Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Struggling... so what is everyone up to?

Hi all, just wondering what everyone is up to?

I've been going through a rough patch photographically - call it burn out or post-trip depression if you will, but I haven't gone near my camera since getting back from Europe. There are 60 gigs of photos waiting for me to process them and I've only just started to scrape up the motivation again to sort through them (4 weeks later) ...

Can anyone identify with this? This slump in interest has also been very noticeable as well in terms of my posting at ST... I sincerely apologise for that - I endeavour to get back into the thick of things again...

Anyway, just wanted to say hi, and hope everyone is doing ok... Big Grin

Hey ST - sometimes it is so hard to overcome that lack of motivation.

Maybe just grab a hundred or so pictures at random from your trip and have a go at them - you might get inspired Smile

Canon stuff.

I usually go through a slump after any period when I've taken a lot of pictures -- a trip, wedding, or ever a lot of shooting over a busy weekend. I find it's a combination of camera burn-out and dread at having to go through and sort all of the resulting images. But as with everything, enthusiasm will return with time and any unmanageable task can be broken down into smaller chunks.

I suppose I'm in a similar spot with my new place; there's a lot of work to be done to make it the way I want it, but the intensity of the initial move and renovations has left me unenthused about tackling the rest of it. For example, right now I should be organizing the dining/work room, but I'm not...

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

ST, every time I come back from a trip. I see my pictures and very seldom work with all of them. Sometimes just a few and leave all for the feature. This is the great side of us that we have photography as a hobby. No one is waiting for pictures... Take your time.... you will see that in few months even in a year, you will see those pictures and you'll get very much enthusiasm, that you will share them. I am still working with pictures I took in Italy in 2005... And it is amazing the most recient pictures are the better ones... Smile

Things around here...
Few weeks ago I started taking serious my pictures with my 24-105mm going out and taking pictures of buildings and details in the street, (not people). At the beginning I found ugly pictures and I was so scared. I didn't know how to take good pictures with this lens, where to look for motifs, details in a street. I've been working a lot in this, nothing worth to post in ST.

I am getting ready for my flight to Mexico in 2 weeks and my 2 months stay there. Going shopping to buy what my family has asked me to buy.

I keep visiting the Club of Arts, as they call it, in Eutin a city near the Baltic sea. There is already an informal proposal of an exposition next year along with another German photographer that has been in Mexico... He proposes to make an exposition where I show my impressions of Germany and he shows his impressions of Mexico.... Not exactly what I really want, but it is an opportunity and an experience. I'll take it.

My appologies for not being active lately, but I have still lots to do....

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Assisting my wife with re-designing her garden. You know the heavy bits. Rolleyes Driving her to supermarket. Figuring out how to transport 4.8 metres lengths of timber on the roof rail of the estate.
Drilling angle iron for stakes..will last longer than wood. Thinking of how to dig holes for fence posts, without it hurting too much.Trying to figure out why my shots are not sharp. Probably 69 yr old hand shake. Oh boy I should have been born old and worked my way younger.
If I had known then what I know now, and haven't now got the energy for .......Big Grin:/

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

I've been occupied with photography classes, the first series were good, disappointed with the second series, First hour of 2 hour class spent looking at class photos, 2nd hour twaddling on about stuff I have learnt reading the forums. Was going to do the portraiture class but am having second thoughts, $60 for 4 hours! Any good books I can read or do you think its worth going to see the practical side?

However I have had a win, have stopped the bots from registering on my Forum, up to last Saturday spent 15 mins clearing the rubbish from the forum every morning - so got over my fear of mucking up the forum and added a script and no more bots! Sigh of relief Smile

Its been rain, rain and more rain coming, no morning walks and I am becoming twitchy, maybe I should buy an exercise machine Big Grin

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses

I know that feeling, and it doesn't seem to get better the longer you look at the heap of pics waiting for you.
Sometimes it makes me run out and shoot randomly, even though I know more raw data is the last thing I need Smile

have a leisurely browse through your pics and start working on some of your favorites, the rest will come automatically, is what I find. These days I am not shooting so much, but often going back through files from the past 6 or so months and I still find things I hadn't considered worth editing before.

Settling back into your home after travelling comes with all kinds of slumps I find, not just photographically.
Might help to have a routine that gives you the impression that you are being useful, doing something.

you can always do some laundry, dust the house another time.... Big Grin

or just take a nap!
[Image: 98_Image00001.jpg]

Uli

Thanks for the tips and encouragement everyone, it's good to know that others face the same challenges! I'll try to take it slowly... Big Grin