Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Street Photography

One way of getting round getting the okay from your subjects! Taken on the beach at Elie. As you can see, they are dressed for a typical visit to the seaside in Scotland.

Nikon D80, 1/320 sec, f5.7, ISO 250, 202mm lens equivalent.

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

Severe lack of Street!!! Nice one John. Ed.

To each his own!

Masterful composition.

GrahamS
Take my advice.  I'm not using it.Wink

Dog walker

Attached Files Image(s)

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

(Jan 9, 2016, 10:00)GrahamS Wrote:  If anyone is interested, you can see more of my street shots here:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsksdddMf

Not all are good, and I haven't had time to caption them yet, but comments would be appreciated here.

Hi Graham and especially everybody else on the forum - Graham is a master of this genre. I have looked at all his pictures on this account and am staggered by the timing, clarity, composition, humour, and understanding of what makes a picture. I found it breath-taking frankly, Graham, and we are not talking about a handful of good shots, there are 130 or so. Impossible to choose favourites but how about the baptism scene. Extraordinary!

I attach my own feeble attempts at a picture after Graham Serretta.

Carry on commenting, Graham!

Regards and appreciation

Jeff

Attached Files Image(s)

Jeff, you are too kind, sir and flattery will get you everywhere.....

Thank you for your praise, I do appreciate it. Knowing that my images have brought pleasure is the ultimate reward. You are not too bad yourself. The cabaret legs could come to life at any moment and the colour is wonderful. The chap holding the "closing down" sign portrays a feeling of dejection and sadness. I wonder if he owned the store or maybe lost his job there? The shadow in the right foreground contributes some of the feeling of doom to the shot yet I can't say why? Just a small crit - I would straighten the verticals in the second shot and possibly crop out some of the blue pillar at the same time.

GrahamS

Here is a nice shot I captured on a visit to York. The fountain was my main focus, but just as I was ready to take the shot the young couple hugged, prior to parting. Most fortuitous.

Nikon D80, 1/80 sec, f7.1, ISO 250, 99mm lens equivalent.

You haven't waved the magic wand over it. Ed.

To each his own!

I spruced it up a little, but it is an old image and the look is conducive with the day.

Nice one, John. York is one of my favourite hunting grounds.

GrahamS

I meant Photoshop/Lightroom, all the exif says is Microsoft Windows Photo... Ed.

To each his own!

Are you sure? It says Lightroom 6.3 my end. I even downloaded the posted image to confirm. Are you reading the EXIF in Adobe Bridge?

If I view an image downloaded from the forum, in ACDSee 19, then the EXIF says "Software: ACDSee 19". Are you checking the EXIF in Microsoft Windows Photo?
I think I know what is happening. The last thing I do is resize the image in ACDSee. That must strip out some of the EXIF data!

Not Bridge, via Properties, always assumed this was enough.
A day you learn something is not a day wasted, thanks. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

That is not my image. My image is called "Howe Street, Edinburgh 10-7-14" and is shot on a Nikon D80. Here is the properties as shown by ACDSee 19.

Sorry John, I clicked on the wrong image.
I was referring actually to, Fountain in York. Only excuse is 14 pills a day at the moment. Cheers. Ed.

To each his own!

No. It's me that is wrong. It should have read "Fountain in Parliament Street York 29-6-10" but with the following Properties panel.

Still not the Exif data you are referring to.

More thanks, that is what I get, obviously, when I click on the correct pic, no ref. to Lightroom. Which prompted my post regarding it. Never thought to look via Bridge, until now assumed both would be the same. Live sure gets complicated. Cheers. Ed.

To each his own!

Hi guys

So how far can we stretch street photography? Digital photography Feb 16 suggests it is an extremely broad genre. (Mind you, I rather like Graham's three categories of street). Maybe these count?

All the best

Jeff

1. Bird fest in Quito
2. Kerala backwaters - villages only reached by water - children appear beside our boat at night, full of anticipation ....

Attached Files Image(s)

Jeff, I like those two shots very much, especially the Bird fest in Quito. You really did hit the decisive moment with that one. Without the chap in the Tigres T-shirt the image wouldn't have nearly as much impact.

In my opinion, yes, street photography can comprise urban landscapes as well as environmental portraits as well as architecture, but only on a case for case basis. Not all urban landscapes fit the label "Street" and not all environmental portraits can be classified as "street" and so on. It depends on the individual, but it helps to have a clear understanding of the boundaries between the three in order to produce good work without relying on luck.

Here's another of mine. Is it street, or is it urban landscape?

GrahamS

Hi Graham

Regent's Park perhaps? With him looking at them and them looking at him, it's street? Yes? Cheers, Jeff

I posted a comment here, yesterday, but it has disappeared. I love the shot of the guy on the bench. He could not have been better positioned if he had been directed to look where he is looking.

(Jan 30, 2016, 13:34)Jocko Wrote:  I posted a comment here, yesterday, but it has disappeared. I love the shot of the guy on the bench. He could not have been better positioned if he had been directed to look where he is looking.

If you see any other issues, please let me know so I can address this with the admin. I have not removed any posts recently.

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Jeff - Quite correct, Regent's Park and I classify it as 'Street." The eye is drawn straight to the boater hat and then one wonders who the guy is thats wearing it? What is he doing there? The path leads to an out of focus distant scene, clearly not the subject of the shot.

John - Glad you like the shot. I had to sneak up on him, praying that he wouldn't hear me and turn around. I waited until the crowd in the distance made some noise, loud laughter, to make sure he was attracted in their direction.

Minolta X300, 50mm f1.8 Minolta lens, Fuji 200 Superia colour negative film. I don't remember the exposure settings other than that the aperture was f5.6.

GrahamS

Street without people - only it's all about people?

Allow?

Cheers,

Jeff

Attached Files Image(s)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post