Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Street Photography

Hi all, despite the excellent Caveman thread on London which this could fit, to me it is so 'street' that it has to go here.

It's Borough Market and is similar in a way to one of Caveman's images. But everything about this grocer's speaks cockney humour if you ask me. Look at the guy's hat. Look at the notices on the wall, the daft clock, the assistant's get up and expression. Hope you like it. And I hope it meets the street criteria!

All the best - any edits most welcome - Jeff

Attached Files Image(s)

That's a very interesting and colourful street shop shot, Jeff (1400 x 790 would be even better!). Almost expect to see one of the signs saying, "30p each or 3 for £1.00"!

Cheers.
Philip

This thread has gotten to be a wonderful collection of global views. We are becoming quite a community.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Quote:Hi all, despite the excellent Caveman thread on London which this could fit, to me it is so 'street' that it has to go here.

It's Borough Market and is similar in a way to one of Caveman's images. But everything about this grocer's speaks cockney humour if you ask me. Look at the guy's hat. Look at the notices on the wall, the daft clock, the assistant's get up and expression. Hope you like it. And I hope it meets the street criteria!

All the best - any edits most welcome - Jeff
Thats a great street shot, jeff. The composition is somewhat central. but that's what can happen when you either get the shot or adjust the composition and possibly miss the shot. Borough market is a street shot paradise.

GrahamS
Take my advice.  I'm not using it.Wink

makes me hungry!,lovely pic!

SmileJohn

Hi all

I appreciate the replies on Borough Market for which many thanks and I have not forgotten the suggestion to have a London shoot day. Looking at my Borough Market images makes me feel inclined to revisit and explore a bit more. I will try to remember to post here when I do and maybe you would like to also?

Cheers

Jeff

Hi Guys As mentioned elsewhere, I will be in London on 26th April, that's next Tuesday, and free for a photo shoot from 9am to about 2.00pm if anyone would like to meet up somewhere interesting.

Regards, Jeff

(Apr 22, 2016, 10:49)Freeman Wrote:  Hi Guys As mentioned elsewhere, I will be in London on 26th April, that's next Tuesday, and free for a photo shoot from 9am to about 2.00pm if anyone would like to meet up somewhere interesting.

Regards, Jeff
workingSad

SmileJohn

Hi all

I've added selected images from my walkabout on Tuesday elsewhere but on this street photography thread I would like to add one or two from Stratford tube/Docklands Light Railway station for your thoughts...all the best, Jeff

Attached Files Image(s)

Hello everyone,

I'm a new member and found your Street Photography forum. Really enjoyed all of your work. It's always fascinating to see candid shots from around the world. Street photography is truly photography in its purest form. Thought I'd share some of my shots from Minnesota.

The first photo was taken of a woman in a cafe reading a menu in St Paul, Minnesota. The second photo was shot in downtown Hastings, Minnesota which is a historic river town. I was walking and saw these two guys out for a joyride. 

Chris

Chris, the resolution of your images is too high for this forum - your images display too large to fit on most screens. Please re-post at 1024x683px max.

GrahamS
Take my advice.  I'm not using it.Wink

(Apr 9, 2017, 03:16)GrahamS Wrote:  Chris, the resolution of your images is too high for this forum - your images display too large to fit on most screens. Please re-post at 1024x683px max.

I agree - as I wrote in your introduction thread, Chris.

When viewed as complete images, the first looks good, the second does nothing for me, and the third is a good image - looks like good panning, and it is well-composed. The first would be better for me with the blown out sign on the left cropped away, and the second could be better composed - perhaps much less of the uninteresting space on the left and without the half-person on the right. Just one person's opinion, of course. Wink

Cheers.
Philip

I only see two images posted. I am on pills, confusion is one side effect, won't mention the others.

The cafe shot has prospects, I would sharpen the closest glass, make it stand out

Car is great, a bit of post processing would make it even better. Ed.

To each his own!

(Apr 9, 2017, 11:47)EdMak Wrote:  I only see two images posted. I am on pills, confusion is one side effect, won't mention the others.

The cafe shot has prospects, I would sharpen the closest glass, make it stand out

Car is great, a bit of post processing would make it even better.  Ed.

Ed,  

Thanks for your comments. I resized the photos and deleted one. Forgot to edit my post. I'm going to post some more photos shortly. 

Chris.

(Jan 5, 2016, 07:03)GrahamS Wrote:  Just another thought:  It occurs to me that there are two other genres that are often confused with "Street photography."  These are "Urban landscapes" and "Environmental portraits."  Sometimes it is difficult to differentiate between the three.  True street photographs usually include people doing amusing things or in juxtaposition with others or other elements in the frame and who are unaware of the camera.  However, this is not written in stone, as some good street photographs do not include people at all, but may have objects or features of structures as the subject.

Urban landscapes are photographs of an urban scene which can include crowds of people, crowded sidewalks or gatherings and which depict the overall scene with emphasis on the buildings, bridges or roads.

Environmental portraits are photographs of people illustrating their activity or work in a particular environment or location.  A portrait of a coal miner with a face blackened with coal dust comes to mind.  The treatment is usually more formalised and posed than a candid street photograph.

Photo club judges sometimes find it difficult to define the three genres especially when judging competitions where the entries may comprise of all three.  There are, however, no hard and fast rules, but if you are trying to improve your street photography skills, it may pay you to decide which type of photograph you are going to create before you release the shutter.

I think you had a good experience with street photography. Although it is one of the challenging jobs.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post