Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Singh Ray Variable ND Filter Review

Yowsers, 400 buckeroos for the convenience of a variable ND filter, adjustable from 2 2/3 stops to 8 stops. Plenty of downsides too such as vignetting, one filter size (77mm), some funky stuff going on with the metering, and most obviously, the price. But you are able to fine tune the amount of stoppage you want, which can be useful in challenging lighting situations.

http://www.digital-photography-school.co...duo-filter

As a complete non filter user, I can see the advantages of using any filter, but only to get "special" shots. The old fashioned way was to wait until it got dark. The disadvantage to that is that you can't see what you are doing. (Falling in the river at midnight sure is fun. Rolleyes )
The only example shot that I found interesting enough, was the chimney and smoke. The water shots I would imagine could be done with multi exposures and a bit of photoshop work.
But if you can sell your work then cost is no object, is it?
I am just wondering if I can justify the 18-275 Tamron PZD lens.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Hi NT, re the 18-275: I'm wondering why you'd want this lens given your present lens setup...is it to just to have the full gamut of lengths under the one barrel, as it were? I smile a little at one of our fraternity's emotive words, "justify" Wink , reckoning that this word is just our code word inviting another to increase any sense of self-permission we might wish!
So...on that count then:
Yes, of course! You MUST have this lens, always promising the missis that you'll flog one of the others, it'll be less flapping about while you change lenses...particularly if you pass on the ex-lens to Mrs NT, accompanied by a small but perfectly-formed bouquet/box of chocs.
Tell me, what attracts you to the lens? I've seen no reviews of it but confess I do like that little Canon "kit" lens...funnily enough, our own Rufus loves the 18-55: it was my first Canon lens in fact, when I got the 350D, and to be honest I really liked both the wide and the long ends, finding it great for portraits and with a nice drawing quality for facial tones.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Well the reviews of course, of the PDZ seem to say "Buy me, I am a terrific all in one lens, quiet, reasonably fast focussing, not too heavy and a respectable price. Plus a few stops extra with IS."
At present if I decide to take all my kit with me it goes in a backpack. A bit sweaty for an all day job, so I tend to only take it, on a specific photo outing.
The 18-275 would mean one lens, one body. I mean it won't go in my shirt pocket but the better range justifies that. But at 73 (age) will I justify the price and get my money's worth from it.
Review link http://www.tamronlensreview.com/tamron18270pzdvcreview

Yesterday I went to Oxenhope specifically for the choo choo's. I mainly used the 17-55 kit lens. The 'nifty fifty' was not wide enough (although it is the best lens in my kit) the 300 was used a couple of times.
Inside the exhibition shed it was too dark for the kit lens without a tripod (which I managed to forget) this was where the LX3 came into it own.
The station itself and exhibition hall is free to visit. Sunday steam trains were every 3/4 hour. (2 alternate between Keighley and Oxenhope, stopping at stations between.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by bridgette1967
Oct 31, 2018, 09:08
Last Post by EdMak
Feb 9, 2016, 13:07