Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

ShutterTalk Digital Photography Contest August 2014: Calmness & Serenity

This was taken at Wast Water in Cumbria. A really lovely place with gorgeous scenery. Taken with a Canon 600D, f/13, exp 1/160 sec, 14mm focal length.

Attached Files Image(s)

Please see attachments

Church - 18th century Church surrounded by 80's hustle and bustle architecture, still providing a calm and serene sanctuary.

Couple and new baby - enjoying a few brief minutes of calm and serenity from the chaos of a new born!!

A delightful pool reflecting serene blue skies and fluffy white clouds surrounded by beautiful trees. A truly calming effect.

South Downs, West Sussex. 17th August 2014 17:00. Olympus Stylus 1 1/800 f4.5

A Japanese meditation garden

Attached Files Image(s)

Just look at her face, the picture of calmness and serenity, how that is done with 19 kids in tow I'll never know

(embeddable link, thought I would try it, not sure if the watermark is allowed as this is a contest)[Image: AC3R7472-L.jpg]

[quote='vincentvictor@shaw.ca' pid='96638' dateline='1408811887']
Just look at her face, the picture of calmness and serenity, how that is done with 19 kids in tow I'll never know

Sorry
1DX 300mm f2.8 IS11 with 2X 111 extender f5.6 ISO 125

This was shot on Ardrossan's north shore. I have no idea who the couple who walked into the shot with their dogs were but I decided to take the shot anyway

(Aug 23, 2014, 10:38)vincentvictor@shaw.ca Wrote:  Just look at her face, the picture of calmness and serenity, how that is done with 19 kids in tow I'll never know

(embeddable link, thought I would try it, not sure if the watermark is allowed as this is a contest)[Image: AC3R7472-L.jpg]

[Image: _MG_0054%20island%20sunset-L.jpg]

Gulf Islands at sunset taken from the ferry to Vancouver Island British Columbia
5D MK11 70-200f2.8 IS11 at 70mm 1/3000 sec

Vincent, intrigued at the 1/3000 shutter speed, EXIF does not give all details, What ISO, aperture, thanks. Ed.

To each his own!
Photo 

Taken at a B&B in Owen Sound, Ontario. My two sisters and I go "girl trippin' " every summer. There was a small horse farm next to the B&B that we stayed at. I got up each morning to watch these two graze in the early morning sun.

Attached Files Image(s)

Life is good. Capture it!

(Aug 26, 2014, 03:11)EdMak Wrote:  Vincent, intrigued at the 1/3000 shutter speed, EXIF does not give all details, What ISO, aperture, thanks. Ed.
Hi Ed, I just revisited the original RAW file:

Shooting mode--Aperture priority set at 2.8
ISO--100 (auto ISO was set)
Evaluative metering
Exposure compensation was set to -1/2
I honestly cannot explain the shutter speed as I was in aperture priority with auto ISO, I guess my camera wanted to get experimental on me, weird I know.
Just to mention, the RAW file looks just like the TIFF and JPEGs
It turned out quite well at that shutter speed
Could be the camera's meter focused more on the sun somehow hence the fast shutter speed
Happy accident
Vincent

All against the "Rules" but it seems to have worked. Surprised, again! at the Aperture choice, why did you choose this, considering it was a view. More Cheers. Ed.

To each his own!

Inveraray Scotland Taken with Canon 5D Mark III with a 24-70 F2.8 settings F3.5 1/2500 ISO 100

This photo was taken on the road to Corron on 24th August with a Canon 5D markIII ISO 400 F5 1/400

Mingarry Scotland taken with a Canon 60D, with 24-105 F4 L series, ISO 100, F13 1/40 sec on 24th August

(Aug 26, 2014, 10:27)EdMak Wrote:  All against the "Rules" but it seems to have worked. Surprised, again! at the Aperture choice, why did you choose this, considering it was a view. More Cheers. Ed.
Hi Ed
Sorry, I stand corrected, ISO was set at 100 by me, auto ISO was not set, I was in a bit of a rush to get to work this morning but wanted to answer your post first, so I missed that detail.
I chose the largest aperture I could to let in the most light for a fast shutter speed as the ferry was moving (never dreamed it might be THAT fast)
I know the lens has IS but I was just hedging my bets to ensure a clean shot
Vincent

Hi everyone,

Took this on trip to Kruger national Park and is one of my favourites of the whole trip. First photo is just to show the location.

