Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Slimming camera?!

HP Digital cameras now come with a slimming feature - after you take the photo, you can apply an effect in camera.

http://www.hp.com/united-states/consumer...dex_f.html

I'd like to know what people think about such features...

In my opinion - I think cameras should represent reality as much as possible.

I guess you could argue that people have been manipulating results for eons - be it through filters, post processing, darkroom manipulation. etc. Is this different?

shuttertalk Wrote:In my opinion - I think cameras should represent reality as much as possible.
I agree. I like the camera to simply get the best image it can. I leave the editing for the PC.
My Pentax DS has a similar on board edit to slim or widen and I have never used it...
I don't use to camera to convert to B&W or sepia either - all done much better by the PC.

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

shuttertalk Wrote:In my opinion - I think cameras should represent reality as much as possible.

I guess you could argue that people have been manipulating results for eons - be it through filters, post processing, darkroom manipulation. etc. Is this different?
That's a big, big question. The easy answer, I suppose, is that this is an example of blatant, unskilled, artless manipulation. It's a dumbed-down version of taking a portrait with a telephoto lens and careful lighting, which is subtle, skilled, and artful manipulation. So, in a way, it's not a new idea, but the implementation does break new ground. I don't think it's a positive move, but I suppose it was inevitable. I retouch my portraits.

The ability to distort reality to fit a preconceived, idealized world view is being built right into consumer electronics -- I suppose it's the camera version of watching CNN....

On a side note, it's a fun web page to read as they dance around the 'Does this photo make me look fat?' question. In a nation where two-thirds of the population is overweight, they say "anyone can appear more slender—instantly." I have to wonder how the salesperson in the camera store handles this particular feature.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

But then why should PhotoShop / portrait experts be the only one that can make people look slimmer? I think it is kind of cool (in an unskilled, artless sort of way)...

Having a quick look at it, it just squeezes the photo in, and you can do that in windows.
It is compressing her face, feet and everything, the same, which is the same as stretching lengthways.
Just lay off the chocolates and buy a box brownie.Big Grin

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

LMAO

funny stuff.

/Paul L.

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

I actually work for HP as a sales rep in local best buy stores and the HP cameras are really for consumers making the move to the digital camera age (they should have moved 5 years ago) and want an easy camera to use with some more advanced fun/stupid features... But this has been in our r-series cameras for a good while now, prob 5 or 6 months! If you guys have questions let me know, i'll be more then happy to answer any questions about the cameras (no they are NOT used for professional shots. They are picture taking cameras, not photography cameras)

I think it's funny how point and shoot cameras evolve under the pressure of the cell phone industry. The camera phones are getting "better" every month, why should anyone buy a camera that is only taking pictures? With a camera phone, you can take a picture, upload it to your photo sharing site, and browse the web. Not to forget games, ring tones and tons of other useless features. Ah, right, and you can make a phone call. The problem is, whatever feature the camera manufacturers add, sooner or later there will be a camera phone that does it too. In this race I'd put my money on the camera phones...

Personally I have no use for either P&S or camera phone. Not until there is a camera phone with integrated bottle opener, cigarette lighter, air pump, electric screwdriver, GPS, high definition TV and golf club.

Gallery/ Flickr Photo Stream

Reality is for wimps who can't face photoshop.

Yes, there's certainly a lot of attraction to getting "cute" or "wow" results with minimal effort - especially with the cell phone industry. I guess most users don't want to know about aperture, shutter speed, etc.

Incidentally, my wife just got a new sony ericsson phone with a 2 megapixel camera and I was really impressed at the picture quality (under good light of course).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post