Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

ShutterStock

Can anyone help me to get accepted by ShutterStock?

John Hoepfner

You already made a post on this, getting accepted is all about quality and subject of the images you submit.

(Jan 31, 2015, 18:04)EnglishBob Wrote:  You already made a post on this, getting accepted is all about quality and subject of the images you submit.

Hey BOB thanks. Sorry about that....ya my quality nor subject is not there. I have to study it more. Anyway, they kicked me out for now....I guess. Guess I am a slow learner. I mean RE: Title...A cow is a cow....what else do you call her? Bossie? And as for Key Words...I just plain do not get what they are going after. So...that is about that for now. Thanks again. Appreciated he note. Oh, and I have to up my resolution....pixels? Again, I thought I knew something about taking pictures...but I guess I do not. + I can not even learn how to post a photo on the forum site..later John

Resolution, correct pixels, and they need to be shot at that higher resolution, they will not accept images that have been sized up most of the time.

As for naming and keywords, A Cow might be a simple name, but you might name it "Friesian dairy Cow ready for milking" ans use keywords such as "Cow, Black white, milking, dairy, farm, beef"

I did stock images for 2-3 years and in the end just quit, the pittance earned was nowhere near worth the effort.

(Jan 31, 2015, 19:32)EnglishBob Wrote:  Resolution, correct pixels, and they need to be shot at that higher resolution, they will not accept images that have been sized up most of the time.

As for naming and keywords, A Cow might be a simple name, but you might name it "Friesian dairy Cow ready for milking" ans use keywords such as "Cow, Black white, milking, dairy, farm, beef"

I did stock images for 2-3 years and in the end just quit, the pittance earned was nowhere near worth the effort.

Bob, Thanks. So you never hit it big RE: Stock Photo's eh? Too Bad. They say it can happen! Anyway, I would not be talking to you today if it were not for ShutterStock: I tripped on the site a 5 months ago after trying to sell a photo to a Puzzle Company. The people at the Puzzle Co were nice but told me they are not in that kind of business anymore. They, are the ones who told me about StockPhoto Companies. I had heard about them years ago but never tried to pursue the ave. Anyway. I bit the bullet and e-mailed ShutterStock and the rest is History. They all seemed to be a nice group of folks except for the Admin Dept. Somehow or other the Lady in charge got tired of me resubmitting the same images, (the ones they said could have passed inspection) along with 3 new images. Anyway, my batches kept coming back say that I still do not have "7" usable images but to keep trying...until they said enough and kicked me out. They told me I was not learning their process for submitting to them and until I improved they would not let me back in. The lady told me that when I was ready I could submit 3 new images with proper titles and key words and have their staff approve or disapprove my work. What I really wanted from this company is some exposure...I figured it could not hurt me even though I would only be earning a few Cents on the dollar. Anyway, that is where I am coming from. I am going to try to post another one of my images on this forum site where you all can take shots at. About it for now...by the way, you do live in England or the U.K. right or wrong? I live in a city called Appleton, WI near the Football town of Green Bay.... John H.

I am from England, but have lived in California for the last 14 years.

(Feb 1, 2015, 21:41)EnglishBob Wrote:  I am from England, but have lived in California for the last 14 years.

Bob, Thanks. Bet you like the weather better than England, eh? However, they always told me that England has climate and the USA has Weather. I know it is true when trying tio grow flowers where I live.
Anyway, got another question. Every time I try to post an image on this forum site it tells me that my file is too large. How do I downsize a file? Or what the heck are they talking about? Thanks. John

PS Where is Calif. do you live?

John, what processing software do you use. Ed.

To each his own!

I'm in the Central Valley, in Clovis, about an hour south of Yosemite National Park.

(Feb 2, 2015, 14:38)EdMak Wrote:  John, what processing software do you use. Ed.

Got me? I have a MAC I put the card into the MAC and the photo shows up on my screen and I put it into my hard drive and if I want send it via E-Mail to anyone. So when I post it to the Forum Site I use that JPEG and it passes right back to me because they say it is too large of a file. I am no computer geek therefore I can not get past this problem. Therefore i am seeking help. Actually I do not get it. Why does it work when I send it, the image to any other site? John H.

Different sites have different size limits. I am unfamiliar with Mac's (other then the Big variety) so don't know what comes with them.

You need some program that will let you resize the image to around 1400 x 1050 or smaller. I usually post around 1024 * 768.

Just checked and max size for this site is 1024 x

(Feb 2, 2015, 16:26)EnglishBob Wrote:  Different sites have different size limits. I am unfamiliar with Mac's (other then the Big variety) so don't know what comes with them.

You need some program that will let you resize the image to around 1400 x 1050 or smaller. I usually post around 1024 * 768.

Sorry...I do not know how to do that. How do I get that kind of program? John

PS No wonder I have wasted so much time on the forum site. Those folks did not tell me what you just have told me.....but even so, they should have told me how to do something like that. John

(Feb 2, 2015, 15:50)John Hoepfner Wrote:  
(Feb 2, 2015, 14:38)EdMak Wrote:  John, what processing software do you use. Ed.

Got me? I have a MAC I put the card into the MAC and the photo shows up on my screen and I put it into my hard drive and if I want send it via E-Mail to anyone. So when I post it to the Forum Site I use that JPEG and it passes right back to me because they say it is too large of a file. I am no computer geek therefore I can not get past this problem. Therefore i am seeking help. Actually I do not get it. Why does it work when I send it, the image to any other site? John H.

This will not help much... but the reason you get it back is simply because if we all posted files in the MB range, the site would probably fill its servers and fall over! I have to get my files down from 40Mb each to somewhere in the region of 450Kbs.

I have Windows so I can open each photo file in MS Office Picture Manager, hit Edit, Compress to document hit OK and save... It goes in as a 18 wheeler Mack and comes out a bicycle!! But, you can park a lot more bikes in a given space as Trucks! Big Grin Surely Mac have a similar picture viewer with an edit function? You can resize in PS or LR5 or many other photo manipulation soft ware packages...
do you have one?

Any other Mac-ists out there??

Good luck..

Kind regards

Rolf

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

If stuck, send it to me, I will resize, and return.

Spec, broadly, longest side, 2000 Pixels, overall File size, under 1Mb. Cheers. Ed.

To each his own!

(Feb 3, 2015, 02:11)EdMak Wrote:  If stuck, send it to me, I will resize, and return.

Spec, broadly, longest side, 2000 Pixels, overall File size, under 1Mb. Cheers. Ed.

Ed...Thanks. What is your e-mail handle so I can attach the photo(s)? Thanks.

John

PS IU tried doing a ZIP send but ShutterStck told me it was not of the kind they accept.

Look on my profile, not a good idea to show it here, recipe for Spam. Ed.

Link to Profile.

http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/User-EdMak

To each his own!

Hi John, I am a MACii have been all my computer literate life, I hope I can help. Apples built in software for handling photos is iPhoto, I presume you have this. Alternatively you may have picked up Photoshop Elements or software specific to your camera manufacturer. Let me know what software you have and I will try to help.
Regards
John