Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Street photography. How to feel comfortable with?!

Hi everyone.

I've been doing a lot of street photography lately, and I've notice that sometimes is quite difficult to approach people you don't know, or to use your big dslr in the middle of strangers, specially if you are a beginner.

I remember my first days in photography when my 55-200 was the best way to do it Tongue but things are harder now with a 35mm...
I'm usually lucky, and I think smilling while asking someone for a photo is important, but is there any others techniques that could help us to improve our fear of shooting people or being in public with our camera?!

The idea of being confronted can increase anxiety so I guess being prepared for it will lessen the burden. Having ready scripts like "I'm a photography student and I'm just practicing", or, "I'm doing a photography project. Hope you don't mind" can make you feel ready just in case someone comes up to you. Smile

-DK

Good tips for sure DK.
Usually receiving a "no" does't hurt so its better to keep shooting. I believe its quite easier
to shoot people if you start in your local area with people you see everyday in your journey, it builds confidence that will help you in the future.

[b][i][color=#006400]
Daniel, Sony Canada runs "seminars"@ the head office in Toronto. They teach you how to use your equipment or the newer releases. I was invited to go to Montreal for "Fashion Week". Although I am not interested in "Fashion" they had seminars on "Street Photography" and "Instagram". Taught by leaders in the field. ( Peter Power & Graeme Roy) Peter, a successful major newspaper photographer took us on an adventure through the streets of "Old Montreal". It was a blast to be sure, we had to approach people, get permission, and get the shot, quickly. Then he showed us how he does it. The permission is the hardest part... you have to talk to the people, not so easy for some. A gentle smile, quick detail of (who/what) you are, and get shooting. Get close.. you already have permission, get the detail that caught your eye.Practice makes perfect, but once you get over the first few words I find it easy. Yes I was shut down by someone, but he was just as friendly with me as I was with him. Just like your gear... practice, practice, practice.

Wow...now that's an experience. I've been watching some youtube videos about this subject ( Matt Granger) and he is really comfortable talking to people.
But you are right nothing is better than practicing!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post