Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Smart colour changing glasses -> filters?

I spotted this article on slashdot about chemists from university of washington working on smart glasses, which allow changing the color of their lenses to virtually colour and shade at a touch of a button.
http://www.networkworld.com/community/?q=node/12995

Quote:Chemists at the University of Washington in Seattle say they are developing ‘smart' sunglasses that will let the wearer instantly change the color of their lenses to virtually any hue of the rainbow. So, whether you like your lenses clear, red, green, blue or purple, virtually any color could be obtained instantly by tuning a tiny electronic knob in the frame, the researchers said in a release.
I was thinking that this technology would make cool lens filters! You could keep them on at all times with a clear setting instead of a UV filter (depending on the thickness, I suppose). At a twist of a dial, you could make them into a grey ND filter, or yellow for B/W work, or orange for sunsets.

Quote:The lenses were created by sandwiching a gel between two layers of electrochromic material. Applying a small voltage moves charged particles from one layer to another, and changes the transparency. Once the glasses are a certain tint they will stay that way without power for about 30 days. A single watch battery is able to power thousands of transitions
Who says science isn't cool? Big Grin

I use UV filters to protect my lenses Tongue

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses

Sounds better than my old reactolite sunglasses. Even the rapid version took so long to change, that the sun had gone in long before.Big Grin

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

sounds like fun!!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by kNox
Dec 4, 2013, 06:30