Hope you like the following picture as as for me, a difficult shot because of very low but strong evening sun, side lit and subject in dark shade, 5 others in Land Rover bouncing around for good shot, no monopods allowed.

Details:
EOS 7D, Tv, spot metered, Sigma 120-400m at 120mm 1/400 f5.6 ISO 1250
post processing: saved raw as 2x 16bit tiff with 1.5 stop exp difference to blend exposure as HDR with minimum settings, so minimal artifacts to increase dynamic range for details in shadows and highlights.

Whatever.......

Sunset on Cape San Blas, Florida. Sigma DP1, 28mm (fixed), ISO 400, F8, 1/125.

Attached Files Image(s)

(Aug 2, 2014, 06:55)Barbara G. Wrote:  ShutterTalk Digital Photography Contest August 2014: Calmness & Serenity

Category: Calmness & Serenity
Contest Begins: August 1st, 2014
Contest Ends: August 31st, 2014
Open To: ShutterTalk Digital Photography Forum Members
Contest Type: International Photography Contest
Prize: Amazon Gift Card (Undisclosed Amount)

Guidelines:

Submit up to three photos of digital photographs showing scenes of calmness and serenity.

Images must be posted here in this forum thread and be owned legally by the contributing member. Please also submit information about where the photo was taken along with some brief details.

Digital photography entries should be family friendly and be taken within the last 90 days from the date of entry into the contest. A small amount of post processing is preferred. The photograph should be interesting and draw the individual into the scene and have few distractions.

Judging

Judging will consider different criteria including, but not limited to, creativity, relevance to category, and photo quality. Judging will occur when the contest ends and results will be posted in the forums as soon as possible.

Winning Multiple Times During Monthly Contests - NEW

A member can be chosen as the winner twice within a six month period. This will even the "playing field" to some degree to allow other members the ability to enter their high quality photographs and have the opportunity to also be chosen as the winner during a new monthly contest theme.

Please refrain from commenting on other's posts in this thread until the contest end date.

Letting Others Know about the Contest

We would love to let others know about our contests. We plan to have a contest each month. If you have friends who love photography, please let them know!

If you love social media, please share with your media friends about the contest on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, your blogs, everywhere! We would love to have them in here in the forums and be a part of the contests!

Questions?

Please let us know if you have any questions!

Dawn breaking on the Oxfordshire and Northamptonshire border.

Tea for two. Taken on my mobile, Nokia Lumia 1020 F2.2 IOS 200

First of all, thank you to all those who added to the August contest thread! There were some really nice entries, although some of them were taken a number of years ago!

Congratulations to snaphappy (post #26)! This entry was selected as the August contest winner!

We look forward to seeing more entries of your recent photo shots in the September Photography Contest thread!!

(Sep 7, 2014, 11:23)Barbara G. Wrote:  First of all, thank you to all those who added to the August contest thread! There were some really nice entries, although some of them were taken a number of years ago!

Congratulations to snaphappy (post #26)! This entry was selected as the August contest winner!

We look forward to seeing more entries of your recent photo shots in the September Photography Contest thread!!

where can I see the winning picture post #26 how do I navigate to this?
thanks
roger

(Aug 18, 2014, 14:22)snaphappy Wrote:  This was taken at Wast Water in Cumbria. A really lovely place with gorgeous scenery. Taken with a Canon 600D, f/13, exp 1/160 sec, 14mm focal length.
We'll done snap happy really beautiful photo, can see why it was a winner. Lovely part of the country to photograph, look forward to seeing more like that
Graham