Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Sensor cleaning revisited

Hey all, I'm getting a sensor brush to review soon, so I'm looking forward to that, but also nervous at the same time whether I could be doing my camera any harm. Just wondering how everyone goes about cleaning their DSLR sensors (or should I say sensor filter/plate/thingy)? What works best for you? How often do you do it?

Along similar lines - does anyone actually follow the recommendations from the camera manual - i.e. abstaining from self cleaning, and sending your camera into be cleaned by qualified service personnel only?

I bought some sensor cleaning things, but so far have only used the sensorsweep - a brush which you charge up by using a blower first. I'm very happy with the results, almost all the disgusting marks are now removed, but a few stubborn ones won't move. Perhaps they may go with a wet cleaning.
I've used it a few times now, first time I did it I was very careful, now I can do it a lot faster - but scared that I might get too confident and break something... haha, but really, it's quite simple.

I do it (dry clean) with the sensor sweep when I see any signs of dust on my photographs Big Grin

Don't be nervous, you can do it Big Grin

I managed to keep the istD sensor clean mainly with a simple 'hurricane' blower. I did wet clean it a couple of times too - used Digipads and eclipse fluid.

The wet cleaning wasn't anywere near as frightening or difficult as I thought it might be - honestly. I simply mounted the camera on the tripod next to a window, angled it downwards slightly so I could see the surface of the sensor (well the filter that covers the sensor, to be more precise). that meant i could actually see the stubborn specks with the naked eye.

A drop of Eclipse, wipe once each way with a clean pad (use each side only once) and that did the trick no bother. the result was excellent too - bright/clean sensor, dust specks all gone.

Pol

Just in time Pol, as my sensor looks a bit spotty. (well blue sky in shots)
My whoosh brush is a very small one, so I may get the Rocket.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

I havent really had to " clean " mine yet . I did get some " dust " on it and just using a " puffer " did the trick . When would/should i get it cleaned ? Just when i see specks or after a bunch of shots ( i am getting there very quick ) ?

........ Shawn

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

NT73 Wrote:Just in time Pol, as my sensor looks a bit spotty. (well blue sky in shots)
That's the one, either that or the 'Hurricane' blower which is available from 7dayshop or warehouse express. The Digipads and Eclipse fluid are available from Warehouse Express.

It's not the actual sensor your wiping anyway. It's the filter in front of the sensor that you're cleaning (low pass filter iirc - I'm not into all that techno babble stuff)

No more thn 1-2 drops of fluid onto the tip of the pad then wipe L-R with one side, turn the pad and wipe R-L with the other side. Then try a test shot and if it's not as clean as you wish just repeat the cleaning proces with a fresh digipad.

Just be sure not to uset he same digipad twice, use a clean pad per clean and a fresh side of the pad for each diection.

BTW - the smaller the aperture, the more the dust specks will show through on the pictures .... so I did my test shots (of a sky) at about f16 ... some of the really pernickity folks do their test shots at f/22.

Pol

Banded Drake Wrote:I havent really had to " clean " mine yet . I did get some " dust " on it and just using a " puffer " did the trick . When would/should i get it cleaned ? Just when i see specks or after a bunch of shots ( i am getting there very quick ) ?

........ Shawn
Just do it when it becomes too much work and bother to be spotting out the specks with the software (cloning, spotting or whatever method you use when post processing).

When you find you can't get it clean enough with the blower or the marks are too stubborn. Then's the time to think about using the pads and fluid.

I know nothing about all the latest fancy sensor cleaning gizmos. The pads and Eclipse do the job well for me so I never had reason to try any other method.

Pol

Yay, the review unit came in the mail courtesy of Fedex today! Big Grin

It's the Arctic Butterfly 724 from VisibleDust.com ...

http://www.visibledust.com/products.php?PID=201

Will post some more when I find some time to do actually use it.. Big Grin

Woah! You get a review unit!
Then you have to send it back when done?
You should get your sensor very very dirty and see how it goes Big Grin

Eat cornflakes over it Big Grin

Haha, fortunately I think I get to keep it. They probably don't want a used sensor brush back... Big Grin

You get to keep it! how mega-ly cool!

