Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Shopping for new camera... . Any thoughts?
Star 

hi! I'm David... . Using my phone camera now, and interested in replacing my old Minolta camera body with digital, and using the old lenses... . Does that even work?

Or are ya' just better off startin' over fresh? Kinda like gettin' remarried... .

Gotta go! Gotta go! Check with you later... . Thanks.

Hi David, welcome to Shuttertalk. There are adapters that will allow you to use some Minolta lenses on modern DSLR's. It all depends on the lens and model. The adapters don't always allow a full range of actions with the lens . This again would depend on the camera you choose and the adapter used.

What do you like to shoot? What can't you do with the phone that you want to be able to do with a camera?

(Aug 26, 2015, 10:36)EnglishBob Wrote:  Hi David, welcome to Shuttertalk. There are adapters that will allow you to use some Minolta lenses on modern DSLR's. It all depends on the lens and model. The adapters don't always allow a full range of actions with the lens . This again would depend on the camera you choose and the adapter used.

What do you like to shoot? What can't you do with the phone that you want to be able to do with a camera?

Thanks for taking time to reply. Currently I am enjoying doing outdoor pictures, and just pictures of things I am doing, and stuff to send to friends, and kids using the 16 MP camera on my Samsung note 4 edge... . I love both the camera, and the phone, and it has in fact gotten me going with photography again... .

Currently I have a couple of lower res digital cameras my little brother gave me, and a canon rebel body that a friend gave me, and I am exploring the possibility to making a trade with a pawn dealer, (or something), exchanging a lot of relatively inexpensive phone equipment, and household goods, (I am preparing for a move into a downsized lifestyle), for a more valuable higher end digital camera that he may be having trouble selling. Sort of a wholesale to wholesale type deal that can be advantageous to both parties... .

My Minolta is not repairable, and while my lens are probably not particularily valuable dollar wise, their replacement cost new would be much higher, and I feel like I never really got done using them before my camera broke, and I stopped taking pictures... .

If you have any suggestions for what kind(s) of cameras to keep an eye peeled for, and perhaps more importantly what to avoid, I would appreciate it 'ole buddy... . Do you like Nikon? Would my lenses mount on that body? What do you like to use personally, and can you provide any constructive ideas that I can provide a better basis on which I can further proceed?

Thank you again for your time, and thoughtful reply. Gotta go again... .

Kindest regards,
brother david

Welcome Brother David

It might help others here to reply if you gave an idea of exactly which old Minolta lenses you already have, and how much you are prepared to spend on a camera body. As a mainly Pentax user, I don't know much about other makes. However, I think that some Minolta lenses can be attached directly to some of the modern Sony camera bodies, but perhaps with restricted features. Maybe someone else might be able to clarify, or you could search the Web for relevant information.

Cheers.
Philip

Welcome. What model Minolta do you have. Ed.

To each his own!

(Aug 26, 2015, 10:36)EnglishBob Wrote:  Hi David, welcome to Shuttertalk. There are adapters that will allow you to use some Minolta lenses on modern DSLR's. It all depends on the lens and model. The adapters don't always allow a full range of actions with the lens . This again would depend on the camera you choose and the adapter used.

Bob - Here is an additional further reply concerning the use of the proposed new camera... . Long distance telephoto shots at events. Earlier in the year I tried to photograph an event from a long distance with my old phone, and could not get any usable pictures. I had a little better luck at a later event with my new phone, but the pictures I am trying to take sometimes, (not all the time), really seems to require more traditional photography equipment. Thanks again for your kind reply.

Hi guys! First of all please accept my thanks for the warm reception that has been extended to me in this post community, and especially for the time you have spent with your replies. Having read the ones received so far I am able to supply the additional information regarding what I was working with previously:

Minolta XG 1 with a Minolta brand 45mm 1:2 Lens - the initial marketing package to the consumer.

Store branded 1:2.8f = 135mm lens that may have a 55mm barrel diameter. I used it to take wide angle telephoto shots, and it produces nice pictures... .

