Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Software Assistance

Hi Everyone,

I need some help on what software I need to purchase. I was recently married and had a professional photographer. He does things a little different in that he doesn't do a album, but he does give you a CD of all the photographs to use/share/print etc. However, there are several photographs that need some editing. For example erasing/soften some wrinkles on some of my guests and also in some of my photographs my face is shiny and I would like to try to fix that as well and then just the general things such as printing color photos in black & white and adjusting the lighting in some of the photographs. I know that a lot of the software out there is expensive which is fine, but I want to make sure I get something that can take care of these problems. Any assistance in this would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome Ispark, and congratulations on you wedding!!
If you had hired a professional, I am surprised, he didn't offer to do those jobs!
I would recommend photoshop as the obvious choice of software, except that getting photoshop might cost you as much as hiring the photographer did.
I am sure someone round here can think of a cheaper option.

uli

Let me start by welcoming you to Shuttertalk. Glad to see you aboard.Smile
You are going to have a couple things to consider. As Uli said Adobe Photoshop is very expensive. Approx $900.00 U.S. It's just that Adobe Photoshop is the industry standard. You might find earlier versions cheaper but they are still pricey. There is an editing software called Paintshop Pro which is considerably cheaper ($99.00 U.S.) and does do the same types of editing. Still, these kinds of software might be much more than you need for simple editing. Adobe Elements is cheaper and will do a lot of the more typical editing that a person will need to just improve of their imaging. You can expect to pay under $100.00 U.S. So having said that Adobe Photoshop Elements is a more $ friendly choice.

But that is not all!!! You have to learn how to use the software. This is not something that comes overnight. My advice to you, find someone you know who is familiar with the software that would be willing to do the work for you. (unless of coarse you have all the time in the world to learn and do it yourself). The reason I say someone you know like a friend? So you don't have to pay big bucks to have it done. Industry standard price is about $75.00 hr.

Back to the Adobe software. There are a ton of tutorials online available for Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Photoshop Elements and Paintshop Pro. If you want to just adjust brightness, colour, contrast and such there is a lot of free software downloads available online. However, they are very limited on what they can do.

Good luck and whatever you decide to do we are here and are eager to help. If you do decide to take the plunge and buy Elements for example then there are many people here who can help and guide you.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

lspark Wrote:Hi Everyone,

I need some help on what software I need to purchase. I was recently married and had a professional photographer. He does things a little different in that he doesn't do a album, but he does give you a CD of all the photographs to use/share/print etc. However, there are several photographs that need some editing. For example erasing/soften some wrinkles on some of my guests and also in some of my photographs my face is shiny and I would like to try to fix that as well and then just the general things such as printing color photos in black & white and adjusting the lighting in some of the photographs. I know that a lot of the software out there is expensive which is fine, but I want to make sure I get something that can take care of these problems. Any assistance in this would be greatly appreciated.
Try Irfanview
Photfiltre
The first is freeware the second I think also free.
Irfanview has a blur in the effects but I could not find a paintbox. (you have one in 'paint' in windows)
Make sure you work on a copy and not the originals

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

hi

my advise...my 1c

maybe will be better to send that cd to a retoucher an ask them how much will they charge to fix what you want. it may be a bit cheaper than to do it urself. some of the programs are a bit complicated and takes time to know them.

hope to see some of your work

take care

Christian

Also check out Paint.NET a freeware program which is apparently good. You just need the Microsoft .net framework installed. Smile

Muzza

"The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer." -Anonymous

I was thinking of photoshop elements when I first responded, but I don't know it, just hear it is really very limited in functions compared to the full version. e. g. it doesn't have the curves, which I consider one of the most important, essential tools.
and to retouch skin wrinkles, doesn't it take rather sophisticated tools? the stamp, or healing brush would help, I guess, does Elements have them?

Ispark, have you asked the photographer to go over the editings you want done with you?

uli

PS: I don't think Irvan view has any useful tools for sophisticated retouching.

You could also get someone to retouch them professionally for you..

I know a couple of people on these forums Rufus and Shellby do it for a living...

I would also recommend Photoshop Elements if you're on a budget. It's really quite powerful, and you get almost all of the features you need.

wulinka Wrote:I was thinking of photoshop elements when I first responded, but I don't know it, just hear it is really very limited in functions compared to the full version. e. g. it doesn't have the curves, which I consider one of the most important, essential tools.
and to retouch skin wrinkles, doesn't it take rather sophisticated tools? the stamp, or healing brush would help, I guess, does Elements have them?

Ispark, have you asked the photographer to go over the editings you want done with you?

uli

PS: I don't think Irvan view has any useful tools for sophisticated retouching.
I agree with what you are saying wulinka, but Ispark can try these for free and get an idea of what they will do for him. If not then go for a better program.
Irfanview doesn't have sophisticated tools but is that required.
I have Photoshop Elements version1, and it is incredibly powerful, but I believe there is a bare bones version of that, possibly called just 'Elements' It does not have curves. It has levels, and I ain't got the hang of that properly yet.
Whatever program you get you must take time to learn it, or all the extras are pointless.
How did you get rid of wrinkles before PS? All the new stuff just makes it easier, the same as the Prosumer cameras and Point and shoot.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

I would also recomend PS Elements. I use it for most of my work. There are a few tools it does not have but it covers most of what you will need. It is also much easier to lean if you don't plan to make your living with it and spend hours working with it.
Also check out Picaso, a free downoad from Google'
Gary

http://www.gdwPhoto.com

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Sabion
Jun 12, 2020, 03:35