Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Stockbridge Photography Club Photo of the Week

Thought I would share this with the forum:

Comments anyone?

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

It is difficult to judge a photo other than from the image that appears on your own monitor, which can be very different from the image others see. It is nice to see a well executed shot of something as everyday as this. The author has not be tempted into “HDRing” it or lain down in the gutter to get a worms eye view. Just a plain head on shot. Nice composition, though it is a tad too tightly cropped for me. Plenty of detail in the stonework and railings, but the whites are a little blown out, on my monitor, and could do with a bit more detail in the doors.

(Oct 18, 2013, 17:40)Barbara G. Wrote:  Thought I would share this with the forum:

Comments anyone?

It has a nice exposure, and good composition with the repetition of the door theme.
Strong diagonals on the railings pulling the eye to the center door.
The histogram shows NO blown out highlights (sorry Dean).
It could have used a little more color saturation, but we are talking about England, where everyone carries an umbrella.
I like it. Nicely done for a D40.

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

(Oct 19, 2013, 02:52)Dean Wrote:  It is difficult to judge a photo other than from the image that appears on your own monitor, which can be very different from the image others see. It is nice to see a well executed shot of something as everyday as this. The author has not be tempted into “HDRing” it or lain down in the gutter to get a worms eye view. Just a plain head on shot. Nice composition, though it is a tad too tightly cropped for me. Plenty of detail in the stonework and railings, but the whites are a little blown out, on my monitor, and could do with a bit more detail in the doors.

Dean;

As I said in my other post, the histogram shows a nice even exposure with nothing fully to the right or left edges.
Most monitors (and TV's) come from the factory with the brightness turned WAY up. That's so they can compete in a showroom situation with bright store lighting.
That's not the way we view them at home.
Try turning down the brightness on your monitor a little and see if those highlight details don't pop in.
I just ran a calibration on my monitor yesterday, and it ALWAYS turns down the brightness quite a bit from the default.

2HowardsPhoto.biz

I was viewing on my Macbook. Calibrated a few weeks ago, but must have another look at it.

(Oct 21, 2013, 01:48)Dean Wrote:  I was viewing on my Macbook. Calibrated a few weeks ago, but must have another look at it.

Dean;

How are you calibrating?
Manually?
Or with a colorimeter?

2HowardsPhoto.biz

(Oct 21, 2013, 10:16)Wall-E Wrote:  
(Oct 21, 2013, 01:48)Dean Wrote:  I was viewing on my Macbook. Calibrated a few weeks ago, but must have another look at it.

Dean;

How are you calibrating?
Manually?
Or with a colorimeter?
Used a Spyder, last time.

Spam posts removed...

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

[quote='Barbara G.' pid='90100' dateline='1382139600']
Thought I would share this with the forum:

Comments anyone

A superb technical achievement with excellent clarity, focus and colour. The composition is a little static for my taste.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Barbara G.
Aug 3, 2020, 06:59