Store branded 70 to 210mm f4.0 Macro/One Zoom Lens. I was never even really able to use this lens much before my camera broke, but ostensibly it takes fabulous long range zoom shots, and is probably capable of producing very nice pictures as well... .

All three of these lenses are Minolta Mount, and did not currently require the use of adapters with my old camera. This equipment is probably deemed to be ancient, and worthless to many people today, (and maybe it is...), but it worked well for me before, and I am still very pleased to have it. So there is not a tremendous write off barrier to buying additional newer equipment, but I feel like I want to make the transition to a digital camera, and I am of modest means with regard to the matter. I would be willing to do what it takes to buy a high quality upscale camera, but the truth is I probably need to make a good deal on little critter, and I probably can't afford to feed it with accessory delicacies very often either... . It does seem to make sense for me to make a further quality upgrade to a good digital camera because I enjoy taking the pictures, and it is so convenient to put them into my laptop, and send them around to friends. I really can't justify paying for film/processing expenses to enjoy using my camera as often as I would prefer to use it... .

Thanks again to all of you who have replied so far. Will check back again soon to hear from ya'... . Gotta go.

Kindest regards,
david

Your Minolta uses a MC/MD mount, there are adapters that will allow you to use those lenses with the Canon Rebel you already have and at least Sony Alpha Cameras.

You do lose some functionality with the adapters though.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/99...mc_sr.html

(Aug 26, 2015, 19:18)EnglishBob Wrote:  Your Minolta uses a MC/MD mount, there are adapters that will allow you to use those lenses with the Canon Rebel you already have and at least Sony Alpha Cameras.

You do lose some functionality with the adapters though.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/99...mc_sr.html

Thanks for sending. That's very good news, and is worth knowing, and I was not aware of the availability of adapters... . The link you sent is very helpful to get the right thing. The bad new is is the camera body was given to me because the guy switched to digital cameras, and this one uses film... .

Thanks again. Back tomorrow... .

david

Oh, so it's a film Rebel? nm then LOL.

If the lenses fit a Sony, then all will be manual adjustments. Ed.

To each his own!

Welcome to the photography forums! Nice to have you as a member here!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

(Aug 27, 2015, 05:21)Barbara G. Wrote:  Welcome to the photography forums! Nice to have you as a member here!

Thank you dear... .
david

(Aug 26, 2015, 20:13)EnglishBob Wrote:  Oh, so it's a film Rebel? nm then LOL.

Yeah right. Thinking about at least possibly ordering the adapter anyway, The Rebel appears to be a good camera even though it is a consumer level product, I realize that it can produce great pictures. Late last evening I followed your own postings, and I was able to understand that is part of the way you once started... . Perused a FEW of your many pictures, and enjoyed your work, and have some appreciation for what it can take to produce pictures like many of those. We shoot a lot of the same things, and the principle difference is the skill levels, (that can be learned), and my equipment.

Speaking of which: I followed a link Amazon sent me this morning to a very nice used Canon Rebel EOS consumer package that is on offer for a reasonable price. I noticed that with the exception of the camera body, I already have most of the most important stuff included with that outfit, and a few well placed accessory purchases on my part would give me a remarkably complete outfit that could be entirely suitable for me to proceed with taking some of the pictures I can't take now. (I shot an absolutely fabulous picture of my old $75 Nokia windows phone. I can easily see how much better that could have been with a different camera...).

The client care goal direction for 'ole brother david is to find a very high quality digital camera, (regardless of brand), that can use my current lenses preferably without adapters, buy a couple of additional recommended accessories that are likely really necessary, and go from there. It would seem to make the most sense to buy the very highest quality upgrade available in the used market for the camera body, and gradually further proceed with additional high quality upgrades as they become necessary, and are affordable. Please realize that I am sub-optimized already right now, and so it seems to make some sense to buy quality at a discount, and use the stuff I already have the best I can... .

