Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Slave flashes

Hey, just wondering if anyone could recommend any good slave flashes (the ones that can be triggered by another flash), and preferably one that's not too $$$?

My Fuji S5000 doesn't have a hotshoe, but I'd like to play around with some different lighting angles...

Watch out with slave flashes. Often a digital camera will emit a pre flash, (not the red-eye flash), in order to asses the exposure. This pre flash is not visible, as it is so brief, and close to the main flash. A slave however, WILL see it, and trigger with it. Result? Massive underexposure.

Solution?
Where possible, (rare), switch off pre flash,
OR,
Switch camera to full maual exposure,
OR,
Buy a so called "digital" slave, which "learns" to ignore pre-flash. Vivitar make two of these.

HTH.

R.

Cave canem

i still dont know where i can get one from ..
i hsould try the local stores .. but so exp there ..

Peter,

There aren't really any cheap alternatives to flash lighting, you can try the Metz Digital Slave which will be triggered by any light pulse and has an option for pre-flash as Rufus mentioned.

It mounts to the bottom of an external Metz flash unit which you can position where you want.

Or if you want to spend a fortune you can move upto studio flash heads with built in slave cells but they'd each be the same price as your camera!

Jamie

StudioJ Wrote:Peter,

There aren't really any cheap alternatives to flash lighting, you can try the Metz Digital Slave which will be triggered by any light pulse and has an option for pre-flash as Rufus mentioned.

It mounts to the bottom of an external Metz flash unit which you can position where you want.

Or if you want to spend a fortune you can move upto studio flash heads with built in slave cells but they'd each be the same price as your camera!

Jamie

How about these gizmos for tabletop stuff, still life, small products photography or just some 'arty-clarty' enjoyment on a dull Winter's day.

I was thinking of asking for the 'Kaiser Studio out of a Box' plus the 'Lighting Kit' that goes with it for my Birthday - maybe combined Birthday and Xmas prezzies from my sons and husband. The 'studio' is £129-99 and the 'lighting kit' that goes with it is £149-99. See here ....... http://www.warehouseexpress.com/photo/st...table.html

What do you think? Warehouse express is usually excellent - but I've never had anything like this before so I'd appreciate comments before I sweet-talk the family.

Polly

StudioJ Wrote:Peter,

Jamie

ive seen some sets of flashes on ebay for not too bad a price..
like 1400 for 2 flashes and stand and a couple of other things .. .
(not more then my camera).

but im still a student .. so i dont have the cash ...
ohh well ..

mabye ill get a sunpak flash ..
they dont look too bad ...

Polly Wrote:I was thinking of asking for the 'Kaiser Studio out of a Box' plus the 'Lighting Kit' that goes with it for my Birthday - maybe combined Birthday and Xmas prezzies from my sons and husband. The 'studio' is £129-99 and the 'lighting kit' that goes with it is £149-99. See here ....... http://www.warehouseexpress.com/photo/st...table.html

Hey Polly, those kits look interesting! I wonder how flexible the trapeze stand is with the "studio out of the box"?

The Digital Shooting Table MKII looks interesting too - looks like the arm is pretty flexible in terms of positioning.

shuttertalk Wrote:
Polly Wrote:I was thinking of asking for the 'Kaiser Studio out of a Box' plus the 'Lighting Kit' that goes with it for my Birthday - maybe combined Birthday and Xmas prezzies from my sons and husband. The 'studio' is £129-99 and the 'lighting kit' that goes with it is £149-99. See here ....... http://www.warehouseexpress.com/photo/st...table.html

Hey Polly, those kits look interesting! I wonder how flexible the trapeze stand is with the "studio out of the box"?

The Digital Shooting Table MKII looks interesting too - looks like the arm is pretty flexible in terms of positioning.

There are various options if you want something not too expensive. Have a look at the full website at http://www.warehouseexpress.com/ and go to the "Lighting" section. Lastolite have small "Cubelite" collapsible tents, similar tents available from "Interfit" too.

The website is for the UK but there's probably something similar where you are. Even if you don't buy anything - seeing what's available can give you a few ideas as to how you might make something for yourself. It's just that I'm fed up with fiddling about with big rolls of lining paper etc and sticking things up with sellotape, using kitchen foil and silly corners of the house.

I want some smart, proper gear before I'm too old to enjoy it ..... LOL

Polly

Polly Wrote:Even if you don't buy anything - seeing what's available can give you a few ideas as to how you might make something for yourself. It's just that I'm fed up with fiddling about with big rolls of lining paper etc and sticking things up with sellotape, using kitchen foil and silly corners of the house.y

Lol... I know what you mean. My kitchen was a mess with test charts, paper rolls, sticky tape etc... my wife got fed up and made me take it down... Big Grin

It is a neat little system Polly but I can't really see the value in it. For what it is, basically a camera mount, very small shooting table and a couple of desk lamps.

What it looks like to me is a setup for someone who sells things on e-bay and wants to take product photos.

The shooting tents would give you a much more even light but you would still need a flash head and continuous light isn't good enough for that.

I'm building up my studio now but before that I was running 2 x Canon 550EX's and a 420 EX in a slave system, with these you can buy a flash bracket and mount an umbrella and soft box to them for marginal cost, still though its more expensive than a basic studio setup but its also tiny and totally portable.

Thanks Jamie. I'd more or less come to the same conclusion myself after talking to a couple of others yesterday. Also - that camera mount looks quite flimsy and I'm not so sure it would hold the Pentax steady.

There are other options that may cost a little more, as you say, but would probably be better value for money and also a lot more versatile. Our eldest son knows a lot more about this sort of thing than me so I'm gonna wait until he can get home for a few days then he can go through the options with me.

In the meantime I think I might get one of the cubes - either the Lastolight or the Interfit. The Interfit is inexpensive at about £34 and it looks as though it might also be an inexpensive option for using outside (plants/insects/etc) I don't mind shelling out £34 for experimental purposes ..... then if it's ok I'll take it from there.

The 'out-of-a-box' has had the thumbs down all round .. so it's off my list now.

Thanks for your advice.

Polly

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by slejhamer
Aug 27, 2005, 19:25
Last Post by gd
Oct 14, 2004, 22:04