Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Sigma DP2S???

Here I am again, semi-fluttering around the possibility of maybe perhaps splashing out towards the GF-1 + 20mm.
Then I was having a chat with our very own Rufus which explored the possibilities of the Sigma DP2S...
....has this camera crossed anyone's mind here?
Apparently wheezy and slow AF, overpriced, tortoise-like recycle time, terribly low 320x240 pixel vid, nominally/arguably 7MP...BUT with a marvelous-quality sensor and a simply knockout fixed f2.8 lens that gives about 40mm in equivalent "35mm" terms.
A fiddly interface, so I understand...yet so obviously aimed at photographers: exposure comp; option for spotmetering, pop-up flash for those quick-fill opportunities, and RAW too.
Personally, I could see either of these babbies going in my pocket for my Italy trip soon, particularly as I'll have superglued the Zeiss to my Canon body... Tongue..
...But seriously folks: do any of you have opinions or knowledge about the Sigma DP2S?

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

This item is due to be released on September 5, 2010.

£463.90 Amazon
My pocket carries the panasonic TZ5 for portability. And for unportability a big backpack with everything else.
But you are younger than me Zig. You have more time to read the instruction book. Big Grin

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Thx NT.
Well, Amazon UK are "releasing" it then, yet it's already fully available throughout the UK I gather.

(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Slow autofocus is a deal breaker for me. That is why I could never seriously consider the Olympus Pens.

SLR size sensor
The size of the image sensor used in the DP2 camera is 20.7mm x 13.8mm. It is approximately seven to twelve times larger than the 1/1.8inch to 1/2.5inch image sensors used in ordinary compact digital cameras. The pixel size of the image sensor is 7.8µm. The large photodiodes deployed at a large pixel pitch capture pure, rich light efficiently and give the DP2 its high resolution and richly-graduated tones.
* Foveon X3 is the registered trademark of Foveon.

Whoops I only have an ordinary camera. Sad

Full colour image sensor
The DP2 uses the same 14 megapixel (2652×1768×3 layers) direct image sensor as the SD14 and DP1. Utilising the special features of silicon, which is penetrated to different depths by different wavelengths of light, this direct image sensor succeeds in full-color capture with the full RGB in a single-pixel location. Since the moire is not generated, use of a low-pass filter is not needed because full information of light and colour can be captured with three-dimensional feeling.

TRUE II image processing engine
The DP2 incorporates "TRUE II" which is an improved version of "TRUE" (Three-layer Responsive Ultimate Engine), the world's first image processing engine suited for the three silicon embedded layer direct image sensor. The unique image-processing algorithm, which has been developed throughout the development of the SD series digital SLR cameras and DP1, is incorporated into "TRUE II".

Among many other things it says. Also if you want it today it is £499.99. (or 5-7 days £550) Big Grin

How long before perfection arrives and consigns these 'latest thing since sliced bread' to the obsolescence valley? Progress is moving much faster these days .

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Ta Toad; thank you for the grand detective-work NT!
I'm increasingly attracted by the apparent enigma of this Sigma Cool
It would seem to be a "photographer's camera" in terms of what it is able to do, yet jpeg output marred with inconsistent white-balance. There seems to be some adverse comments about its metering...but these could be down to user-error perhaps.
I wonder if Matthew or Jules is about...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by maisie
Oct 6, 2018, 04:55
Last Post by Casey1721
Aug 22, 2017, 02:17