Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Small tube amps

I've been toying with the decision to buy a small tube amp. By small, I'm thinking something around the 15W to 30W range. At present I'm considering the Fender Blues Junior, or the Peavey Classic 30, as being the two within my budget.

Anyone has any opinions on these amps? Ever played one, or know of similar amps?

God has placed me on earth to accomplish certain things.
Right now, I am so far behind that I will never die.

How is that different to your Marshall?

My current amp (Marshall Valvestate VS65R) is a solid state amp. There are generally two types of amps: tube/valve-driven or transistor-driven (solid state).

Tube amps are prized because they have superior tone. When overdriven, the transition into distortion is smoother and more musical than solid-state amps. The downside is that they are considerably more expensive to buy, and to maintain, as the valves need to be changed annually (depending on how hard you drive them).

Solid state amps, on the other hand, are not terrible. Especially with the digital modelling capabilities available now, either built into the amp (eg. Line 6 amps) or external units like the Line 6 POD or Boss GT6, they can come close to emulating the tone from classic tube amps. BUT! Still not as good as the real thing. Oh, and solid state amps are very hardy and reliable, and you don't have to periodically replace their components like tubes (unless you blow a speaker).

And finally, power ratings for tube amps are different to solid state amps. A 30W tube amp can easily match (and exceed?) the loudness of a 65W solid state amp.

Ah.. the relentless pursuit of musical purity...

... or maybe financial bankruptcy Big Grin

Or both.... Sad

When I saw the topic, I was going to suggest fender blues junior or classic 30 Tongue
My friends have those, but the closest I've gotten to playing one is a classic 50 Tongue
hehe
so nice

What did you think of the classic 50 then? And how do your friends' amps sound?

I am Kevin from Washington. I read this article, it is very useful to me. It gives me more needed information. I want to share my opinion with you.

It's no secret that Fender makes great guitar amps, but which one is the best? We think it's the Blues Junior. Find out why. GREAT GUITAR AMPS<a href="http://fenderbluesjunioramps.com">http://fenderbluesjunioramps.com</a>

You're almost 4 years too late, Kevin.
CoolTongueCool

Ah...but his thankfulness is not encumber'd by the surly bonds of time....:|...

....and if you hadn't mentioned it, Keith, I would have blathered away myself!

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Kevin Wrote:It's no secret that Fender makes great guitar amps
Sorry but I beg to differ. Times change I know but in 1974 I purchased a new bandmaster. It lasted 4 months before the speakers blew. I changed it shortly after, for a Kustom ?? 1 x15" 1 x12" Lancing speakers, matched with a Carlsborough 50W bass top . It is still as good today as it was then.
Fender make good guitars.Wink

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

I agree really, with the Bassman the only one I've heard and liked; I remember the sound getting better by daisychaining 2 together somehow. Wasn't the Boogie formed frm ramping up a Princeton or something by Carlos S.?
(And hey nt, who says that just cos a thread is 4 years old it has to be dead!)

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

I haven't had it out of the box for 12 years.
You see, if I drop it I wouldn't hear it, unless maybe if it was plugged in.Big Grin.
If it ain't broke why change it was my motto.
My guitar mad pal changed his guitar every month, and still made them all sound the same, after three days.
How can you get an identical sound from a Telecaster and a Country Gent. He did. Rolleyes

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

It's really all about the gain structure, from pickups to pots to boxes to input stage of the amp to effects loop to output tubes (valves--hopefully!!) to speakers and cabinet rigidity...not overdriving at any point unless it contributes to the final sweet singing goodness.

But no matter what, perfect tone comes straight from the fingers.
I can make almost anyone's rig sound like "me" with very little effort, but the preferred comfort level might not be there.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Jackson Roy
Jun 4, 2020, 09:48