Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Sony Alpha and Lenses with Piccies!

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/news/art..._8382.html

The news of the Sony Alpha DSLR system has been out for a few weeks now, after Konica Minolta announced their exit from the photographic business, and the subsequent transitioning of the division to Sony. Let's Go Digital has some cool pictures of not only the camera, but their lens offerings (I would imagine most of it would be heavily borrowed from the Minolta stable).

Impressive range of lenses!
but it may take me a while to get used to seeing "SONY" on lenses Tongue

The 11-18mm looks interesting - wonder if they have a Nikon mount...

This is a promising DSLR system, and Sony's long collaboration with Zeiss WILL continue.
According to Mike Johnston at The Online Photographer several of the lenses shown for the Alpha are in fact from Zeiss.

Brill! This looks quite healthy and exciting; looking forward to seeing the results of having the lenses out on the bench at some point...

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

That's awesome Keith, I guess the Zeiss name is very reputable in terms of lenses - let's hope it turns out well. I just hope Sony doesn't do something stupid like lock photographers into their proprietary memory stick format - that would be tragic. Big Grin

Interesting to see the white lenses there. They seem to be missing a fast standard zoom - something like an equivilent 24-70 2.8 lens.

Sony should bring out some interesting in camera gadgets - they always seem to do things like that on their gear.

Canon stuff.

shuttertalk Wrote:I just hope Sony doesn't do something stupid like lock photographers into their proprietary memory stick format - that would be tragic. Big Grin
Nah, all of those engineers got transferred to the high-definition DVD department.
And their PSP movie department.
And Sony Music.

The camera looks impressive. I'm looking forward to seeing how well its dust-removal system works, and if it's as effective as the one Olympus has. Coupled with anti-shake for every lens, and this could be another 'any time, any where' cameras. (If only it was weather-sealed.)

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

shuttertalk Wrote:That's awesome Keith, I guess the Zeiss name is very reputable in terms of lenses - let's hope it turns out well. I just hope Sony doesn't do something stupid like lock photographers into their proprietary memory stick format - that would be tragic. Big Grin
Sony learned long ago about photographers and memory formats.
The F828 of a few years back started things by having a CF slot in addition to Memory Stick.
The recent R1 handles MS, MS Duo (with adapter) plus the CF I/II and CF Microdrives as well.
Same with the new Alpha DSLR.

Sony's camera division seems to listen to the reviewers and generally fixes their complaints on the top of the line gear while also finding time to push the boundaries.

As far as Zeiss, they are an old and respected name.
Sony uses them for the same reason Panasonic is partnered with Leica.
Japanese electronics giants (that make their own sensors, and most others) coupled with the European lens experts.
Canon and Nikon beware... Wink

Oh dear. I don't know if it's because it's 1.00a.m. but I think I've had a volte face about this.
I'm wondering if these people actually have photographers in mind at all when designing cameras.
In fact, I'd go as far as to say that it looks as if their design process is stimulated not by what a photographer would want, as much as by appeasement and fear of those big guns that have fronted the cash so as to have a stake in it: this A100 seems a tart's-handbag of nods to the contributors of luckybag features: eye-controlled focus, honeycomb metering, image-stabilising... a snippet of Canon here, a wodge of Minolta there..
...yet aren't these just superfluous, given that Sony are vaunting the Zeiss optics? What I mean is, these features are tailored to those snappers who are either lazy, or who know nothing about metering, exposure or light. It's as though Sony have sucked in the glossy trademark features of their "cell" manufacturers but tried to tell us that "it's OK folks; we are brainy really: look, glass with Zeiss written on it." As we all are aware, there's nowt in a name.
Hmm. That and the smoke-and-mirror lock-up presumably.
Sensor size? Sensor type?(These are rhetorical questions and should really be exclamation marks.)
And what of those who maybe went and got an S3, emerging snail-like and tentatively confident of strapping on their Nikon lenses? Oops, wrong again; this time we're going for Zeiss.
Unless I've missed something(quite possible for Zig to do this once he's ascended on the wings of a rant, I admit), Sony seem to have enjoyed the role of a faithless coquette who, after giving herself to one "partner", jilts him at the altar for someone who's got a shinier car and who bases a relationship on the weekly buying of poncy necklaces.
Er, metaphorically, allegedly; etc;

(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Great rant, Zig. It's called acquisition - that's how comapnies get bigger and take control of a market these days - if you can't invent it - buy it... Buy more than one if that's what the customer wants...

Not a tart really - more like a pimp.

Toad, I believe that if I lived in Vancouver, the pair of us would be seen propping the corner of some fly-blown bar, prefacing discussions of either the fairer sex or the Nikon F with "they don't make them like they used to."

Tiy are probably right there. Keep the faith, bro.

LOL thanx for the Rant Zig. Enjoyed it.

/Paul L.

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post