Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Strictly For The Birds

Hello,

Long time, no post! I wanted to share a few of my favorite bird shots. I especially enjoy portrait style captures. It's such a thrill and honor to photograph these living works of art!

Tony

[Image: DSCN7824-L.jpg]

[Image: glorious%20cormorant-L.jpg]

[Image: Great%20Blue%20Heron%20Tony%20Britton%202014-L.jpg]

[Image: cormorants2016-L.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5093-L.jpg]

[Image: bestwestlake2013%20a%20%283%29-L.jpg]

Here's a link to my collection of bird photographs:
Strictly For The Birds

Best regards,

Tony

"My wife & I make the perfect point-and-shoot photography team. She points and I shoot!"

I enjoy looking at these amazing pictures.

(Mar 12, 2016, 11:01)Jeffbridge Wrote:  I enjoy looking at these amazing pictures.
Thanks very much, Jeff. Here's a few more I hope you'll enjoy!

Tony

[Image: woodducks2014sx50%20%281%29%283%29-L.jpg]

[Image: audubon2015tonybritton%20%2814%29-L.jpg]

[Image: img_4471%20-%20copy-L.jpg]

[Image: DSCN3049-L.jpg]

[Image: scbirdclub2013updates%20%2845%29-L.jpg]

"My wife & I make the perfect point-and-shoot photography team. She points and I shoot!"

Fantastic series.

Superb series Tony !

Superb photographs. Works of art.

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

Stunning. Ed.

To each his own!

(Mar 12, 2016, 13:45)EdMak Wrote:  Stunning. Ed.

WOW!Smile

All these are superb photos of the birds, Tony. My personal preference is for those in which the background is out-of-focus but gives a strong hint of the natural scene, rather than being just plain black. The exposures, contrast and colours look perfect to me, and the birds are sharp without being over-sharpened.

There are some shooting settings listed in your image files' EXIF data, but it might also be of help and interest to other members if you could describe something of your photography of these birds: Are they wild and in the wild? Are they timid or used to having humans around in their habitat? Do you photo from a hide? Do you use a tripod? Have you applied any post-processing (other than re-sizing) and if so, which software?

I'm sure any information would be appreciated. Smile

Cheers.
Philip

His link in profile is informative. Ed.

http://www.tonybritton.smugmug.com/

To each his own!

(Mar 12, 2016, 11:34)EnglishBob Wrote:  Fantastic series.
Thanks, Craig. Congratulations on your marvelous website. Your photo titled "Mono Lake Tufa in monochrome" is especially superb!

Tony

(Mar 12, 2016, 12:10)Vanisle John Wrote:  Superb series Tony !
Thank you very much, Vanisle John.

Tony

(Mar 12, 2016, 12:47)Jocko Wrote:  Superb photographs. Works of art.
Thanks for looking and especially for commenting, John.

Tony

I appreciate that, Ed.

Tony

(Mar 12, 2016, 13:48)caveman Wrote:  

WOW!Smile
Thank you very much, caveman.

Tony

(Mar 12, 2016, 13:57)MrB Wrote:  All these are superb photos of the birds, Tony. My personal preference is for those in which the background is out-of-focus but gives a strong hint of the natural scene, rather than being just plain black. The exposures, contrast and colours look perfect to me, and the birds are sharp without being over-sharpened.

There are some shooting settings listed in your image files' EXIF data, but it might also be of help and interest to other members if you could describe something of your photography of these birds: Are they wild and in the wild? Are they timid or used to having humans around in their habitat? Do you photo from a hide? Do you use a tripod? Have you applied any post-processing (other than re-sizing) and if so, which software?

I'm sure any information would be appreciated. Smile

Cheers.
Philip
Thanks very much, Philip. The images that I've posted thus far and will continue to post in this thread are all wild birds. All images were taken hand-held. I shoot using point-and-shoot super zoom cameras. Instead of using my zoom to capture relatively distant subjects, I use the zoom to "fill the frame" with a relatively close proximity subject. Obviously, this results in a major difference in the amount of detail I'm able to capture. I can't remember the last time I had to crop an image!

I have a clear goal in mind before I purchase any camera and the fact that I mainly prefer portrait style images of birds and wildlife made the following decisions quite easy. I needed to scout locations that would allow me to get close enough to wild birds, for example, and allow me to fill the frame and compose the shot without the need to crop the image, if at all possible. Fishing harbors where fishermen clean their catch-of-the-day have always provided the best opportunities to photograph cormorants, herons, egrets and pelicans. And some of these birds, like people, are simply more approachable than others! Those are the ones pictured here and on my website! Lakes and ponds have provided the best opportunities to photograph Green Herons. The photos I'll continue to post here are of a Green Heron that allows me to approach within 3-5 feet! How fortunate is that!

As you know, it's all about capturing as much detail as possible in-the-field. I'm able to capture what I call good "foundation images" and these respond extremely well to post-processing. I use Photoshop Elements 12 and if I detect visible noise then I'll also use Topaz Labs DeNoise software, which I think is excellent.

If you or anyone is interested in even more information with regard to how I use my favorite camera, the Canon SX50, for the type of photography I enjoy then please follow this link:
Canon SX50 Hints & Tips
I'm constantly updating it as I discover new techniques and strategies.

Best regards,

Tony

Thanks very much, everyone!

Tony

[Image: DSCN0301-L.jpg]

[Image: sx50soocsamples2013%20%28111%29-M.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3702-L.jpg]

[Image: DSCN1552-L.jpg]

[Image: i-McXTBFS-L.jpg]

[Image: IMG_8825-L.jpg]

Tony, thank you for the information and the link, and of course, thank you for posting more wonderful photos. Smile

Cheers.
Philip

My Wife shoots with a Canon SX 520 and it has quite the zoom as well, I've been looking at the SX50 as an upgrade for her and this series may just push me to buy it.

(Mar 12, 2016, 21:23)EnglishBob Wrote:  My Wife shoots with a Canon SX 520 and it has quite the zoom as well, I've been looking at the SX50 as an upgrade for her and this series may just push me to buy it.
Along with the Canon SX50 I own the Canon SX40, Canon G11 and the Nikon Coolpix P610. In fact, I'm currently enjoying my second SX50 as my first one failed after several years of service. The SX50 remains my favorite camera.....twice!

Here's a direct link to my Canon SX50 HS gallery:
Canon SX50 HS Gallery

Tony

More favorites!

[Image: copy%20of%20img_9491%282%29-L.jpg]

[Image: 2015cormorantseries-L.jpg]

[Image: Brown%20Pelican-L.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0372-L.jpg]

[Image: flickrcormorant2013-L.jpg]

[Image: i-GrTVZKx-L.jpg]

A few of my favorite black & white images. Thanks for looking!

[Image: greategretb%26w%20%289%29-L.jpg]

[Image: DSCN2778-L.jpg]

[Image: Great%20Egret%20Black%20and%20White%202014-L.jpg]

Lovely images, and so sharp.

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

Extremely exquisite. Ed.

To each his own!

excellent x 3Smile

SmileJohn

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Feb 14, 2015, 06:41