I really appreciate your help 'ole buddy. Thanks for your time. Realize that your working too... . Please stay in touch the best you can. Thanks again!

david

(Aug 26, 2015, 20:13)EnglishBob Wrote:  Oh, so it's a film Rebel? nm then LOL.

Yeah right. Thinking about at least possibly ordering the adapter anyway, The Rebel appears to be a good camera even though it is a consumer level product, I realize that it can produce great pictures. Late last evening I followed your own postings, and I was able to understand that is part of the way you once started... . Perused a FEW of your many pictures, and enjoyed your work, and have some appreciation for what it can take to produce pictures like many of those. We shoot a lot of the same things, and the principle difference is the skill levels, (that can be learned), and my equipment.

Speaking of which: I followed a link Amazon sent me this morning to a very nice used Canon Rebel EOS consumer package that is on offer for a reasonable price. I noticed that with the exception of the camera body, I already have most of the most important stuff included with that outfit, and a few well placed accessory purchases on my part would give me a remarkably complete outfit that could be entirely suitable for me to proceed with taking some of the pictures I can't take now. (I shot an absolutely fabulous picture of my old $75 Nokia windows phone. I can easily see how much better that could have been with a different camera...).

The client care goal direction for 'ole brother david is to find a very high quality digital camera, (regardless of brand), that can use my current lenses preferably without adapters, buy a couple of additional recommended accessories that are likely really necessary, and go from there. It would seem to make the most sense to buy the very highest quality upgrade available in the used market for the camera body, and gradually further proceed with additional high quality upgrades as they become necessary, and are affordable. Please realize that I am sub-optimized already right now, and so it seems to make some sense to buy quality at a discount, and use the stuff I already have the best I can... .

I really appreciate your help 'ole buddy. Thanks for your time. Realize that your working too... . Please stay in touch the best you can. Thanks again!

david

(Aug 27, 2015, 02:15)EdMak Wrote:  If the lenses fit a Sony, then all will be manual adjustments. Ed.

Appreciate your reply Ed. Thank you for serving in the war. We're all still speaking English over here in America too... .

Kindest regards,
david

(Aug 26, 2015, 13:55)MrB Wrote:  Welcome Brother David

It might help others here to reply if you gave an idea of exactly which old Minolta lenses you already have, and how much you are prepared to spend on a camera body. As a mainly Pentax user, I don't know much about other makes. However, I think that some Minolta lenses can be attached directly to some of the modern Sony camera bodies, but perhaps with restricted features. Maybe someone else might be able to clarify, or you could search the Web for relevant information.

Cheers.
Philip

Thanks for sending sir. Following your suggestion has helped very significantly, and am starting to receive some helpful information from some of the other posting members. Appreciate your time... . Thank you again.

david

That's a pleasure David. One extra little suggestion: Near the top left of the page click on "User CP". You will then see the "User Control Panel", so down the left hand side click on "Edit Profile". You can then add as much or as little as you like, but one helpful detail to have there, e.g. for when you ask other members about buying gear, is the country where you are now living.

Cheers.
Philip

(Aug 27, 2015, 09:28)MrB Wrote:  That's a pleasure David. One extra little suggestion: Near the top left of the page click on "User CP". You will then see the "User Control Panel", so down the left hand side click on "Edit Profile". You can then add as much or as little as you like, but one helpful detail to have there, e.g. for when you ask other members about buying gear, is the country where you are now living.

Cheers.
Philip

Aye Aye sir! Still sort of finding my way around a little. I live in Sioux Falls, South Dakota USA currently... . Really appreciate you. Thanks... .

david

(Aug 27, 2015, 09:35)brother david Wrote:  
(Aug 27, 2015, 09:28)MrB Wrote:  That's a pleasure David. One extra little suggestion: Near the top left of the page click on "User CP". You will then see the "User Control Panel", so down the left hand side click on "Edit Profile". You can then add as much or as little as you like, but one helpful detail to have there, e.g. for when you ask other members about buying gear, is the country where you are now living.

