Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Shooting a $380,000 car with $60,000 of lighting

If you're into your fine cars, or are just interested in how pros shoot and post process those fantastic car photos, here's a great video showing the process from start to finish.

I really like how he explained the theory - using the massive light bank to accentuate the lines of the "shoulder" and then using spot lighting to highlight certain important features. I really enjoyed how he shows the differences as each light is added in.

http://fstoppers.com/aventador

What does everyone think of the post processing? A bit over the top?

By the way, you can download the final image as a wallpaper here:
http://d1ljua7nc4hnur.cloudfront.net/wp-...lpaper.jpg

Great find, Jules. Very informative.

Apparently the post-processing was intended to be overdone, per the photographer himself responding to the critics:

Quote:" “The Lambroghini is over retouched” - Hell yes it is! I haven’t even run the image that the video contains because I feel the same way, but therein lies an aspect of irony. The video that the fstoppers made (and made well in my opinion) is a lesson in where things go in commercial photography, and where they can go. It would be worthless to make a video of instruction and have the photographer end it with, “I get every shot out of camera” because no one does.

The best photographer can shoot beautiful images that convey light and emotion effectively, but they will never run unretouched for an ad. What Scott and I set out to do was make a video to teach people how photography on a commercial level works. From the prep, to the retouch, we wanted to show aspects of the process that a lot of photographers prefer not teach due to some unfounded sense of insecurity that showing to much will hurt their bottom line.

We knew from the beginning that I would show lighting, both easy and for retouch, and he would show how much retouching could do, why waste the time doing work and interviews to show how little we can do? The result is a shot of over perfection that separates from reality and walks right in the door of surreal. The entire time irony sunbaths in the concept that many of those we set out to teach got angered by what we taught. "

I remember talking to a photographer about shooting cars and he told me about this guy who had done this beautiful commercial shot of the latest and greatest. He asked him what he used for lighting - the response - "Available light"

Then he showed him the truck full of lighting gear that he called available light Smile

Canon stuff.

As Eugene Smith is reported to have said, available light is “any damn light that's available”.

I haven't had a chance to watch the video yet, but that photo is amazing.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

By the way, the car was a Lamborghini Aventador.

I also thought it was funny/cool how he used a computer game's "free view" mode to view the car from all angles to plan his shoot - since his access to the brand spanking new car was limited prior to the shoot.

Oops, looks like the car is not looking to pretty now...

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-feature...1x2fq.html

Quote: Video and images of a Lamborghini Aventador burning to the ground have surfaced on the internet, with reports on automotive enthusiast site Jalopnik claiming the car was being test driven by a potential buyer at the time it caught on fire.

The car reportedly belonged to a Lamborghini dealer and was reportedly being driven by an internet entrepreneur who happily posed in front of the Italian supercar after fire-fighters extinguished the blaze.

I wonder how long it takes for the fire service to arrive on the scene, lay out the hoses, connect to a very handy water supply and dowse the fire.
My Isetta bubble car would have happily burnt to the ground if there had not been snow on the ground at the time.
I think this is a set up.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

I was debating about buying this $750,000 car. Now I have a reason not to...

(Apr 16, 2012, 04:14)NT73 Wrote:  I wonder how long it takes for the fire service to arrive on the scene, lay out the hoses, connect to a very handy water supply and dowse the fire.
My Isetta bubble car would have happily burnt to the ground if there had not been snow on the ground at the time.
I think this is a set up.

Actually from the pictures I think by the time the fire engine got there it was a charred piece of toast...

Although I'm sure it'll buff right out... no worries... Big Grin

And the 'in' colour this year being black........ ;D
Its only chicken feed to a multi millionaire anyway. A throwaway like buying a lottery ticket. huh.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Another car shoot gone wrong...

How ironic - the burnout actually caused the car to ... burn out. Big Grin

http://www.stancenation.com/2012/04/25/5...ups-downs/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post