Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Sisters

This small set is from last night's photography group session where Harriet and her sister Honi came along. It was a chance to get a few nice portrait shots for the portfolio - and I'm happy enough with these - but somehow the whole thing was a little unsatisfying. The lights were set up for us, the metering taken, and the ideal camera settings advised. All we had to do was stand in the right place and click. And as there were about 20 people there it was hard to get enough time to develop any rapport and really try and find the shot. A few people did find the time to do that, but it was at the expense of others.

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh, though. I was tired out from three long days in Birmingham and I'd rushed the 70 miles home to try and get to the club on time. I guess I was a bit jaded.

It's an area I'd like to explore more, but I think it needs to be done in small groups and in an environment where one can make lots of mistakes (in lighting, directing, camera settings) and slowly build up learning and experience. i.e. Give a man a fish and eats for a day, teach him how to fish...

Anyway, all with the Nikon D7100, 50mm prime, 1/160th f/5.6

Hi Derek,
Having been fortunate enough to attend a lighting techniques course,(only eight on the course two days in duration) it's easy to identify with your frustrations, we were able to pose the model within the lighting setup which obviously changed how the model was lit we were encouraged to meter both the main light and background lights, mixing ambient and flash to influence the final image.

Your quote "I'm happy enough with these" would suggest for me that you feel you could have achieved much more, which I believe you can.

-bite the bullet find a local lighting techniques course and smash it.

Cheers Pete

RAW to the core.

(Sep 22, 2017, 03:11)Eddy Canon Wrote:  Hi Derek,
Having been fortunate enough to attend a lighting techniques course,(only eight on the course two days in duration) it's easy to identify with your frustrations, we were able to pose the model within the lighting setup which obviously changed how the model was lit we were encouraged to meter both the main light and background lights, mixing ambient and flash to influence the final image.

Your quote "I'm happy enough with these" would suggest for me that you feel you could have achieved much more, which I believe you can.

-bite the bullet find a local lighting techniques course and smash it.

Cheers Pete

You can view a few of my images including some actions shots at

http://www.art-seekers.com

Hi,

I have run a number of lighting courses and generally have a small group 4-5 people and go through different settings and involve the students. Get them to measure the lighting, set the lights. Even set up the lights etc. By doing things you learn more. Even is you attended a larger group you should have picked up something. A tip for anyone who wants to learn on a budget is to use a few old flashes units that can be picked up cheaply from auction sites. If doing studio lighting you do not need all the fancy things like ETTL etc. Obviously there are advantages in using larger studio lights and I have 6 Bowens units but when I started years ago I was working in an environment where studio lights were not possible.

You are quite right to feel unsatidfied, Derek. A lighting course should be hands-on, or you learn little.

GrahamS
Take my advice.  I'm not using it.Wink

Just to be clear, it wasn't a lighting course. It was our normal Wednesday night photography group / class (*). It was an opportunity to get a few nice portrait shots, and it's a little too short, and the group's too big, to go into such a large subject in detail. On reflection, I think I should have built and controlled my own agenda a little more forcibly, and chosen one thing to focus on and learn.

(*) sometimes it's a theory session, sometimes photo reviews, sometimes we have a guest speaker, sometimes we do practical, and often a mix of all the above.

A day you learn something is not a day wasted. Ed.

To each his own!

Hi delb0y,

I have done studio lighting taster sessions for my camera club, that are done in the evenings. Obviously in a few hours we have limited time to cover more than the basics but I also make things hands on when I do these. We are fortunate to have a large club and normally have 2 of us doing the training. I would say if this is something you want to take further either look for some private tuition or do a course. Some photo suppliers like Calumet.co.uk do these.

All the best

Mike

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Jan 9, 2018, 21:05
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Sep 7, 2008, 13:10