Cheers.
Philip

Aye Aye sir! Still sort of finding my way around a little. I live in Sioux Falls, South Dakota USA currently... . Really appreciate you. Thanks... .

david

Just went ahead and updated the user profile at your suggestion. Managed to include my whole life story, or a reasonable facsimile thereof... . Appreciate your help. Thanks again... .
david

That's good, David. My goodness what a busy and active life you lead - I'm exhausted just reading about it! Smile

Cheers.
Philip

(Aug 27, 2015, 13:16)MrB Wrote:  That's good, David. My goodness what a busy and active life you lead - I'm exhausted just reading about it! Smile

Cheers.
Philip

Yeah right. Just scaled it back considerably... .
Looked for cameras on line today. Too many... .

Back tomorrow... .
david

Hey 'ole buddy... . The camera I have is a Canon Rebel 2000. I have found a manual for it on line, and it is a like new auto focus SLR that is still being offered for sale on Amazon with modern auto focus lenses.

Speaking of which: I have explored hundreds, and hundreds of listings on line with Amazon, and Ebay, (over load man...). I have explored Sony to some degree, and noticed they have a newer E Mount lens mount system on some of their newer offerings, and I will really need to be careful if I want to use my current lenses on anything else I would buy... . If I buy on line I can get optimized with a purchase selection. If I buy locally I will have to buy what is available, and make the best deal I can with what I have to sell myself.

I need to learn something more about camera mounts, and adapters. Noticed you have used Canon cameras for many years, and I know you are very knowledgeable about them. They are very, very popular, and there are a lot of them in the market. It is likely I could find one of those in digital in some variation, possibly with some lenses included... . Simply using my current lenses in manual operation on a digital Sony, (or possibly Canon), auto focus camera is not an important issue for me really. but buying a higher quality body than anything I have ever used before is... .

My Samsung Note 4 Edge camera is 16 MP, and it takes some very nice pictures, and I am extremely pleased with the whole thing. It makes sense for me to find my next digital camera to be at least that good, and be able to make the shots that I can not make now, and preferably using some of the stuff I have already... .

Take it light. I'll keep an eye peeled for ya'... . Thanks again.

david

I am very happy with Canon DSLR's. I was using an older Canon Rebel until January of this year, the Xti, still takes great pictures. The advantage of a newer Digital Rebel (T series) is that they are better in lower light, have more megapixels and also shoot video.

Most of my gear has been purchased through B&H Photo or more recently a little at Amazon. If you need to purchase locally, Best Buy now price match B&H.

(Aug 28, 2015, 08:56)EnglishBob Wrote:  I am very happy with Canon DSLR's. I was using an older Canon Rebel until January of this year, the Xti, still takes great pictures. The advantage of a newer Digital Rebel (T series) is that they are better in lower light, have more megapixels and also shoot video.

Most of my gear has been purchased through B&H Photo or more recently a little at Amazon. If you need to purchase locally, Best Buy now price match B&H.

Yeah right. I have been intensely interested in this for the last couple of days, and feel like I have made at least some progress toward clarity in the direction I should go. I have been away from photography for the years since my magnaminous divorce from Madam Gazonga... . I really don't have much current knowledge about what is going on now, but there was once a day when I at least fully conceptually understood how to operate a manual 35mm camera, and I loved taking the pictures that I did. (That was the 'head fake' - next came Einen Shitrum...).

If I order the adapters from the link you sent me can I use them with the Canon camera I have now, (film though it may even still yet be), and also with a newer later model of Canon digital camera to be found, and purchased now, or at least very soon? Right? Right? Right? Right!

I think that I am on track to a positive goal direction with that idea, and the new outfit may possibly be found to include at least one auto focus lens unless I just find a camera body only, and buy that... .

Thanks for sending. Gotta go. Back later... .
david

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by mooremob
Jun 16, 2015, 01:29