Polly Wrote:
NT73 Wrote:Just in time Pol, as my sensor looks a bit spotty. (well blue sky in shots)
That's the one, either that or the 'Hurricane' blower which is available from 7dayshop or

Pol
Got the Rocket today and a Samsonite bag as well. I will take a couple of shots of it as it is quite neat, for local jobs. The fluid & pads I will get if required.
I remember all the little tips but sometimes forget where to look.
i.e. caravette arm pod with the ball head etc.Big Grin Trouble is I don't sit in the back with cups of tea.Rolleyes

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

NT,

I'm not quite sure what you mean?? D'ya mean you were looking for details of the multitripod and ballhead setup I use when using the long lens from the side of the campervan (setup on the passenger side opened window).

If so - I use the 'ErgoRest' multi-tripod with a Manfrotto 222 Grip Action Ball Head. Best offer I know of atm for the Ergorest is about £42 from 7dayshop. Dunno the current price of the 222 Ball head but they're widely available. The Ergorest and 222 tripod head is also reviewed by Andy Rouse on the Warehouse Express site.

Here's the link fort he 7dayshop offer. http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_..._id=100940

Hope that's the info you wanted. Wink

Pol

Polly Wrote:NT,
Dunno the current price of the 222 Ball head but they're widely available. The Ergorest and 222 tripod head is also reviewed by Andy Rouse on the Warehouse Express site.

Pol
The 222 costs £69-95 at Warehouse express. I can't post a link 'cos of the way they designed their website but there's a picci of it HERE - just so you know for sure which one I mean.

Pol

..... and a couple of snapshots of the Ergorest + 222 Ballhead set up on the window of the camper. One from the inside, one from the outside ( with the Sigma 170-500 attached)

[Image: ergo_attached.jpg]

[Image: crop_sig.jpg]

Polly

No Pol, I was meaning I drive so that would get in the way or I would have to change seats.Big Grin
I do remember that (Ergorest) and a lot of other things. I was just using that as an example. But thanks anyway.

Lumix LX5.

Wow, that's a pretty cool setup Pol! Big Grin

Hey all, I've finished the review of the Arctic Butterfly 724 from VisibleDust - would really appreciate if everyone could have a quick squizz and provide any comments or feedback before I release the article into the wild... Big Grin

http://www.shuttertalk.com/articles/arcticbutterfly

Thanks,
Jules

I like the reveiew , thanks for letting us take a peak at it .

..... Shawn

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

Nice write up Julian.Smile

Lumix LX5.

Looks good Julian - perhaps you should revisit the value for money when you compare it to the cost of the other methods on the market.

Cheers,

Chris

Canon stuff.

Good point Chris... this is exactly the kind of feedback I need before I publish it in earnest. Big Grin

Thanks everyone for the comments as well...

I have to say I didn't read it, but just by the pictures I would be interested in buying it... It looks very easy to clean with this brush.

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

shuttertalk Wrote:Hey all, I've finished the review of the Arctic Butterfly 724 from VisibleDust - would really appreciate if everyone could have a quick squizz and provide any comments or feedback before I release the article into the wild... Big Grin

http://www.shuttertalk.com/articles/arcticbutterfly

Thanks,
Jules
Very good review in my opinion. I've come acrossone or two people who were using them (and liked them) and idly wondered how they worked - so now I know.

I'll be pointing one or two to yer review, Jules. Smile

Pol

shuttertalk Wrote:Wow, that's a pretty cool setup Pol! Big Grin
It's very useful when parked up, especially in the campervan as it's set up quite a bit higher than a tripod - so I can see over hedges etc and further into the distance.

It's not suitable for when the vehicle is moving though, because it's not actually *clamped* to the door/window. It's firm enough for general support but you'd need the proper clamping system for 'on the move' shots.

Pol

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post