Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Sold my Canon 30D - Not Happy

I'm venting. I sold my Canon 30D with all the filters, extra batteries, etc. The camera was serviced last year and the built in flash was replaced. The camera sold for about $20 more than it cost me for the service. I figure that I didn't need it anymore, so I cut my losses. Problem is the buyer contacted me after he got the camera and said the lens would not stay on focus. I don't remember the terminology. He sent it back. I attached the lens to the camera as soon as it arrived and sure enough it moves back and forth very quickly without focusing. It's never done that before, and didn't do it when I checked it out before shipping it. The person that bought it has an address that lets me believe he is in the camera business. Don't know if he buys and sells cameras, or is a photographer or what. I can't help but wonder if this was a trick to switch my lens for a bad one he had. Too bad the lens doesn't have a serial number on it. I'm thinking of putting a hidden mark on things I sell so that if it comes back because it no longer works, I will know if it was the one I shipped or not. Thoughts! Confused

Surprised, very, the Lens does not have a serial number, what make/model, does your original receipt show one. Ed.

To each his own!

That sucks,
My fist thought would be the same as yours ...... "Has it been switched?"
It's a very good con and no way of proving if there isn't a serial number.
Maybe we should take heed in case any of us sell equipment online in future and use an infrared marker pen that shows up under ultraviolet light

Canon EOS 650D with 18-55 kit lens/ 75-300 zoom/ 100-400 zoom
https://www.flickr.com/photos/125137869@N08/

I guess I owe someone an apology. Looking at the lens a little while ago, I found a faint serial number engraved in the black body of the lens. If I had not been standing next to a window I would have probably missed it. I was able to find a copy of my original receipt and found that it has the same serial number. Still bums me, because that lens worked perfectly before it was boxed up. No way to claim damage with the post office as there is no apparent damage to the lens or the box it was shipped in. My grandson looked online and found damaged lenses of the same type being offered for sale for as much as $145. Don't know why anyone would pay that much, since undamaged ones can be found for about the same price.

I checked my Canon lenses for serial numbers and found them in the mount end, although very small.
Some made in Japan, malaysia and Taiiwan.
So a good tip would be to take a photo of the serial no. if a receipt is missing.
I for one have certainly learnt from your bad experience

Canon EOS 650D with 18-55 kit lens/ 75-300 zoom/ 100-400 zoom
https://www.flickr.com/photos/125137869@N08/

Take the Camera/Lens to a main Canon dealer, let them comment on the problem. Ed.

To each his own!

Afterthought!!! Try cleaning the Sensor, as per instructions in book, do not touch it, there probably is a cleaning programme in the menu. Ed.

To each his own!

I know hindsight is 20/20, but I always try to sell valuable things in a face to face meeting. I let the buyer test it out first, and only after we agree that it's in full working order I sell it. That way you eliminate a lot of problems right from the start.

Caveat Emptor! Ed.

To each his own!

(Aug 25, 2014, 15:20)EdMak Wrote:  Caveat Emptor! Ed.

Buyer Beware?
But the OP is/was the seller.

caveat venditor
Seller beware.

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

Your eye is your merchant. Ed.

To each his own!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Barbara G.