Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Should I buy additional batteries for travelling?

Just wondering - I've never needed additional batteries for my Nikon D50 or Canon IXUS 55; I've done a few short trips, but a single charge has always lasted me whole day and more; sometimes the whole trip even.

On my europe trip, I plan to charge batteries every night so I have plenty of juice to last me through the day.

I'm wondering though, do people carry spare batteries on them, and how often have you had to use them? Should I get some extra sets...

It would be fine if you bought one. Better safe than sorry... Smile

Also you should see that you will be visiting countries with a different peg ??? connector?? (clavija is in Spanish) some are round here, some are flat in Italy, What do you use in your country? you should have a converter for your storage and your battery charger.

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Irma means the 2 or 3 pin mains plug adaptor, (I think) which you can buy at the duty free shops at the airport.
UK is 240v 13 amp 3pin (slightly oblong.) Most of france spain italy greece is 110v 2pin (round)
Your own battery charger should be multi voltage. I have two batteries for my cameras. Charge them at night when going into hotel/apartment/tent/caravan Rolleyes My chargers will both work from the cigarette lighter in the car (12v). Don't charge on a coach as their system is 24v.

Quote = I plan to charge batteries every night so I have plenty of juice to last me through the day. Unquote
Beer and red wine with a little spirit do it for me.Big Grin

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

I remember seeing somewhere that a battery will last longer and be more efficient if it is allowed to discharge first.
It,s better to replace with a spare when needed rather than keep "topping Up" overnight.

yeah, me too I stick with the fear of memory effect, even though it's said with that Li-metalhydrid batteries it should not occur, but I rather carry a spare with me and discharge my batteries completely. the spare weighs just about nothing and can really save you missed shots.

Hey ST I had a little thought last night. I don't know if you are on an organised(courier) type holiday or on your own, but in London there are open-topped buses which take you round the popular sites. And boat trips on the Thames. You will have to google them for more info, but it could be a good way to get a few cheap shots all in one day.
Then you can visit the rest of the UK (the better bits)Big Grin

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Cool thanks Ray - I'll keep an eye out for those buses. We're doing a guided tour of Europe, but we have a couple of days in London to kill before the tour begins. Might look into those...

Thanks everyone, I might get a spare battery just in case...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Margo
Dec 27, 2013, 18:26