Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Sky replacement

I took this picture of the Tetons reflected in Jenny Lake on my honeymoon almost a year ago. I never really liked it much because it was, well, boring.

[Image: b7850060-2.jpg]

So anyway, I had a crack at replacing the sky with something more...sky-like.

Does it look not too fake?

[Image: b7850060-3.jpg]

Sony A700/ 16-80mm / 70-300mm / 11-18 mm / 100mm macro

My Flickr page

As everyone here knows, I am a huge believer in image fakery - I fake things all the time like the sky in this shot.

Nice blending - no hard lines against the mountains to give it away (at least at this resolution). Extra points for faking the sky's reflection - that is the type of visual cue that first time fakers tend to ignore but the viewer senses immediately. A little bit of blue tint on the reflection would have improved it even more.

From an old pro at fakery: 8 out of 10. You are a slippery slope. Soon you will want to do something more complex and then you will have truly entered the dark side...

I was looking for the reflection, too, so good work on that one. I've never actually gotten a sky replacement to look right, so I'm not the best one to judge, but I'm wondering if the reflection shouldn't fade to a stronger blue (if that makes sense) instead of the stronger grey that the modified image has in the reflection between the mountains?

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

I 'd have to give this 9+ for processing and upgrades. Very well done on all accounts.

Nos an modica tantum nostri somnium
"We are limited only by our imagination"

The difference is great! Well done. Fascinated me, all these processing and your photo. Maybe you can make a little bit blue, the water, but just a little bit, for the reflection of the sky.
Thank you,

with my love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

Nice job Rabid.

Canon stuff.

Your sky is pretty good. The reflection I am not so sure about.
The reflection in the water will not be a mirror image of what is above. Something to do with the height above the centre line, that the photo is take at. You have got the light the correct way round in the sky (Dark above and lighter to the horizon) which is something you do not notice with the naked eye. (familiarity?) :

I think the water would be darker and the clouds hidden a little lower (higher in the reflection) behind the mountains
I should not mess with your pic, but it gives an idea of what I mean.

[Image: 77_b7850060-3.jpg]

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Wow... NT, that is a very intuitive addition. Nicely done.

Nos an modica tantum nostri somnium
"We are limited only by our imagination"

Wow, sky really adds to the picture doesn't it!

nice job guys.It pays to be good with photoshop

Pavel

Please see my photos at http://mullerpavel.smugmug.com (fewer, better image quality, not updated lately)
or at http://www.flickr.com/photos/pavel_photophile2008/ (all photos)

It is not too difficult Pavel. Just like any other discipline it takes a little practise.
I found PS version 1 to be very entertaining and up until I got the Apple I was still finding techniques/tricks with it. Now I have CS I am on a steep learning curve again. I want to try 'slices' soon. Tongue

But it is still better to get the perfect shot first. Rolleyes Big Grin

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post