• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

ShutterTalk Digital Photography Contest March 2014: Black & White

ShutterTalk Digital Photography Contest March 2014: Black & White

Category: Black & White
Contest Begins: March 1st, 2014
Contest Ends: March 31st, 2014
Open To: ShutterTalk Digital Photography Forum Members
Contest Type: International Photography Contest
Prize: Amazon Gift Card (Undisclosed Amount)

Guidelines:

Submit up to three photos of digital photographs showing your most creative photography in black and white. This can include anything that is family friendly - scenery, people, trees, flowers, objects, and more.

Images must be posted here in this forum thread and be owned legally by the contributing member. Please also submit information about where the photo was taken along with some brief details.

Digital photography entries should be family friendly and be taken within the last 90 days from the date of entry into the contest. A small amount of post processing is preferred. The photograph should be interesting and draw the individual into the scene and have few distractions.

Judging

Judging will consider different criteria including, but not limited to, creativity, relevance to category, and photo quality. Judging will occur when the contest ends and results will be posted in the forums as soon as possible.

Letting Others Know about the Contest

We would love to let others know about our contests. We plan to have a contest each month. If you have friends who love photography, please let them know!

If you love social media, please share with your media friends about the contest on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, your blogs, everywhere! We would love to have them in here in the forums and be a part of the contests!

Questions?

Please let us know if you have any questions!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

OOO, wasn't expecting the March competition to be in so early in to February. Gives you plenty time to start to take your images

Yes - I will normally try to get them up early enough for members to take some time to take photo shots they are interested in. This month caught me by surprise and I didn't get it up until a few days into the month.

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Sharing. The Christmas spirit in the wild.
Diane Dahlin

Attached Files Image(s)

HELLO THIS IS PIC OF MY GRANDSON

Attached Files Image(s)

New picture - Old Boat

Man and Best Friend

Playing round with studio lighting. Nikon D300, Nikkor 35mm F1.8, 1/125 sec, F11, manual. Grab shot taken at end of session.

[Image: 10713945836_1f0a2916a2_o.jpg]

Lou-Lou

[Image: 8651861111_f3bd28171a_o.jpg]

hello this is a statue of who is a mystery

Attached Files Image(s)

(Feb 16, 2014, 13:44)StellaMN Wrote:  Man and Best Friend

Playing round with studio lighting. Nikon D300, Nikkor 35mm F1.8, 1/125 sec, F11, manual. Grab shot taken at end of session.

[Image: 10713945836_1f0a2916a2_o.jpg]

This is beautiful. The dog could be related to my own 1 year black & white cocker. A winner in my book.

Subject, Brother-in-Law. Taken whilst he was sitting at my desk.

B & W conversion & cropping in PhotoPlus.

Nikon D300, ISO 500, F/8, 320Sec, Bias -0.7, Metering - Pattern, 36mm, Manual Exp, Auto White Balance. Single off camera SB800 @ 45 degrees, Custom Shop snooted grid, (Cereal Box & Black drinking straws)

Here is my first entry. It's called Poppy's Christmas Pudding. Taken on a Nikon D3200 with a 35mm lens.. Only post production was conversion to black & white in iPhoto.

Attached Files Image(s)

A bit pensive. Wedd, two weeks ago. 60th@5.6 400ISO 35mm lens setting, no flash. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

(Feb 17, 2014, 13:33)Joby135 Wrote:  Here is my first entry. It's called Poppy's Christmas Pudding. Taken on a Nikon D3200 with a 35mm lens.. Only post production was conversion to black & white in iPhoto.

Joby,

A beautiful capture and a wonderful dog, those big eyes just say 'please love me'. No doubt they belong to mankind's best friend.

Regards.

Phil.

(Feb 17, 2014, 15:54)EdMak Wrote:  A bit pensive. Wedd, two weeks ago. 60th@5.6 400ISO 35mm lens setting, no flash. Ed.

Hi Ed,

Hope the flu & viruses have now departed.

So here we have yet another example of 'how it always ought to be done' from Ed. Marvelous stuff as always Ed. Keeps the rest of us on our toes and gives us something to aim for!!

Cheers.

Phil.

This is one of my Mum. She always poses for me no matter how unglam I am going to make her! Took this as a close up, specifically for B&W, then applied a 'Andrzej Dragan' style to the image by converting to B&W and adjusting the colours till I achieved the desired tones, applying 2 adjustment layers to adjust the levels and curves. I then duplicated the original layer, applied a high pass filter (experimenting with how much until I was satisfied) and then changed the layer to overlay. I do hope you like it.

Attached Files Image(s)

(Feb 17, 2014, 15:54)EdMak Wrote:  A bit pensive. Wedd, two weeks ago. 60th@5.6 400ISO 35mm lens setting, no flash. Ed.

Beautiful pic. Looks like she is taking her responsibilities very seriously.

(Feb 18, 2014, 12:09)DigiDiva Wrote:  This is one of my Mum. She always poses for me no matter how unglam I am going to make her! Took this as a close up, specifically for B&W, then applied a 'Andrzej Dragan' style to the image by converting to B&W and adjusting the colours till I achieved the desired tones, applying 2 adjustment layers to adjust the levels and curves. I then duplicated the original layer, applied a high pass filter (experimenting with how much until I was satisfied) and then changed the layer to overlay. I do hope you like it.

Diva,

Cracking shot, you've captured fabulous levels of detail. Jolly well done. Bravo. Smile

Regards.

Phil.

Thanks Joby and Phil

I might have put up a colour version of this elsewhere, if so, apologies for the boredom factor. Smile

Techie Stuff,
Nikon D300, f/5.6, 160sec, 1000 ISO, Bias +0.07, 48mm, Manual, White balance - Auto.

Never mind the techie stuff: where was that taken and which locomotive?

This, and many more photos were taken on an incredibly miserable, overcast, VERY COLD, 'and boy do I mean cold', you know, the cold that gets into your very bones, sometimes referred to as 'too cold to snow', March day 2013 along different sections of the West Somerset Railway. (http://westsomersetrailway.vticket.co.uk/)

If you like Steam Loco's then go to here, Digital Photography Forums › Photography Forum › Photo Showcase v
Steam Power to see more taken on the same day.

Best regards.

Phil.

Hi, here's a couple of jolly self-portraits and my favourite household machine - that is, a coffeemaker! Taken on Canon550D all indoors.