around with bank accounts, currency conversion, etc. As you have done, I would probably try to suss them out a bit more first to see if they are genuinely interested before sending payment details.

shuttertalk Wrote:Interesting... was it the same pictures?
Different pictures - located on different sites (which keeps me hoping the first email is legit).

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

shuttertalk Wrote:As you have done, I would probably try to suss them out a bit more first to see if they are genuinely interested before sending payment details.
+1

I wouldn't send the paypal invoice until you had much more info. And I would not limit the negotiations to email; get them on the phone (preferably on their dime. Smile) Even with the time difference you can work something out.

After further emails I am reassured that the book cover is a genuine offer. We are now negotiating the conditions.

The owner of the website has agreed to my terms and I will wait to see if he pays the paypal invoice...

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

It turns out that I shouldn't have been so suspicious.
Today I received a cheque by airmail regarding the book cover.
Even the website owner came through and paid my requested fee by PayPal.

It was enough to push me over the edge. Tonight I broke my long standing loyalty to Pentax and bought a Canon 50d... Now I just need to figure out how to pay for some glass...

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

Sell more photo's. Wink

Congratulations on everything working out ok.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Congrats! It's a great feeling being "discovered", and even better when there's a paycheck at the end of it! Cool

Enjoy the 50D too. Smile

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Kombisaurus Wrote:Enjoy the 50D too. Smile
Its an amazing camera but everything feels backwards. It's going to take a while to feel comfortable with the dials and menus...

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

Wow! Congrats! Looks like it's payday! Big Grin

smarti77 Wrote:It was enough to push me over the edge. Tonight I broke my long standing loyalty to Pentax and bought a Canon 50d... Now I just need to figure out how to pay for some glass...
I love mine, it handles high contrast so much better than me previous Rebels, even the guys in the camera club shooting 5D's were impressed by it's improvements.