Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Slow down!

You know I have written this entire post while waiting for PS to load on my partners computer, pretty sad eh?

Any geeks out there? I mean nerds, I'm a geek, don't need a geek, need a nerd.

My PC has half died, it has been freezing up randomly for a couple of weeks and now it won't boot. It comes up with the BIOS screen, sometimes does a memory check, sometimes stops halfway through the video memory check and at others makes it all the way to the IDE detection before freezing up completely and then requiring powering down for a good half an hour before trying again.

If anyone has any suggestions for a device replacement order (I'd say its one of the following.. video, cpu, memory or m/board) to save me doing them all I'd be most joyous.

Hi Jamie

Sounds like it is the hard drive, but not sure as he needs to see whats actually wrong.
but you can check your hard drive with this

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.w...HXKVX.html

Follow intructions from the site.

Thats an expert advice...not from me by the way. Me know noting about pc!!

Regards

Christian

Start with the HDD, take it out the machine, hook it up to the other PC and see if you can read it as a slave device..... IF they are compatable machines, then try the ram...

My best guess would be HDD or Ram... or IDE controller, these days that is usually hard wired to the motherboard unfortunately.

What Bob suggests would be my course of action also. Good luck J. Hope you get things back in order soon.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Yeah it's quite hard when things freeze randomly...

I recently installed a DVD burner and got a heart attack when my PC wouldn't boot up - froze on the IDE detection, wouldn't go any further. I had to unhook the wires to the HDD, CD and DVD and and hook them up again and made sure that everything was tightly plugged in. Booted up fine after that.

The first thing I would do is make sure the hard drive is cleared of Internet clutter, temporary files and the like. Crap cleaner is good for that and it's free.

There is a phenomenon called component creep, whereby a component slotted into the motherboard, will by the nature of the spring loading, be pushed out of the slot it occupies, giving an intermittent performance.

Make sure all the cards are pushed into their slots as far as they will go. If that doesn't cure the problem, then suspect the hard drive. Advice has already been given on how to do that. If the hard drive can be read, then the problem most likely will be with the motherboard.

There are a couple of chips built into the motherboard that directly affect the boot sequence that might be failing. They can be replaced, but I would suggest that be done by a professional.

Look up the beep codes for your motherboard. If some hardware is failing, the computer will issue a series of beeps in dots and dashes, much in the same way as Morse code.
Listen and make a note of what beeps you hear - that will give you an indication of where the problem lies.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Try a System Restore setting to a date previous to problems, tell you something. Ed.

To each his own!

(Aug 16, 2017, 02:01)EdMak Wrote:  Try  a System Restore setting to a date previous to problems, tell you something.  Ed.

Good suggestion, Ed! 
Wink

This has got me somewhat bemused. Suggestions are being posted to assist a problem that was posted in Feb 2005. I would have hoped that a new computer had been obtained by now. Big Grin
Mike.

" Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst "
Henri Cartier - Bresson.

(Aug 16, 2017, 04:15)Browser Mike Wrote:  This has got me somewhat bemused. Suggestions are being posted to assist a problem that was posted in Feb 2005.  Big Grin
Mike.
Ed is very astute, Mike!  
Wink

Yeah, haven't seen Jamie around here in a number of years, pity, he used to post some fantastic work.

Advancing years, and, was giving my Chromebook an airing. Ed.

To each his own!

(Feb 25, 2005, 09:14)EnglishBob Wrote:  Start with the HDD, take it out the machine, hook it up to the other PC and see if you can read it as a slave device.....  IF they are compatable machines, then try the ram...

My best guess would be HDD or Ram... or IDE controller, these days that is usually hard wired to the motherboard unfortunately.

I think so. It may be a good idea.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by adam
Jan 19, 2005, 08:04