Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Sony launches NEX-VG10 - first interchangeable lens HD camcorder

Looks like Sony has expanded its NEX line from the realms of digital still shooters to camcorders - this time announcing the NEX-VG10 interchangeable lens HD camcorder which is supposedly a world's first. It's capable of recording 1080p video, but also snapping 14.2 megapixel stills with its supplied 18-200mm kit lens.

[Image: sony-nex-vg10.jpg]

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/14/sony-...camcorder/

I don't know about you, but I get a real sense of overlap and the lines becoming blurred...

It won't stay first for long - if at all...

http://43rumors.com/ft3-panasonic-ready-...y-july-28/

Michael Reichmann's Luminous Landscape site had a quick blurb about this, and his observation was that with it not being able to take raw format photos, and doing 1080P/24fps within a 60fps interlaced wrapper - the same as an unhacked GH1, for what it's worth - the new camera seems 'crippled' (his term) for both stills and video. It will be interesting to see what the camera is like in real life - Sony certainly knows a thing or two about making them, but will they put out only a 'good enough' effort so that they continue to protect their high-end camera business?

I do have a lot of respect for Sony, because their F-series cameras remain the only serious effort to design something without the burden of film deciding what it should look like. There's no reason why still cameras shouldn't look like video cameras, or something else that could never have existed with the older recording media. It's about time something new came out.

(And for what it's worth, I've seen the 18-200 lens that the camera is pictured with - that body is a lot smaller than it looks.)

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

I was going to put this comment in before, but didn't but I'm glad you brought it up, Matthew. The technology is certainly there for manufacturers to converge the lines but then the cynic in me says where's the business value in that for them?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by maisie
Oct 6, 2018, 04:55